Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few quick searches I couldn't find a answer to the question of guys welding their 07 and older shackles to beef them up.

A few weeks ago my passenger side shackle went, just like lots of guys and shot through the bed of my truck. :crybaby: I couldn't wait to order PRG's so I just bought the 08 OEM and installed it.

I don't want to buy the PRG's now that I have a new 08 shackle on so the question is... can I weld my drivers side shackle with the same style of plate that the new 08's have on them? Has anybody done this yet? Would I have to get the bushing out before welding it?

I could just buy another new one but at $55 for it, and me having a welder and shop to use I would like to see if I could go this route first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic of damage

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another pic

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't beef it up with some plate steel. Just cut a piece like the one on your new shackle and weld it up. Make sure you prep the steel and the shackle properly so that you get a could solid structural weld. I would remove any bushing too so it doesn't melt.

-Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was anybody able to get the bushing out of the shackle? I tried to get it out of the broken one and it didn't want to come.

Other than a little heat and a lot of hammer does anybody have any tips?

·
Registered
686 Posts
By the time you buy a new bushing, cut the plate to reinforce, and then spend the time welding it..... hardly worth it for a $25.00 brand new updated one.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the time you buy a new bushing, cut the plate to reinforce, and then spend the time welding it..... hardly worth it for a $25.00 brand new updated one.....
Will the old bushing be totalled if I pull it or can I reuse it?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Probably pretty messed up by the time it's pressed out and back in again.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Also, the 08+ shackle uses a seamless tube, unlike the older tube with a seam that allows it to unroll. There are two improvements on the newer design which include the seamless tube and added gusset plate.

Reactions: Coldtitan

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the 08+ shackle uses a seamless tube, unlike the older tube with a seam that allows it to unroll. There are two improvements on the newer design which include the seamless tube and added gusset plate.
Good to know. I will just pay the $55 bucks to buy a new one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nissanpartszone sells them for like $25 each

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nissanpartszone sells them for like $25 each
They don't ship to Canada.

Usually anything bought online for a Canadian is more expensive due to extra shipping plus we have to pay 12% tax plus duty if the product doesn't fall under NFTA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts