Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Titan, and in December of 2005 the dealership performed the NTB04-066D upgrade for the brake judder issue. Today, I'm being told that I need new brake pads AND new front rotors because the rotors are too rusty. I'm also being told that I have to pay for everything out of my pocket. Am I wrong in thinking that something doesn't smell right when I have to pay for rotors to be replaced after less than 2 years?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,408 Posts
I would see why they would want you to pay out of pocket because i think the warranty would only cover the brakes if the judder came back, hence why rusty rotors wouldn't be covered. Now why rotors would become too rusty and need replacement is another question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
hi friend !
i have Titan model of 06 and now i want to exchange it with new titan model
because it warranty period is ended .i want to know it is possible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
Brando7 said:
I have an 04 Titan, and in December of 2005 the dealership performed the NTB04-066D upgrade for the brake judder issue. Today, I'm being told that I need new brake pads AND new front rotors because the rotors are too rusty. I'm also being told that I have to pay for everything out of my pocket. Am I wrong in thinking that something doesn't smell right when I have to pay for rotors to be replaced after less than 2 years?
The brake warranty on 04s is usually 12 months or 12k miles. Because of the brake judder problems, this warranty was extended to the regular 3/36 along with the bumper to bumper. It's only used if the brake judder comes back in that time frame....not just worn pads or rotors. Double check with Nissan to be 100% sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
I've been kinda curious even bout the warranty time frame being extended cause of the brake replacement. Mine were replaced in late 2004 for the TSB and lately I've started hearing what I can only perceived as a 'clacking' of the brakes (I usually hear this on POS cars that drive by me). I've thought it was kinda abnormal after only having them redone 2 yrs ago, and less than 20K put on them, that I'm again having problems. Otherwise the brakes work fine, no judder...nothing, just than annoying clacking sound
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
keiffers said:
I've been kinda curious even bout the warranty time frame being extended cause of the brake replacement. Mine were replaced in late 2004 for the TSB and lately I've started hearing what I can only perceived as a 'clacking' of the brakes (I usually hear this on POS cars that drive by me). I've thought it was kinda abnormal after only having them redone 2 yrs ago, and less than 20K put on them, that I'm again having problems. Otherwise the brakes work fine, no judder...nothing, just than annoying clacking sound
2 years and 20k on brakes, for me, is good...lol. I'm so damn picky about how they feel that I usually end up replacing the pads after about a year (on other vehicles, not the truck yet).
As for the brake warranty, after having mine upgraded to the new "fix", I got a letter explaing the new brake coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
2 years and 20k on brakes, for me, is good...lol. I'm so damn picky about how they feel that I usually end up replacing the pads after about a year (on other vehicles, not the truck yet).
As for the brake warranty, after having mine upgraded to the new "fix", I got a letter explaing the new brake coverage.
hmm that's interesting...I never got anything about the 'new' brake coverage after I got my fix in late 2004....normally speaking I'd have no problem with 2 yrs/20k but considering in the 3 yrs I've had the truck, it's barely broken in (atleast to me anyway). I have 29k on it so just don't think the brakes should be having issues already considering I baby the heck outta it. Oh well, i'll just watch it and see what happens...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
The brake warranty on 04s is usually 12 months or 12k miles. Because of the brake judder problems, this warranty was extended to the regular 3/36 along with the bumper to bumper. It's only used if the brake judder comes back in that time frame....not just worn pads or rotors. Double check with Nissan to be 100% sure.

That's exactly what they told me, and I totally understand that. BUT, my problem is why the rotors got so rusty and needed to be replaced. Should I expect that from now on I'll be shelling out money every 2 years to replace rotors? The dealer had no real explanation as to why the rotors were so rusty - his only idea was that "maybe you don't drive it enough". I'm not an auto expert, but what do you guys think the average life of front truck rotors would be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
Brando7 said:
That's exactly what they told me, and I totally understand that. BUT, my problem is why the rotors got so rusty and needed to be replaced. Should I expect that from now on I'll be shelling out money every 2 years to replace rotors? The dealer had no real explanation as to why the rotors were so rusty - his only idea was that "maybe you don't drive it enough". I'm not an auto expert, but what do you guys think the average life of front truck rotors would be?
My rotors, after a couple of years, are still free of rust. I don't know why yours rusted so badly. If they're rusted so badly that they had to be replaced, I'd want to know why, and I'd insist they be covered because they shouldn't rust like that. If they refuse, I'd go directly to Nissan about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
My rotors, after a couple of years, are still free of rust. I don't know why yours rusted so badly. If they're rusted so badly that they had to be replaced, I'd want to know why, and I'd insist they be covered because they shouldn't rust like that. If they refuse, I'd go directly to Nissan about it.

I emailed Nissan about it over the weekend and haven't heard back yet. If I don't see anything in my inbox tomorrow I'll start poking around for a phone number to call and see where I can get with it. I'll write back in this post what comes of it, just in case anybody is curious....and I appreciate the responses, guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
i had an '04 and i needed to get the brakes done three times before i traded it for my '07, i only had 33,000 miles on it and the dealer that performed the recall on the brakes had no problem fixing them each time i took it back (for free).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sterlinator said:
i had an '04 and i needed to get the brakes done three times before i traded it for my '07, i only had 33,000 miles on it and the dealer that performed the recall on the brakes had no problem fixing them each time i took it back (for free).
Were the multiple repairs on the brakes all because of the judder issue or were there other circumstances?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Unless they give you a free brake job... stay the heck away from Nissan brake parts.

My '04 has about 30,000 miles on it and had the recall done about 10 months ago. 5,000 miles later, I'm shaking again. Now Nissan does extend the warranty to 36 months unlimited miles, but 36 months starts from the day you purchase the vehicle.

As for me, I'm three months past my warranty, and I'm screwed. The dealer offered to give me a discount on parts but I asked the service manager if he thought I was an idiot?

Why the hell would I pay for crap, even at a discount, that does not last 5000 miles? Am I going to buy these crappy parts every 18 months?

I DON'T TOW, AND I DON'T DRIVE IN A MATTER TO PUT UNDUE STRESS ON BRAKES... I COAST TO STOPS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE... MY LAST VEHICLE WENT 80,000 MILES AND STILL HAD ORIGINAL EVERYTHING...EVEN TIRES.
SO DON'T QUESTION MY DRIVING HABITS...

80,000 MILES = NO WORK DONE (TOYOTA 4-RUNNER)
30,000 MILES = 2 BRAKE JOBS...HMMM?

He look at me for a second and said quietly, "You're right"

Quietly because I asked my question so all the other customers in the waiting area can hear me.... And boy were they listening.

I am doing my homework on some quality brake parts and other than my free oil changes, Nissan will never get a dime from me for any other repairs if not covered under warranty.

Just my 3 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
keiffers said:
I've been kinda curious even bout the warranty time frame being extended cause of the brake replacement. Mine were replaced in late 2004 for the TSB and lately I've started hearing what I can only perceived as a 'clacking' of the brakes (I usually hear this on POS cars that drive by me). I've thought it was kinda abnormal after only having them redone 2 yrs ago, and less than 20K put on them, that I'm again having problems. Otherwise the brakes work fine, no judder...nothing, just than annoying clacking sound

very interesting my friend. I just posted a thread about a "clacking" i was hearing from my rear passenger wheel. I have 61k on my 04, and i had the TSB for the brake judder done at about 22k miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
shawnwat4 said:
very interesting my friend. I just posted a thread about a "clacking" i was hearing from my rear passenger wheel. I have 61k on my 04, and i had the TSB for the brake judder done at about 22k miles.
I had the TSB done right around 10k I think and everything was fine. It was in for 30k service the other day and they checked the brakes and said they looked fine and I still had plenty of pad left....BUT I have noticed that ever since I got it back, I have not really heard the sound (i did hear it slightly this morning) anymore...just keepin my ears open for it, in one spot that I know does it EVERY time, but nothin...so maybe whatever they did when it was in for service fixed it...but I've also wondered if it might be something else...we'll just see what happens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's my update since my original post: Over the 2 months or so since the original issue, I've talked to 4 different service reps at Nissan, all telling me that they're sending internal emails and saying that a "regional specialist" would be contacting me. Today, this so-called regional specialist called, and she was an absolute waste with an attitude to match. I've pretty much been given the runaround of "I'm not a mechanic, contact the dealer", which brings me right back to where I began. I called the dealer today and left a message with the service manager, but at this point I'm probably not going to get anywhere, but I'm still pushing the issue on principle alone (original issue was new brakes, including rotors, that I had to pay for after only 17,000 miles and less than 2 years since the TSB for brakes was performed). I'd love to get in touch with a Nissan parts rep to see if they would be willing to tell me that the life of the rotors they use is only 17,000 miles. I guess the bottom line is that Nissan uses crap parts.....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
Brando7 said:
Here's my update since my original post: Over the 2 months or so since the original issue, I've talked to 4 different service reps at Nissan, all telling me that they're sending internal emails and saying that a "regional specialist" would be contacting me. Today, this so-called regional specialist called, and she was an absolute waste with an attitude to match. I've pretty much been given the runaround of "I'm not a mechanic, contact the dealer", which brings me right back to where I began. I called the dealer today and left a message with the service manager, but at this point I'm probably not going to get anywhere, but I'm still pushing the issue on principle alone (original issue was new brakes, including rotors, that I had to pay for after only 17,000 miles and less than 2 years since the TSB for brakes was performed). I'd love to get in touch with a Nissan parts rep to see if they would be willing to tell me that the life of the rotors they use is only 17,000 miles. I guess the bottom line is that Nissan uses crap parts.....?
Like I said before, no rust on my rotors. But if you have to pay for new brakes, I'd get them aftermarket. You'll pay less and get a better product. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top