Took my truck in for a whole list of problems:
RH rear axle seal leaking
SES light on
Squeaking driver seat
ATF fluid leaking at radiator
Rattle from front windows
Heated seat switch falling into console
Loose passenger seat back

I think that’s it. Got the call today for solutions. Everything has been confirmed by the tech’s which is always good and surprising!

I was originally told they would probably just replace the axle seal, as that’s all they’ve ever had to do. However, I’m GETTING A WHOLE NEW AXLE! After they looked at it, they found almost NO fluid in the diff. They said I haven’t heard the diff going out because of my tires (which makes no sense to me).
However, because of my lift, it will cost me $328.95 for the install (due to taking lift components off and re-installing them). Not thrilled about it, but I understand it’s not stuff they’d normally have to deal with while replacing the axle. I’ll be making sure they put the breather on the new axle before picking it up too!

My SES light, which when dropping off they said is probably due to my intake and exhaust turned out to be a bad “vent control valve” and “water separator” which will be replaced under warranty without me paying a diagnostic fee!

My ATF cooler lines are bad (where they connect to the radiator/cooler) and will be replaced along with the other things listed at the top.

As most of you know, there are TSB’s on most of the problems I have.
Either way, they said it would be middle to late next week for me to get my truck back because none of the parts are in stock!!! So for now I drive my dad’s 2500 GMC, which even though it’s got a gas motor, is pretty darn nice!
Just venting a bit…now I’m going to go file my complaint with NHTSA on the axle…

·
Premium Member
92,253 Posts
Wow! What a bargain! A free axle for $328.95!! How do I get one? Er.... I mean....wait.... :confused:

Hope all turns out well for you . Sorry to hear about having to drive that Chebbie, but don't worry. Helinut is doing it so don't feel like you don't deserve some bashing for it! :lol: Just kidding. Hope your truck comes home soon. :cheers:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've actually owned 9 chevs and never had any probs. If I had the money I'd be in a 2008 GMC HD with the duramax of course. Love em and need to haul 12000 lbs.. but I keep standing in line at the lottery office, and they never call my number!

As nice as it is and even though driving a stock truck for a change is kinda nice, I'm looking forward to getting mine back!

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
When I bought my second Titan for the wife I was in having promise work done and this man was fighting with the service manager about his rear end. I mean this guy was yelling out in front of everyone and refused to go in doors to talk. Well what happened was his rear end went out and the differential was real low on fluid. His left rear axle seal had a slight leak in it also. He owned up to changing the fluid at 40,000 miles, truck had 47,000 miles. The dealer said low oil caused the failure and the owner said no it all leaked out. NO the leak was new and only showed slight seepage(is that a word). The refused to warranty his truck for lack maintenance.

So maybe $328 for a new axle is pretty good deal.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Shane06fl said:
When I bought my second Titan for the wife I was in having promise work done and this man was fighting with the service manager about his rear end. I mean this guy was yelling out in front of everyone and refused to go in doors to talk. Well what happened was his rear end went out and the differential was real low on fluid. His left rear axle seal had a slight leak in it also. He owned up to changing the fluid at 40,000 miles, truck had 47,000 miles. The dealer said low oil caused the failure and the owner said no it all leaked out. NO the leak was new and only showed slight seepage(is that a word). The refused to warranty his truck for lack maintenance.

So maybe $328 for a new axle is pretty good deal.
Man I would take that to court in a heartbeat! Because he changed diff fluid himself it would not be covered? LMAO the diff was leaking at a seal which is a KNOWN issue. Should not having any problems winning that case in court. Of course it was a small leak after all the fluid already ran out! They would have to prove 1 that the diff failed due to low oil and not because it is a stock nissan diff, 2 that the oil did not leak out thhrough the leak beyond all reasonable doubt, and 3 that the owner changing the oil caused it to leak out (if he has reciepts then no worries there!). Would not be much of a case in court I don't think especialy with all the rear end failures.

Hell I'd be pissed they were charging me to remove and re-install my lift, it's their product that failed wether or not you added something they have to work with or not does not mean it should not be covered under warranty! Also if they are keeping your truck you should get a rental.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong....

The componets of your rear lift ( which is all they should have to remove) consist of a block or deaver springs? The same 8 bolts have to be removed to take your "rear" suspension off. Longer shocks...put htey mount just like the stockers. I would not settle for paying a dime.

I have a modified lifted truck and its sitting at the dealer....they are replacing front transfer case, front drive shaft and rear drive shaft, lower control arms....and a few other things un-related to suspension and it is not costing me a dime.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
MudRunner said:

The componets of your rear lift ( which is all they should have to remove) consist of a block or deaver springs? The same 8 bolts have to be removed to take your "rear" suspension off. Longer shocks...put htey mount just like the stockers. I would not settle for paying a dime.

I have a modified lifted truck and its sitting at the dealer....they are replacing front transfer case, front drive shaft and rear drive shaft, lower control arms....and a few other things un-related to suspension and it is not costing me a dime.
He's right, the only extra pieces on the rear of the stage one PC lift are:

(2) Aluminum Spacer Blocks
(1) Brake Line Relocation Bracket & a couple small spacer thingy's

Everything else is the same as stock.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MudRunner said:

I see your point...

I DO have the PC traction bars which add's a little, but not a lot. Funny thing is the night before I took off my helper springs...still not a LOT of work, but I'd hate to see what they would be charging me then!

Figure I'll have a fight on my hands with them though, especially since I already approved the work over the phone...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Oh I argree Nissan would have that rear end shoved up theirs in court room. I don't what happened after that. The dealership was told no by Nissan so they stick with that. I think they could have kept their mouths shut and changed it out and got paid. This dealer service dept doesn't is very good but I think they hosed this one up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well...I guess you can be thankful that they are replacing the rear. Some dealers will blame everything on a lift. Count your blessings that your bill wont be 1200 or more. In hindsight its easier to say you wont pay...but in reality when you got that call....you were probably grateful they did cover it under warranty.

I talked to my tech today...I feel bad for the kid. Warranty work pays very little. The front transfer case replacement pays for 3 hours of work!! I suppose if you were replacing these every day you could probably get the work done in that time frame...but 3 hours for a 4-5 hour job. Not to mention the mud that he got dumped into his face when removing the other old one. This is why the dealer is reluctant to do warranty work if it is a busy. None of the experienced techs wanna touch it. That extra bill you got will compensate that tech for the actual hours that it takes to perform the work. On a lifted truck or not.

My dealer lets me in the bay ( although it is against the rules) because they know if they dont...I'll sit there every hour asking for up dates. When the truck is on the lift...they pointed out all the problems so I could understand why they were replacing each item. This day....with so many regulations....it is hard for dealers to treat customers with respect and show them problems. We usually have to take their word for it.

Make friends with your service writer and your tech. Bring them coffee and snacks when you are driving by just to say hi. Not when you need something. Write that letter to the dealer and Nissan when they have done an outstanding job. ( find something outstanding) They will remember you down the line when your truck is in again. It is amazing what can be done when someone is kind to them. Imagine a job where 90% of the time...customers are pissed off before they even walk into the shop?

When I picked up my Truck...it was detailed inside like I requested. No charge. I went in the service bay. Thanked the tech and slid him an extra $50 cash and a gift certificate to the local coffee house so he can enjoy his mornings each day. He proceeded to hook the truck up and make sure I didn't loose my timing advance (which I did).

It takes two to tango in this world if you want something. Most people tell me I get away with this level of service because I am a woman. I disagree. Empathy for others is the key.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mudrunner- I'm a firm believer in the "golden rule". I do my best to treat people very well, and it takes A LOT to ruffle my feathers..so yeah, I agree with you on treating they guys/gals at the shop right!

**Update on my truck--- Called me yesterday to give me an update! I've had a lot of gm's, 1 jeep, 1 ford, and this is the 1st update I have EVER recieved unsolicited!
Axle is there and I can pick it up Monday! The evap parts are back-ordered, so I'll have to go back at some point which is a PIA, but beyond a dealerships control.
I just realized they said nothing about getting the ATF lines replaced as promised, but either way I'll have it back until the other parts are in!

·
Registered
596 Posts
could not be better said there mudrunner. i worked in a shop for a while and some of people that came through were nice and some were d!cks. needless to say which ones were taken care of the best when they came back.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Your getting worked for 300+ dollars. I had my front diff replaced and paid 140.00 for labor 1 hr @ 70.00 for removing cross members from lift and 1hr @70.00 for putting back on. The only thing they should have to do different is get the pin back in for the rear blocks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
How did all of that fluid leak out? you never saw it on the diff or around it? on the driveway?

How did you know the axel seals went bad? did fluid leak out the back of the Drum/rotor?

Chris 04

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BIGT56PA said:
How did all of that fluid leak out? you never saw it on the diff or around it? on the driveway?

How did you know the axel seals went bad? did fluid leak out the back of the Drum/rotor?

Chris 04
I never saw any fluid on the ground. I was under the back of the truck putting on some extra reverse lights and saw the wet line on the inside of the right rear wheel. If you search, there are a lot of pictures taken showing what it looks like..mine was actually not bad compared to a lot of pics I've seen, it was a single line about 1 inch wide going straight down. It didn't look "soaked" like some, so I was surprised it lost so much. To be honest, with the problems people have had with the axle I'm happy it was that low. Now I get an entire axle assembly instead of just a new seal put in it!

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Forgive me, but I don't understand why there is a cost to you involved. They remove the rear from its mounting points whether there is a lift or not. Nissan pays them to do the work which almost always is far faster than the alloted time. You already either paid to have the lift installled or paid with your own time to do it. I just can't see you having to pay because their component failed. It's probably faster and easier for them to replace the entire assembly than the gears themselves.

Clint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts