Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started noticing at stop lights that 5-10 seconds after coming to a complete stop it feels like someone came up and kicked the rear of the truck. The first time i felt it, i thought someone had rolled into me. Any thoughts on what is going on? I would take it in to the dealer but don't have the time right now.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sounds like axle wrap. Do a search and read about it. Does it stopping and taking off.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to have that when I first got my truck... It went away after awhile, but pretty positive it was axle wrap.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You could try tightening the u bolts to 89 lb-ft to help minimize it. Actually, i just did that today. Most of the bolts were only torqued to around 60 to 70 lb-ft. It still makes that thumping sound when stopping, but not as loud as it once was. Taking off, I haven't heard it yet since I've tightened the bolts. But again, I've driven once so I don't know if the problem is completely gone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it may have been axle wrap, but i didn't realize it would move the truck after coming to a complete stop! wow... so will the $20 spring thing help this till i can get the traction bars?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
If this is occurring after you stop, it's not axle wrap. Axle wrap occurs whenever you accelerate from a stop and would NOT occur 5-10 seconds after you've just came to a stop.

On a side note, here's a good page with info covering alot of things:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

Axle wrap is one of the biggest concerns with a SOA setup. Axle wrap is when the torque on the axle tube tries to rotate the axle pinion up when under power. This twist causes the leaf springs to twist up into an 'S' shape then snap back which leads to loss of traction, wheel hop and usually broken parts. With a SOA equipped vehicle, axle wrap (also called spring wrap) is usually worse because there is more leverage for the twisting axle to work against the springs.

This is usually a problem with big engines, lots of torque and/or big, meaty, gnarly, grippy tires. Where it is a problem, an anti-wrap device of some sort can be used.

also...

Axle wrap occurs when the rotational force of the tires causes the axlehousing to twist or rotate. This rotation forces the springs to bend into an S-shape. When the axlehousing rotates far enough, forces cause the tires to loose traction, and jump, or "hop". Once traction is lost, the springs snap back into their original positions.

This happens over and over until the truck gains better traction or the driver reduces torque input by letting off the throttle.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've been experiencing the after stop thump to the point where I look in my rearview mirror to see if someone tapped me from behind...It is a noticable kick in the rear...

1. It is not my utilitrack covers
2. i have nothing stored in the bed
3. Cleats are secured in my side box
4. Titan brothers are saying here that it is not "axel wrap" if the vehicle is already at a stop.

Sooooo....What is it? and is my truck being damaged somehow?

Is there a diffinitive answer?

·
Registered
274 Posts
what said:
I recently started noticing at stop lights that 5-10 seconds after coming to a complete stop it feels like someone came up and kicked the rear of the truck. The first time i felt it, i thought someone had rolled into me. Any thoughts on what is going on? I would take it in to the dealer but don't have the time right now.
Do you have the utilitrack system? The timing delay seems a little long, but the plastic covers on the bed floor tracks slide fore and aft. I always get a thunk after a stop. My thunk is the covers hitting the front of the bed.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Get under your truck and see if you can twist the drive shaft more the a 1/4 inch either way. It may be slack in the drive train.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It is axle wrap. The same thing happens when you stop as when you accelerate. The weak spring setup our Titans have causes this. When you come to a stop , the rear brakes causes the axle wrap to occur just the opposite as when you accelerate. After you come to a stop and release your brake slightly, the springs pop back and make the noise. Then when you accelerate, you might hear a clunk also. Nissan modified the 08 Titan spring setup to help eliminate this. Check your spring setup compared to the 08. The 08 parts are different from 04-07. You can use helper springs or order the Roadmaster springs which seems to work good. E-bay has them selling for $79 plus shipping. I have fought this wrap problem for 4 years and it is a pain in the rectum. JMO

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
^^^^^^Exactly what he said, but most will experience a bump feeling and no noise.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Im experiensing the same issue when I come to a stop. It doesnt happen all the time but it is real annoying. I took my truck 2 the dealer twice and they always say that they "where not able to reproduced the problem" ....

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Would traction bar defenetly fix this problem? or is there any cheaper fix?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Folks that have installed helper springs have said it helped. I installed helpers and it helped a great deal but sometimes you still get some axle wrap. I am going to order the Roadmaster suspension and try it. I have heard good results from some on this forum and on other forums . Dodge and Toyota forums claim some of the same problems. The problem lies with the spring over axle design we have.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. My prg traction bars should be in friday, so i will see if they help.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
let us know any updates. I need to get this corrected pronto is real annoying

1 - 20 of 26 Posts