Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching all over this forum and the internet to find how much these wheels weigh and I am getting nothing. Does anyone know what the 17" OEM steel wheel and the 17" Off Road wheel weighs. I am trying to gather a pair of rims to mount drag radials on for the track and need to know which ones I should go with, thanks!!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
i think the offroad rim wheighs 28 pounds... i think thats what i read last night...

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you're going to a dragstrip with a "normal" pickup truck, the wheels won't make ANY difference. The truck is heavy, dragstrip-wise, and has known weight and horsepower.

If you're dirving a Titan with standard V8, your launch technique will make MUCH more difference than the wheels.

A K&N air filter will make more of a difference. So would your tire choice.

Just my opinion after 30 years of racing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GregP said:
If you're going to a dragstrip with a "normal" pickup truck, the wheels won't make ANY difference. The truck is heavy, dragstrip-wise, and has known weight and horsepower.

If you're dirving a Titan with standard V8, your launch technique will make MUCH more difference than the wheels.

A K&N air filter will make more of a difference. So would your tire choice.

Just my opinion after 30 years of racing.
So you are saying a 28 lb wheel versus say double that weight isn't going to make a difference? After custom tune, headers, and full exhaust I am pretty sure my wheelspin will be greater than what it already is with the current mods I have. It was just a simple question to see which wheel is lighter to benefit me at the track but now I know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Assume sea level and let's assume your Titan weighs 5,000 pounds and makes 325 HP with the mods you have done.

Using standard drag racing formulas your ET in the quarter mile would be about 14.49 seconds at about 94.1 mph using stan dard techniques.

Now assume you buy the heavier wheels, so your truck weight 5,056 pounds.

Again using standard drag racing formulas your ET would be 14.54 seconds at 93.7 mph using the same standard techniques.

Yes, you went slower, but the ET only got worse by 0.3%!

A good launch technique that results in good 60-foot times will buy you more than that. And that's all I meant to say ... sorry if I implied otherwise. :)

Good luck with your Titan. Beat the crap out the Tundras! We're already faster and quicker than Chevys and Fords.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
So you are saying a 28 lb wheel versus say double that weight isn't going to make a difference? After custom tune, headers, and full exhaust I am pretty sure my wheelspin will be greater than what it already is with the current mods I have. It was just a simple question to see which wheel is lighter to benefit me at the track but now I know.
Although I don't have the weight for either wheel, it isn't that much. I wouldn't put much concern on it, the difference at the track will be nill. Because the tire is the larger portion of the wheel package it might make a small difference, but the wheels don't have the same "flywheel effect" because they're smaller in dia.
Since your rotational weight won't change much I'd look at other things to lighten up the truck...1/4 tank of fuel, no spare tire, etc...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GregP said:
Assume sea level and let's assume your Titan weighs 5,000 pounds and makes 325 HP with the mods you have done.

Using standard drag racing formulas your ET in the quarter mile would be about 14.49 seconds at about 94.1 mph using stan dard techniques.

Now assume you buy the heavier wheels, so your truck weight 5,056 pounds.

Again using standard drag racing formulas your ET would be 14.54 seconds at 93.7 mph using the same standard techniques.

Yes, you went slower, but the ET only got worse by 0.3%!

A good launch technique that results in good 60-foot times will buy you more than that. And that's all I meant to say ... sorry if I implied otherwise. :)

Good luck with your Titan. Beat the crap out the Tundras! We're already faster and quicker than Chevys and Fords.
I got ya, hopefully I didn't come across the wrong way:cheers:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
loufish said:
Although I don't have the weight for either wheel, it isn't that much. I wouldn't put much concern on it, the difference at the track will be nill. Because the tire is the larger portion of the wheel package it might make a small difference, but the wheels don't have the same "flywheel effect" because they're smaller in dia.
Since your rotational weight won't change much I'd look at other things to lighten up the truck...1/4 tank of fuel, no spare tire, etc...
I see what you are saying and that makes sense, I was thinking the same. Didn't know if it would be a huge difference or not. When I hit the track I have 1/4 tank or less, remove spare, remove rear seats remove any unnecessary junk in the cab and lower the rear tire pressure to help with the weight reduction and still only muster a 15.5:mad:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I see what you are saying and that makes sense, I was thinking the same. Didn't know if it would be a huge difference or not. When I hit the track I have 1/4 tank or less, remove spare, remove rear seats remove any unnecessary junk in the cab and lower the rear tire pressure to help with the weight reduction and still only muster a 15.5
Sounds like you're throw'n down most of the tricks!
Don't for get to air up the frt tires...

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Wheel weight does make a difference, along with diameter.

The 17" OR wheels are much lighter than the steel 17's. So much so that all four (with tires) are (about) 100lbs. less than the steelies. 100lbs lighter should shave about 1/10 off your time.
Generally speaking, if you have less unspring weight to turn in the tires, you'll get down the track with a higher speed. Whether or not it's a faster time, that's really in your launch.

As for track prep, if you're running street radials, I wouldn't lower the tires, I'd leave the rears the same, and inflate the fronts, slightly. Less drag, and it will help your trap speed, slightly.

I'm pretty happy with my track times. Iv'e spent about 550 in mods so far and you can see my times in my sig.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What size of tires are you mounting on those wheels?

I have been looking for a set of spare rims so I can put some smaller (as in lesser circumference) tires onto them. It's essentially the same thing as having a higher differential ratio with a fraction of the cost and effort. You will look a little silly on the track with the smaller back wheels but it will pay off in torque multiplication. Lightning guys do it all the time and they're gaining HUGE chunks of seconds with that modification alone.

Let me know what your plans are.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Lo profile drag radials are the way to do it.

Titan5683 said:
I see what you are saying and that makes sense, I was thinking the same. Didn't know if it would be a huge difference or not. When I hit the track I have 1/4 tank or less, remove spare, remove rear seats remove any unnecessary junk in the cab and lower the rear tire pressure to help with the weight reduction and still only muster a 15.5:mad:
Did you remember to remove your tailgate and hitch? That front passenger seat is pretty heavy, too. This thing has a LOT of weight that can be shed.

Andrew

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ablexus said:
Lo profile drag radials are the way to do it.

Did you remember to remove your tailgate and hitch? That front passenger seat is pretty heavy, too. This thing has a LOT of weight that can be shed.

Andrew
Yes I forgot to throw that in there! Haven't gone as far as removing the front seat though my wife would not like that too much!!

I was trying to find a set of 30" diameters or find out if 28" diameters would make me hit the speed limiter during the run before I get my tune done. I PM'd a member here and haven't heard back from him yet so it's up in the air.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The 17" OR wheels are much lighter than the steel 17's. So much so that all four (with tires) are (about) 100lbs. less than the steelies.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is 25 lbs per wheel difference, the 17" O/R alloy wheels are pretty heavy also...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
so the o/r rim is 28 pounds versus the steelies at 53 lbs ? ... doubt it.. they are the same size! cant be that much of a difference

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
killcatzforfun said:
so the o/r rim is 28 pounds versus the steelies at 53 lbs ? ... doubt it.. they are the same size! cant be that much of a difference
Well its steel vs. aluminum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts