Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 2WD T is approaching the 100k mile mark and i want to replace the shocks.
What are some good replacements and what all shud i be getting ? (shocks/struts etc)......not planning to go off -roading much jus the occasional trail.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
most on here are using either the Bilstein HD's or 5100's
for normal driving go with the HD's

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just as everyone said, most people go with the HD's or the 5100's. The 5100's are adjustable though so if you're looking to add some lift in the front you can use these. They will add 1/2" when they are set at 0 so that i something to consider when you're thinking about what height you want to be at. You might want to do a quick search on how to properly install them. try "bilstein install gone bad" or something along those lines, I can't quite remember. But you will want to check that out before you install them or be able to show whoever installs them the right way to do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm.ok.....well def. look into these....Will i need any additional thing other than the Shocks themselves?...and will it have any conflict with say a 2.5" leveling kit?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Since the Bilstein 5100's lift 1/2" at the bottom setting, and 1.5" on the middle setting, (with more preload on your current coils), so you would probably want the 2" PRG leveling kit, or the 1.5" leveling kit respectively with the 5100's. Best to have the coils swapped using a heavy duty stand or wall mount spring compressor for disassembly, instead of the kind you borrow from an auto parts store, as they can slip and cause seriously bad stuff to happen.

The Bilstein HD's having a fixed spring perch at stock height, the 2.5" would be good. But if you do end up doing higher speed dirt roads, or speed bumps, then buying the '09 4x4 coils, (not the stiffer Pro-4x coils), you can get around an inch of preload lift, since they are longer, and use the 1.5" or 2" PRG leveling kit for about the same height as the 2.5" and your old coils only, and less likely to get UCA to coil bucket contact when running hard.

For the rear, the 5100's or the Icons from PRGproducts, and since you have an '05, the rear spring shackle needs to be welded or replaced. PRG has a heavy duty one that also can drop the rear 0", 1/2" or 1", but since you don't plan to off road hard maybe just weld the ones that are on there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reactions: ketel27

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Can someone explain the differences between the 5100s and the HD's. I need to replace my shocks in about 6,000 miles. You're supposed to changed them every 50,000 miles right?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
For the rear, the HD's supposedly ride harsh or otherwise ****ty. So get the 5100 rears, Icon rears or Radflo rears.
For the front they are both valved very close, according to PRG.

But the 5100's have different spring perches that can be used to adjust ride height. The bottom one being higher than stock or the HD's, put 1/2" of lift by compressing the coils with a little preload. The middle setting 1" more for 1.5" total, but is said to be harsh with the new Titan's longer coils. The HD's have only one spring perch setting, Greg said it is basically stock height.

Stock shocks have cellular foam that start breaking down right away and are junk usually by 10K-20K miles. Bilsteins could last the life of the truck, but their warranty has a lot of fine print, so my guess would be 50K-100K but Idk.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
For the rear, the HD's supposedly ride harsh or otherwise ****ty. So get the 5100 rears, Icon rears or Radflo rears.
For the front they are both valved very close, according to PRG.

But the 5100's have different spring perches that can be used to adjust ride height. The bottom one being higher than stock or the HD's, put 1/2" of lift by compressing the coils with a little preload. The middle setting 1" more for 1.5" total, but is said to be harsh with the new Titan's longer coils. The HD's have only one spring perch setting, Greg said it is basically stock height.
I think I'll go with the HD's in front. With my 1.5" leveling kit, the front rides 0.5" lower than the back which is good for my occasional payload/towing. And I'll go with the 5100s for the rear.

Also, is 50,000 miles the time that you change out shocks? I heard that somewhere and am not 100% sure if it's true.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Okay. And last question, are the struts the same as the shocks in the front? I had my stock struts replaced under warranty about 10,000 miles ago or so. Is that the same thing as the front shocks?

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you go with HD's,5100's Shockwarehouse is a site sponser and you get a discount using the code TITAN5.
Hey guys just an update..they had to change their discount code with the new year and it is now clubtitan2011. I'm also about to call them to see if they received their shipment of the 5100's on the 20th like they said they were expecting.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Okay. And last question, are the struts the same as the shocks in the front? I had my stock struts replaced under warranty about 10,000 miles ago or so. Is that the same thing as the front shocks?
As far as the Titan is concerned the front "strut" is a shock mounted within a coil spring. If you buy the Bilstein HD or 5100, for example, you (or better a shop with a professional spring compressor) need to swap it into the OEM coil spring. Other products, such as Icons, Radflo, Sway-Away are known as "coilovers" and come with their own spring. The rears are just bare shocks, w/o any coil spring, because the rear uses leaf springs.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Premium Member
58,286 Posts
If you go with HD's,5100's Shockwarehouse is a site sponser and you get a discount using the code TITAN5.
Do you know what the discount is?

·
Registered
367 Posts
So why are the Rancho shocks so bad? I've had them on my truck since purchase and they always seems to ride pretty smooth. Granted I'm not doing anything but regular city and highway driving.

Just curious because I always see people on the site bash Rancho shocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys just an update..they had to change their discount code with the new year and it is now clubtitan2011. I'm also about to call them to see if they received their shipment of the 5100's on the 20th like they said they were expecting.
I dont think they did get there shipment, at least thats what I was told. I have had them ordered for about a month. I just canceled with them and happen to find a set at Downsouth motorsports. I got lucky! Anyway set of four on the way..

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As far as the Titan is concerned the front "strut" is a shock mounted within a coil spring. If you buy the Bilstein HD or 5100, for example, you (or better a shop with a professional spring compressor) need to swap it into the OEM coil spring. Other products, such as Icons, Radflo, Sway-Away are known as "coilovers" and come with their own spring. The rears are just bare shocks, w/o any coil spring, because the rear uses leaf springs.
So the strut is the shock inside of the coilover. Got it. I was confused because a little over a year ago my front struts and UCA's were replaced under warranty so I was trying to determine if the strut and shock were the same thing to see how many miles they had on them. The rear shocks are the originals. Looking forward to getting these so I can fly over speed bumps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts