Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

Just an FYI - I'm at 67,000mi and have had recent problems with the power steering in my '04 SE KC.

Nissan's service department has called to tell me that there is a hose leaking, and that it would be, get this, $495 to replace! :huh: Part (hose) is $195 by itself, with the rest of the cost in labor to remove/replace, flush, and bleed system.

I know this is a lurking problem on the boards - not sure what could be done, but it's definitely falling out of warranty and is a HUGE sticker shock in the event you're having problems.

So, check your power steering fluid level often, and watch for leaks. If the hose is $195, I can't imagine how much a new power steering pump or rack would be...

Hope this helps,
Z33Fan

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have seen a few of the P/S hose/pipes leak.
Goes from Pump (pass side) to Rack (drivers side)..
Labor @ 3.0 hrs - I have seen some seeping & some leaking make sure if your going to spend the money make sure its leaking.
Look at P/S pump on pass side hard line connecter..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - I have the FSM, so I told the tech I'd buy the hose, and install myself. He seemed a little pissed, but that was after he tried to not honor the extended warranty on my brake judder that I had to correct him on...:boxing:

In either case, I'll have it when I need it.

Great information on the locations of the leaks. Is the hose as "custom molded" as the tech stated to me? I would expect so for almost $200.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I haven't heard of doing a flush and bleed of power steering if the only problem is a hose leak. Just replace hose, top off fluid, and it is usually good to go.

Reactions: lhoward8702

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
TitanBlue said:
I haven't heard of doing a flush and bleed of power steering if the only problem is a hose leak. Just replace hose, top off fluid, and it is usually good to go.
I believe the dealer calls taking a break while on the clock, "bleeding the system" on the invoice.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Yeah, I should have thought of that. It's in the Job Spec book I'm sure! :)

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
In both my trucks I had the power steering line replaced. They had a slow leak that was just enough to make the hose wet. All under warranty. Looked pretty easy to replace if your use to doing things like that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all of the replies - I'm sourcing parts through a cheaper source, and I'll change the hoses myself. If I can manipulate my way through a Z31 engine that's crammed into its compartment, I can work around the spacious Titan engine bay.

I just hope they've upgraded those parts on the newer models - it sure seems to me like a design problem, combined with making sure the part just barely survives the warranty period...

·
Registered
375 Posts
TitanBlue said:
The flush maybe a complete fluid flush that exchanges fluid for new,
not needed but always a good thing.. P/S fluid is a oil & does break down after a time just like engine oil..
Just like brake fluid flush/bleed - brake fluid can get air or water in it & reduces brake performance..
As for p/s bleed is B.S. correct the fluid level & turn the wheel a few time lock to lock and it will bleed its self...
I do recommend brake flush/bleed, p/s flush & coolant flush along with your regular maintenance..

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
tazstitan said:
The flush maybe a complete fluid flush that exchanges fluid for new,
not needed but always a good thing.. P/S fluid is a oil & does break down after a time just like engine oil..
Just like brake fluid flush/bleed - brake fluid can get air or water in it & reduces brake performance..
As for p/s bleed is B.S. correct the fluid level & turn the wheel a few time lock to lock and it will bleed its self...
I do recommend brake flush/bleed, p/s flush & coolant flush along with your regular maintenance..
I wouldn't say it's B.S. unless you tried to drive a car that a tech has'nt taken the time to bleed first.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Derwud said:
I wouldn't say it's B.S. unless you tried to drive a car that a tech has'nt taken the time to bleed first.
I'm guessing he taz ment thats it does not require a machine like brakes & Coolant? Sounds easier anyways.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Derwud said:
P/S bleed is done by just turning the wheel lock to lock several times & then correct the fluid level.
But Yes - the Tech that didnt bleed first is a #*#*#*

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update; 90k and the hose is leaking again. It leaks from the solid to rubber connector that mounts to the middle of the cross-member.

I can't believe this has happened again so fast. Since it's out of warranty, any ideas (such as getting custom hard/soft hoses fabricated)?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Man that sucks!!!
I use a place here in orlando for all my hoses/lines that need to be replaced that have fittings. I am sure you can send them the old hose and they can build you one.

Amazon Hose - Rubber, Hydraulic and Industrial Hose - since 1919

I did a self install of an a/c system in 1985 Nissan truck. I took all the old crusty lines I gotout of the junk yard in to them and in an hour and $150 later I had all brand new a/c lines with all new fittings. I have used them brake lines, high pressure lines, dozer and backhoe pressure lines.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
You know you probably have a similar company in your area. Call up some lawn mower shops or tractor shops and see wher they get there hoses made.

if you don't have any luck I can you help if need be. I am by the place all the time. You can send me the old hose if you still have it. I can see if they can build it and if they can you can probably pay them with credit card over the phone and I ship it back. Just send a prepaid postage slip.

PM if I can help out

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm fixing my leak tomarrow. I noticed a little puddle in the driveway yesterday. Its the low pressure line.I believe it to be leaking in the line where it attaches to the frame rail. Passenger side. This appears to be a somewhat common area. The line was $62.00 from the stealership. I'm glad to see that bleeding is not absolutely necessary but I probobly will just because I bought the fluid. My 04 only has 51k for mileage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm fixing my leak tomarrow. I noticed a little puddle in the driveway yesterday. Its the low pressure line.I believe it to be leaking in the line where it attaches to the frame rail. Passenger side. This appears to be a somewhat common area. The line was $62.00 from the stealership. I'm glad to see that bleeding is not absolutely necessary but I probobly will just because I bought the fluid. My 04 only has 51k for mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwud

P/S bleed is done by just turning the wheel lock to lock several times & then correct the fluid level.
But Yes - the Tech that didnt bleed first is a #*#*#

Easiest bleed there is...(at least one you know thats happening)!:coolsmile

1 - 20 of 22 Posts