Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 05 made it to 60,000 miles with only a Trans problem. Then I noticed I didnt have any heat driving to work Monday morning. I just figured it was a small electrical problem so I took it to Trophy Nissan in Mesquite. Well the coolant wasnt reaching the proper hose to distribute heat into the truck because my RADIATOR is cracked along the plastic at the bottom. The pressure test they put it through completly blew it and they broght her out pouring antifreeze. And of course my extended warranty doesnt cover it and they wanted $900 to fix it. I told them to give me my truck and Ill do it myself because I know of others that have bought a radiator for around $200. Well the service department at Trophy had me pay a $90 "diagnostics fee" because warranty didnt cover the repair. Their "diagnostics" gave me a printout that suggested a front brake job (with half of my pad still intact), a transmission flush(I just had a new transmission installed AT Trophy a month ago), new tires and alignment (plenty of tread with perfect wear in the middle) and a rear differential fluid replacement (I just switched to Royal Purple a few months ago). In all, I would say AVOID Trophy Nissan if at all possible. Theyre a complete joke and are after nothing but your $. I replaced my radiator today BTW :)

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
That sucks, but where did you get a radiator for $200?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
A lot of those recommendations are std statements based on odometer, not known condition or history. Ignore it, all the dealers do them that way.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
If you search online youc an find em for as low as $140 shipped. I just googled "Titan Radiator" and searched a few sites.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealership even offered me a refurbished one with complete 12,000 mile or 1 year warranty for $250 after i mentioned the priced. He said the other one was new at almost $500 I think is what he quoted plus the labor to install. But autozone happened to have one a customer ordered and never picked up for $275 so I took it. Didnt have time to wait

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of those recommendations are std statements based on odometer, not known condition or history. Ignore it, all the dealers do them that way.
Yea, I mentioned all that to the guy because the fact he suggested it all to me got me pretty hot. After that he said "uh, well, maybe they didnt check everything like they said. Sometimes we just go by mileage". The pamphlet they printed out for me states they phsically checked fluids.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
car-stuff.com has Silla two row radiator for $208 shipped.

Stay away from the $140 radiator, it will most likely be a Visteon and that is the same crap that is all ready in there.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
I purchased a CFS radiator (they make the OEM), for $154 shipped.

It is the exact same one they put in from the factory.

If this one cracks, I'll be calling Kyle at Stillen for an All Aluminum one.....:D

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I purchased a CFS radiator (they make the OEM), for $154 shipped.

It is the exact same one they put in from the factory.

If this one cracks, I'll be calling Kyle at Stillen for an All Aluminum one.....:D
Really?? Does your OEM Radiator say CSF on it? Mine has Visteon in raised letters right along with the rest of the plastic stuff under the hood.

So if yours is CSF and mine is a Visteon and these POS radiators from both manufacturers are cracking Then maybe it isn't a radiator problem. The radiator cap and resivoir cap have given alot of us trouble. I wonder if the pressure isn't being released right causing the radiators to crack??

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i believe we need a more in depth investigation on this problem. how about a different cap? the cap is just that a cap correct? it does not vent.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Correct, the pressure is constant between Rad and Bottle. The Bottle has the Real Cap. It does the venting. To prevent the leaking i was still getting at hig RPMs, I have recently changed to a 350Z Cap, which is a traditional Functioning Cap, it is not rated quite as high as the NISMO Cap many have used. No need for even higher pressure or the high price of the NISMO. I wanted to stop the leaking, but not overstress the Radiator.

350Z Turbo Radiator Cap P/N 21430-79901 16.8 PSI $14.25
NISMO Radiator Cap P/N 21430-RS012 18.2 PSI $32.50 (You're paying for the name)
TITAN Radiator Cap (Springless) but has rating of 12.6 PSI. The Functioning Black Plastic Cap on the Bottle is also 12.6 PSI.

So, if my Rad Cap releases at 16.8, it will go to the Overflow Bottle like most vehicles do, and if still excess pressure, it will Vent as Nissan designed the system to do so at 12.6 PSI at the Bottle. Most Radiators run between 13-16 PSI, so I feel safe. Just as long as the Radiator does simply fail due to weak design, which is what Plastic Radiators are known for among mechanics... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, why are the radiators failing? If the units themselves are weak, I would think that a higher pressure cap would just add more stress to the already weak radiator. It seems like that would prevent the leaking in the short term, but increase the chances that the radiator would fail. So really, the only true fix would be a new radiator, and a the higher rated cap?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Correct, the pressure is constant between Rad and Bottle. The Bottle has the Real Cap. It does the venting. To prevent the leaking i was still getting at hig RPMs, I have recently changed to a 350Z Cap, which is a traditional Functioning Cap, it is not rated quite as high as the NISMO Cap many have used. No need for even higher pressure or the high price of the NISMO. I wanted to stop the leaking, but not overstress the Radiator.

350Z Turbo Radiator Cap P/N 21430-79901 16.8 PSI $14.25
NISMO Radiator Cap P/N 21430-RS012 18.2 PSI $32.50 (You're paying for the name)
TITAN Radiator Cap (Springless) but has rating of 12.6 PSI. The Functioning Black Plastic Cap on the Bottle is also 12.6 PSI.

So, if my Rad Cap releases at 16.8, it will go to the Overflow Bottle like most vehicles do, and if still excess pressure, it will Vent as Nissan designed the system to do so at 12.6 PSI at the Bottle. Most Radiators run between 13-16 PSI, so I feel safe. Just as long as the Radiator does simply fail due to weak design, which is what Plastic Radiators are known for among mechanics... :)
I think that is a cap is a bad Idea, you can build up air in the radiator. The bottle is not just an overflow, it is a flow thru design. That is why there are two hoses on the bottle, on on the top and one on the bottom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts