Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got this? It attaches to the liscence plate screws and has a little screen in the cab about the size of a portable GPS. Runs around 98 bucks. Good? Bad? Worth it or weak?

·
Super Moderator
160,768 Posts
If it's wireless, it's weak. Ask Helinut about his.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife has one on her Expedition. Works good. Like anything else, it has its good and bad points:

Good:
1. Easy to install. Just run a wire from the reverse light and ground to the camera, and run a power/ground wire for the TV inside.
2. Clear view (most of the time - see below). You can see everything as you back up. It's color as well, and this just adds to the value.

Bad:
1. Any wireless device is susceptible to interference. There are a few times when I can be backing up, and the picture goes in and out. There are times when we can be going down the road, and other nearby wireless cameras will make the internal TV come on, and you'll see whatever the other camera is viewing.

Overall, the camera is well worth the money. I strongly recommend getting it, especially if your truck is not equipped with the backup warning sensors. It was seriously worth its money - you never have to worry if there is a kid or a kid's toy behind your truck.

DipStick

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
yeah, i was thinking of gettin' one of these too. they have pallets of these at costco too, which is where i've seen these. hmmm, i may just end up getting one for short term till i go DVD HU... thanks DipStick for the azzezment! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. Appreciate your help. I am no good at wiring though, so I would have to get it done for me.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
FLfinfan said:
Anyone got this? It attaches to the liscence plate screws and has a little screen in the cab about the size of a portable GPS. Runs around 98 bucks. Good? Bad? Worth it or weak?

98 bucks I just paid 40 bucks at the walley world around the corner about a week ago.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I had one for 29 days. It wouldn't transmit the length of the Bed, losy reception. Looked OK in the store. Going to a dual camera wired systemnow in progress.

It must work for some, they sell 10's of thousands of them VR3 systems everywhere I go I see them. A local speed shop sells it for only $199!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of what you did to mount the display of any of these (wireless or wired)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I got a wired colored/night vision camera on mine... its hooked up to my indash dvd player... real nice... along with the backup sensors...

LET ME REPHRASE MYSELF... I HAD all this... then the dealer wrecked my stuff and its in process of gettin everything back on... :eh:

still worth it to get a camera though... its saved me a few times with like lil stumps and/or poles I wouldnt have been able to see back there

·
Super Moderator
93,609 Posts
If it's sold at Walmart for $98, I imagine that you will get what you paid for.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If it tends to be affected by interference it will likely be worse behind my 5th wheel. Too bad. I was hoping for a wireless solution.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Look at the box to see if the display is the two or four button model. The new one is four button (the brightness and contrast are the other two). The company does not change the model number so you need to be careful.

My local Wal-Mart displays the four button model and the ones they are selling are two button. I did not get it and found the four button model at Target. I have not installed it yet so I can't give an opinion at this time.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of responses to this so I guess alot of people are thinking or have thunk (?) along the same lines. When I test drove a new Tundra months ago I really liked the back up camera. Automatically comes on when you go into reverse.
Won't switch trucks for this feature though.
So far I have been really carefull and actually get out of the truck and look behind it (even in a 3 point turn in tight quarters) instead of ramming things. That don't happen too much in familiar surroundings. Usually only in places I don't frequent all the time.

Glad I posted before buying the camera.

·
Registered
909 Posts
OK, I bought 3 of these. And all 3 sucked. Why 3? Well I figured maybe I got a bad unit. The package showed a TT and an RV. I figured it would work. It did within 4' of the camera. Trust me guys I manage a Costco and suggested to my buyers we not carry this item. But for $79 it works for smaller cars etc.. I did notice this year (we got 'em in last week again) that there is no picture of an RV or TT on the packaging. Go figure. I called corporate last year to inform them 'cause we/I dont like to sell BS. I guess they decided it was good enough for cars so we will still sell it but they have to change the packaging so it only refers to cars. Just wish it worked for my truck.. Well, you know the saying if it sounds too good to be ............................

BTW, works fine on my neighbor's Altima. If you buy one for your Titan and it works please let me know....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I bought the walmart one. It does have some slight interfernece some times but not too bad. I got it for hooking up my trailer mainlt, i got sick and tired of getting in and out 3 times to get it ligned up right. Its worth every penny to me. There may be better or worse ones out there but for $100 and a ten minute installation it was well worth it to me.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
krh2 said:
OK, I bought 3 of these. And all 3 sucked. Why 3? Well I figured maybe I got a bad unit. The package showed a TT and an RV. I figured it would work. It did within 4' of the camera. Trust me guys I manage a Costco and suggested to my buyers we not carry this item. But for $79 it works for smaller cars etc.. I did notice this year (we got 'em in last week again) that there is no picture of an RV or TT on the packaging. Go figure. I called corporate last year to inform them 'cause we/I dont like to sell BS. I guess they decided it was good enough for cars so we will still sell it but they have to change the packaging so it only refers to cars. Just wish it worked for my truck.. Well, you know the saying if it sounds too good to be ............................

BTW, works fine on my neighbor's Altima. If you buy one for your Titan and it works please let me know....
[email protected]! i was just looking at one today at the scripps-poway costco... almost pulled the trigger!

·
Registered
909 Posts
hooligan said:
[email protected]! i was just looking at one today at the scripps-poway costco... almost pulled the trigger!
Well, Prometheus(Totuga)pick it up. If it works for you maybe they improved the range from last year. If not take it back for a refund. Either way let me know bro. BTw if you are ever in Santee stop in and say hello mofo. I've known you on line for almost 4 years and never met you.
K

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
krh2 said:
Well, Prometheus(Totuga)pick it up. If it works for you maybe they improved the range from last year. If not take it back for a refund. Either way let me know bro. BTw if you are ever in Santee stop in and say hello mofo. I've known you on line for almost 4 years and never met you.
K
alright, i'll give it a try... if it don't work i can put it in my wife's truck. :cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Where is everyone mounting the display? (those who had or currently have it)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Trust me on this guys. THEY SUCK!!!! Not worth it. I have gone through the entire gauntlet with the wireless cameras. There are NO wireless cameras worth buying. They will only go out when you need them the most. I even bought the $299 BOYO unit and it was no better than the VR3 that everyone is talking about. All had to be returned. Dont waste your money. You will only end up buying what you should have bought in the first place. A WIRED UNIT PERIOD. Just as easy to hook up as a wireless unit. I have the Kenwood CCD-900 camera now (will have pics later)$229 and the Sound storm 5.6 in. SSV56M with remote for the monitor $129. No interference, I mean none. The monitor has two video inputs so I can have a backup camera for the truck and I can hook up another camera for my TT with sound as well. I havent bought the Travel trailer camera yet but it will be cheaper than the truck camera because it doesnt have to be so small. It will also have night vision as well. So please dont waste your money on wireless. It will only piss you off when using them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts