Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware! Purchasing Pacesetter Exhaust Headers can result in double or even triple labor costs!

After reading forums and product reviews I opted to buy Pacesetter Exhaust Headers to replace my cracked exhaust manifolds on my 2004 Nissan Titan. This is apparently a common problem on these Titans and the estimate I got from the dealer for the repair was over $2,500! Part of the reason for the high repair cost was the labor involved in the job. They have to nearly remove the engine from the truck in order to replace these manifolds.

I received the headers from Pacesetter and scheduled the repair with the mechanic. He is an experienced mechanic (25+ years experience) and has been my only mechanic for the last 15 years. He worked for 16 hours to replace the manifolds only to find that when the engine was remounted into the truck, at the end of the process, and the pacesetter manifolds were bolted to my exhaust, that they did not fit! The flange at the end of the pacesetter manifolds was built at the wrong angle, causing the joint to remain open after bolting, so that the gasket did not even touch and the connection was left open. The pacesetter manifolds did not fit properly as you can see in the photos below.

Pacesetter did offer to replace the manifolds, though they refused to overnight them, and they refused to cover the labor costs incurred due to their faulty products. They DO NOT stand behind their product. If anyone would like to see their communication with me, you can private message me and I will send it to you.

In the end I am stuck with this: My mechanic has put 16 hours into this right now. If pacesetter sends me replacement manifolds, he will have to spend another 16 hours to replace the faulty ones with the new ones just to see if the new ones fit! If they don't fit, I'll have to buy different headers from a different company and the mechanic will spend 16 more hours to finally resolve the problem. Even if I decide to avoid the risk that all pacesetter manifolds are manufactured improperly, I still have to buy new manifolds from a different company and have the mechanic install them, doubling the labor cost for this repair!

If pacesetter was a reputable company, they would not expect the consumer to be on the hook for the costs incurred because their product was manufactured improperly. However, they have explicitly refused to stand behind their product and their company by making sure they sell a product that actually fits as advertised, as you can see by reading the emails from pacesetter by private messaging me.

In closing - stay away from Pacesetter Exhaust! Their exhaust manifolds do not fit, and they do not stand behind the product. You run the risk of having to pay twice or three times the labor that you were originally quoted by your mechanic! I have been without my truck for a week and it looks like at least another week will pas before I am driving it again, maybe more! I regret buying from pacsetter!

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
I believe pacesetter is known crap around here.

Nothing I can really offer to help you out, but get you money back on the pacesetters and contact nightowl on here. He is the resident exhaust expert and will get you setup with some decent headers.

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Jba.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You might look at getting an exhaust guy to custom fit something up for you that'll bolt to the wrong parts that Pacesetter sent you. It might be cheaper than new headers. Just a thought. If you do go to another brand, I agree with honda250xtitan and second the JBA vote. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
JBA long tubes (if you go that route) shouldn't take an experienced mechanic longer than 6 hours to pull and replace. Hell I can pull and replace mine on my 4WD in 6 with a friend.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Yes Pace Setter is known for being junk and fitment issues. JBA is the way to go and even better the Cajun Stage 1 manifold fix. Sorry for your issues but that is why this forum is here. Titan Talk will save you dollars on these issues and you can certainly learn by doing your research and others can learn by your issues. Thanks for posting this for us. These PS manifolds will likely fail within a year from my expiernece and customer feedback.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Sorry to say it, but I think your mechanic may be dogging the time a bit too. I am certainly no mechanic... a friend and I installed mine on my 4WD Titan in 5 hours tires to tires... and I had a sinus infection...

Oh yeah... JBA... is the shiz! Sorry for your nasty lesson. No one should have to learn these things that way.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Get your money back from pacesetters and buy some jba long tubes from cajun bpipes.com . For 16 hours labor your mechanic should be able to do the install twice. You don't have to remove the engine, just loosen the motor mount bolts as far as possible without removing them then jack the motor up as far as it will go.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
1. You didn't do proper research, looking at any Titan forum would confirm that the consensus is 99.9% of the time JBA is the way to go, and Pacesetters are crap.
2. Your "mechanic" is an idiot. 16 hours and engine removal??? Riduculous.....
3. Sorry to be so brutal, but that is the truth.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I agree, and not to repeat everyone else here, but theyre right, ive never heard of people liking the pacesetter headers, people always having fitment problems.

I personally have done manifolds on a 2wd in 4 hrs, so your mechanic doing that in 4x that, doesn't seem like a great mechanic...

Im gonna do my 4x4 here in a month or so, and i hope it doesn't take longer than 8hrs...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts