Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know louder is better, but I just bought a 2005 Titan and the muffler is LOUD! With 3 kids in the back seat I don't need anymore noise. This is my first truck so I don't know much about these things.

What muffler would you recommend that would be quiet without sacrificing that much power and fuel economy?

Thanks!
Matt

·
Super Moderator
93,465 Posts
I have heard that Zoomers is pretty mellow and still gives decent power. What do you have on it now?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've read Gibson is on the quieter side. I'll guess your truck has an after market muffler id the noise is bothering you. Any exhaust note is minimal in my truck while cruising on the interstate. You could get a stock muffler but they are not exactly silent either nor cheap.

I like quiet as well so I have done a little research on this forum about the issue. Gibson is reportedly quiet until you give it WOT or a lot of throttle. The stock exhaust system was kind of expensive when I compared it to after market brands.

200 Exhaust Tube & Muffler :: Exhaust & Cooling :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Titan Parts (A60) 2004-2008 :: CourtesyParts.com

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
801 Posts
get a 22"magnaflow I think they might even have a 24". it will be quieter then a bullet. The Gibsons are known to be quieter but they are pricey

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Where are you located? I have a stock system for an '05 CC

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't think it would do that much if the truck is too loud for you. I would say look under the truck at the muffler and see if it says what brand it is cause that could help us. Dont know how much one of those tips go for but probably not much cheaper than a new magnaflow installed. Most good quality tips are not cheap that why I say that

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
What about adding a Zoomer Silencer tip to the exhaust?
Put a 22" 5x11 Magnaflow on it, and that's less expensive than the Zoomers tip.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Here is how you quiet a mufler: Get an Armored Saint CD and turn it up.
Carlos Santana also has some skills for solving the problem, as do the Scorpions, The Marine Corps band, or even perhaps Patti Loveless.

Outside of this?
I reccommend a trip to the tire shop.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Put a 22" 5x11 Magnaflow on it, and that's less expensive than the Zoomers tip.
I agree 100%. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the 22'' 5x11 center inlet/outlet is the quietest free flowing muffler you can buy.

Make sure you buy the center inlet/outlet muffler. It has 2 cores inside and will be quieter than the one that has an offset inlet/outlet. The offset mufflers have a single core that runs straight through at a slight angle and will be louder because it won't be able to absorb as much of the packing inside.
This is stictly referring to the 5x11x22 Magnaflow. Good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a Magnaflow 5X8X24 on a JBA Evol exhaust and the drone is not horrible. The 5X11X22 has a dual core design and will give you about the same performance as a stock muffler. I did some reasearch before buying and found a bunh of Chevy truck guys swapping out the 5X11X22 or the 5X8X24 because they were not happy with the performance. I then called Magnaflow directly and the guy there recommended that I stay away from the 5X11X22 if I want any performance gains because it is restrictive. That muffler was designed as a OEM replacement and not a performance muffler.

By the way, do a search on cutting the tailpipe back a bit to reduce drone.

Here are links to the mufflers too:

5X8X24

5X11X22

·
Registered
7,353 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
i agree with magnaflow. the bigger the muffler the quieter. and performance is pretty good. go to your local muff shop and they'll take care of you. finding a quiet muffler is not hard at all. it's finding a loud deep one that people get picky with.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
stock is very quiet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called a local shop today and they can put a MagnaFlow 5x11x22 for $120. I will probably go and get it done sometime next week. I will let you know!

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just put a 22" Magnaflow on my truck and i must say its not any louder that the stock on i just took off. In fact i didnt tell my wife I was swapin gout the mufflers and she never said a word about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just put a 22" Magnaflow on my truck and i must say its not any louder that the stock on i just took off. In fact i didnt tell my wife I was swapin gout the mufflers and she never said a word about it.
This made me laugh because I did the same thing. I can tell a difference between it and stock. It def doesn't kill you though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts