Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my windshield appears to be warping under the tinted strip on top. I thoguht my eyes were going bad but at night time I see double headlights on all cars and reflective street signs are getting hard to read. If I move my head around or slouch extremely far in the seat the problem goes away. I also do not seem to have this problem on the drivers side. I don' know when exactly it started but It bugs the hell out of me when I am driving at night!

What should I do? I only have 1500 miles left on my warranty. I have a feeling this will be a hard one to re-produce at the dealership.

It is only noticable at night, in the day I can't really tell there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
43,125 Posts
If it is a defect then they have to cover it under warranty!
Speak up now. They will at least document it in case they don't discover the problem until after coverage lapses! take it in asap or get ready to replace it!
I don't know how much they run, but my dodge was going to be $185 installed.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went in and they said they could tell and had no idea why it suddenly warped but I have a new one on the way.

Now I just need to figure out my suspension creek and seak squeaking problems so I can get those fixed before the warrany runs out as well.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my new window installed today and it seems to have the same problem as the last one, only now it may be even worse.

Maybe they are just all like this?

Can someone around 6 foot tall verify that they don't see double and even tripple headlights from oncoming traffic about 3-5 inches down from the tinted section.

If I slouch really low in the seat and move my head toward the center console (So I look all screwed up while driving) the problem disappears. Or if I bend forward so my head is really close to the steering wheel (Basically change my line of sight to be closer to the middle of the window) then the issue goes away. However I can't imagine driving all contorted like this for very long.

The problem is only there at night but if I park where I can look into the windshield from the side with something like blinds behind me they look all wavy and distorted. Like ripples in the glass type of effect.

Is there some other kind of glass I can replace it with? If not I might consider selling my titan, (Which I was planning to lift very soon). It bothers me that much! I do a lot of night driving and I can't see myself suffering looking at double and triple lights for hours on end or having to sit very uncomfortably...

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I think you're the one and only person to have a problem like this. I'm 6' and never saw anything unusual driving at night. There has to be plenty of owners here over 6'2" that never posted a similar problem.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
crack it, have insurence cover it. i dont think there is a deductable on it

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'm 6'3 and don't have a problem with mine.
Go back to your dealer,just because it's new doesn't mean its perfect.
They may need to do a parts warranty on this.
If they verified this before and replaced it,you should have no problem doing it again if it is worse this time.
Your parts warranty will last 1 yr-12,000 miles or until the expiration of your basic warranty whatever is LONGER!
As far as your suspension squeaking,if it is all stock,it is up to them,not you to figure out what is wrong.
Don't go in with a pre-diagnosis of this,you are better off just to say I have a squeaking noise,take the advisor or a tech with you on a test drive to confirm the exact noise you are hearing,and let them handle it from there.
Note the test drive with a service employee is the most important part of this.
Your warranty is running out and you don't have time for guess work.
You paid for a warranty when you bought the truck.You deserve to use it!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I believe they come from the factory this way... The first time I test drove one as I was pulling into a downhill parking lot (making me look through the upper passenger side) I noticed it. The salesman and I checked several others and they were all exactly the same. I'm 6'4" and the tint strip has always bugged me. When I checked about a year ago there was not aftermarket windshield yet... Specifically, I'm looking for one w/o the tint strip at the top.

I've never noticed blurring of headlights or anything that bad but I think there is an imperfection in all of the windshields. I haven't checked for awhile about an aftermarket window.... the last time I did the guy said with new model vehilces it just takes time. As a function of the entire number of cars on the road the Titan doesn't represent a huge percentage so it could be awhile before there's replacement glass available for it... if/when I hear about it I'll post here.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok back it goes next weekend, I can't drop it off in the meantime because I do not have another vehicle and want to keep my job...

I like the tint strip but I can't stand seeing doubles and even tripples of headlights and tailights and streetlights. If I wanted to see that I may as well drink and dive cause thats what my vision looks like (except of course it's just lights that have this affect.

As for suspension I have the leveling kit on the front end, but I'm not sure where the noise is coming from. It sweeks on bumpy roads pretty bad, but otherwise seems ok. I'm planning ot lift it anyways if I can get the windshield fixed but it would suck if it did not go away after that.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Took it in this weekend but their glass guy took the weekend off for Mothersday or some crap.

I was supposed to get it installed this morning and get a rental but I got a call for the service manager (I asked him to take a look at the glass for me) and he said it is just as bad as the last one they installed). He also informed me that they are all going to be a bit warped because the way the window bends.

They ordered another one fo rme although as of right now it does not look promising. (they are telling me they are all goig to be like this) I'm getting so fed up with nissan selling the truck sounds better every day (supposed to be lifting it in 2 weeks but being able to see out the window at night is more important) I have probably made over 50 trips to the dealership over the last 2 years, and even getting minor things fixed is a huge hassle...

I just had exhaust & intake installed and finaly finished the stereo, HID's etc, but I'm about to cut my losses and trade this POS in for something more reliable with a windshield I can see out of. My friend never has any problems like this with his chevy. Plus I have the old diff that will probably explode or something anyways...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
dont trade her in because of a windsheild man ! awesome truck but if i were you i would consider getting a newer one maybe ?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't really see the point in getting a newer one the only difference really is VVT, which I'm not convinced is even that great. And some minor other changes like the stock CD player which I removed plays MP3's. It would cost way to much to trade in on a new titan (2 years newer lol).

So I just got off the phone with the glass company, they said the 4th windshield is about the same as my origional, which is better than the one I currently have installed.

They are going to order me a 5th windshield ...................................... I'm wondering if I should hold off on the lift (supposed to be installed this weekend) in case I do need to trade the titan for a vehicle I can see out of at night...

No1 else has a problem with these windshields but me? I know it's not my eyes because I don't see double headlights from oncoming traffic in other vehicles I have driven, just the titan... 4 Bad windshields in a row seem like way too many IMO, surely someone else has noticed this problem? Basicaly the glass company said they are all going to have ripples in them, and there is nothign I can do *cough*, but I know get rid of the titan for something else.

They are not going to fix the noise (they say it is from the body movig around and it's 2 years old so yea...) And the seat squeek is driving me crazy as well (not a warrany item as well) It creeks and squeeks the whole way to work since our freeways are so uneven and bumpy. To me it' slike fingernails on a chalkboard moving up and down.

These two squeeks and creeks are worse than my old hardbody every had with 320k...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Has your truck ever been in a wreck or anything that would cause the roof or pillars not be at factory specs? Glass should have some flex to it and it may be your truck and not the windshield.
I am not an expert at this but its just a thought.
________
Buy Vaporizers

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, and 3 of these were never intalled they can see the warpage in them sitting on the floor.

What pissed me off was the parts guy said "Oh yea, this new one is much better than your old one we still have it sitting here"

Then the glass guy told me that he just uncrated it there was no way the guy at the parts counter could have looked at it prior. he told me they are all going to be warped to some degree and they want me to come in so I can get one that is warped in a location that will not bother me at night.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks like I need a Lawyer. I think I will have to sue nissan to get them to give me good glass...

it appears all titans windows have ripples in them, however I'm not sure that is what is causing the double headlights at night as I see them up and down, not side to side. And it's not my eyes I had no problems in the rental, or my dad's dodge (which also has curved glass window). I may have to sell the truck over this, which is making me sick and really pissed off. I'm supposed to get a 4" lift over at PRG's tomarrow, thinking now to call it off because I don't know how much longer I will have my truck. Even though I recently spent 2 Grand into it for tires exhaust new Kinetik battery, and subs and wet oakly seat covers.

Sometimes it is better to cut your losses and move on with life. I live at the dealership on the weekends and now durring the weekdays as well. I have been in every weekend for something or another for over month now.

I think I noticed a new dent in the sidepanel when I got out of the truck at work as well. Figures since I usualy take my time to look the truck over, but was rushed to get to work due to delays this time (I was pretty late)...It's in the side they had the dent from crashing my truck in that was repainted.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So I'm on windshield number 6 or 7 now (Lost count) and the 3rd one actually installed. Many trips to the dealer...... The new one is a little better I only have to duck down about 1/2 as far to make the glare of the headlights from oncoming traffic go away. But it's still there!!!!!!... Now the "second glare light" I see is right above the first one instead of appearing to be on top of the roof of the oncoming traffic. Now,not only this, but the dealership didn't hook my washer bottle up right so it only sprays water out from underneath my truck, and I have a one inch paint chip along the rim of my hood (towards the windshield).

I could barley see on the way home tonight with the asshole behind me with his high beams purposly on, the smear on my window, and the glare from oncoming traffic. No wonder I got so pissed at him and turned on all 4 HID"s and my high beams (6 lights lol) after I flashed him with my LED sign in my rear window to "Backoff" "Backoff" "Idiot" "Idiot" "Idiot" "Backoff" as a warning; then I forced him to pass me by slowing down to 25 with my emergency flashers on.....(Yea I think I won there). I gues this is the reason why us asshole drive trucks.

I'm seriously upset about how crappy Nissan Warranty work is. Oh yea and my truck is out of warranty now but I'm going to force them to fix this. It's just not right. Should I hire a lawyer?

·
Registered
135 Posts
One of the first things I noticed about the Titan was the lack of distortion in the windshield. Was the replacement an actual Nissan windshield?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TI'TNTUFF said:
One of the first things I noticed about the Titan was the lack of distortion in the windshield. Was the replacement an actual Nissan windshield?
All 7 ordered were nissan Factory Glass.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts