Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've got a buddy in san diego that is willing to weld the diff on my Titan for a very small amount..

Got a couple questions..

Has anyone ever done it?
How bad is it for city driving? (i.e. turning corners)
How does it hold up?

He would be welding all the spider gears and also welding extra metal in for more strength..

Im thinking about doing this because i dont have the coin right now for a truetrac and i am REALLY sick of the one tire fire..

Comments, concerns, advice?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unless you spend alot of time offroad (and i assume that you don't?), it is a bad idea. As for turning corners it sucks because you lose the ability for one tire to slip since both are in constant traction which leads to increased tire wear. As far as holding up, depends on the setup. I used to run a welded Sterling 10.25 on my F-150 with 42's and it held up until I got the money for the Detroit, but if not done properly the welds can break free and eat up your gears then you are in a bad spot. Never tried to use it for a street application. Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welded diff's are bad ideas for street applications. In a situation where you must turn now both tires will want to turn at the same speed causing premature tire wear and increasing stress on your driveline. It's not uncommon to break something with welded diffs, usally the diff or axles.
You also will have a hard time controlling your vehicle in ice, snow and wet weather and will find your rearend sliding around.

On off road rigs or vehicles that travel a straight line they will give you good traction but for everything else it's a no-no.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
It's a great idea if you are into supporting your local tire shop, the police coffers and the parts counter.

It is my observation that a Titan roasting the rears gets the attention of law enforcement.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Bad idea which is even worse when applied to our crappy diffs.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
ya, don't do it. cheap and stupid equates to junk. talked to my buddy down in el cajon who works at one of the best drivetrain/gear shops in san diego and says it can be done but is really not a good idea with our rear ends. don't do it. this is coming from a guy with a titan with a dana 60 with dana 70 sleeves, detroit full-time locker, etc, etc, etc... do it right or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Fine on a Old toyota or somthing like that, actually had one didnt drive bad on the street exept for parking lot stuff. Not so good for a primary street vehicle or the weak diffs.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input guys!

You are correct in assuming the truck doesnt see dirt.. as for doing burnouts and stuff, ill save it for the track.. thats the reason i need both wheels to hook up rather than peg leg down the track..

i appreciate the honesty.. now its time to save up for a true trac and 3.73's!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i was thinking of doing the same thing and the reason y i think it wouldnt be so bad cuz me and my buddy built a kart/car with a 600cc gsxr motor(100hp thats 600lbs 113" wheel base) with a solid rear axle and we have no problems with traction in corners it holds no problem, the tires are still good too ... not that u wont break something in your rear from it though ... but my thinking on it is, if i want to get sideways around a corner wet or dry im gonna do it either way and if i dont i wont with or with out a solid diff. but im a poor college student that just purchased his first truck so anything free is good ... but i also could be so wrong

1 - 12 of 12 Posts