Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 needs the frt rotors done again, warped. Third time in 53 thousand miles.

If I replace them are there after mrkts that are better than the OEM's.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
WUT? uh...I thought that was fixed with the newer models.. Hmmmm...makes me wonder if upgrading is in FACT a good idea...

·
Super Moderator
161,885 Posts
Yes, there are better aftermarkets than the OEM rotors. Slotted rotors from Frozen Rotors, or EBC are a couple of good options.

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
have you been replacing the rotors or having them turned?

warped rotors is a myth. they dont actually warp. it is a buildup of brake pad material. when you hard brake, then hold the pedal down (like in a panic stop) the pads get REALLY hot, then you hold your foot on the brake (waiting for the light to turn green) and cook the pads into the rotors. this changes the metal in the rotor so that every time it passes over the pad, it picks up a little more pad material, eventually causing the warped feeling from the bulge of pad material accumulated on the rotor. when you turn a rotor, you essentially scrape all this material off, but the metal in that spot is still changed and will pick up pad material again.

if at any time you have a hard brake, or panic stop, as soon as you can, shift to neutral or park and let off the brake so the pads retract from the rotors. This will save you from warped rotors.

do answer your question, yes there are better then OEM disks. almost any aftermarked disk is better then OEM. I run the frozen smooth rotors with hawk LTS pads. Even with my boat behind me they haul the T down with authority.

The reason i upgraded, was because of "warped" rotors. this happened when my IPDM went out and i had a co worker pull me home. riding the brake so as to not rear end him (no running engine = no power brakes or steering), i roasted the stock disks.

·
Premium Member
58,769 Posts
If you have 08 brakes and this is the third time they have warped in 53,000 miles you have something wrong with the brakes or this installation of the brakes. I'd figure out what is wrong before dropping a bunch of bucks on new rotors and pads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's a very interesting explanation for what causes frt end shudder when braking. Where did that theory originate? Thanks for the AM names.

Turned and they are always torqued to spec. Problems develops after 15-17,000 miles

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
That's a very interesting explanation for what causes frt end shudder when braking. Where did that theory originate? Thanks for the AM names.

Turned and they are always torqued to spec. Problems develops after 15-17,000 miles
turning does nothing once you change the molecular structure of the rotor. if scrapes off the buildup, but it comes right back.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm looking to upgrades brakes as well. Any good ideas on who to buy from??

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
i got mine strait from frozen rotors. I found a code on an f150 site that took a decent % off. for the front rotors and pads for an 06 it was right at $300 shipped.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Driving style and improper torque on the lugnuts are the biggest contributers to warped rotors...

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey beason I need to change my pads soon, any suggestions?

Sorry for thread jack...

·
Premium Member
15,695 Posts
Hey beason I need to change my pads soon, any suggestions?

Sorry for thread jack...
it depends on what you do and how you drive.

i was told to not use the "race" pads, because they need to be hot to work correctly, and under normal driving conditions they never reach operating temp. I really like my hawk LTS pads, but i have seen many posts from other members using yellow stuff, or green stuff pads. i know the stocks, with the "warped" rotors, would dust like crazy. a week and my rims were bronze. these, i just start seeing a hit of color after about 2 weeks. and i do all stop and go driving in town.

if you are going to change them, its best to at least turn the rotors so you get a fresh surface to bed the pads on. that article mentions how the pad transfers material to the rotor, then the rotor has a coating of pad material on it. you want to get a fresh surface to bed the new pads.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I went with ebc slotted and dippled rotors and green stuff pads so far I like it.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using the auto guide app

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went with R1 Concepts Drilled and Slotted with there ceramic pads I have been really happy and they were really reasonable. I also ordered a set for the wife's car. I mentioned Titan Talk and they gave me 10% off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts