Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Sorry in advance, but this is going to be a long post. This is the first real problem I've had with the T since I got her almost 7 years ago (sad face)...

Last night I was trying to get up the hill to my house, with a few inches of snow and ice on the ground, and attempted to put my truck in 4H, and all I got was grinding. I know what you're thinking, and, no, my rear wheels were not spinning. I was careful to make sure I was on all dry pavement with my foot off the gas, letting it roll, when I threw the switch. So, I flipped it back to 2WD, and pulled over to try again. This time, my dashboard said I was in 4H, but when I gassed it, all I got was more grinding, rear wheels slipping, no front traction, and eventually a loud "clang".

So after my dad pulled me up the hill, and I let her defrost in the garage for the day, I have discovered something: the differential housing, just to the inside of the right half-shaft, is completely separated, which is pushing said half-shaft outward, into the wheel hub. I have checked the left one numerous times, and it appears to be fine. So, in theory, I should still have 3-wheel drive, right? (unfortunately, there's no way to tell, it's an open diff).

So, here's my thoughts on what happened: about 2 weeks ago, during another heavy storm, I had to haul my mom's car up that same hill when it got icy, and I had 4H engaged, with all 4 tires spinning like crazy. Since the housing has separated on that diff, only a small amount of fluid has leaked out, which leads me to believe that I was low on fluid, and something has swelled/seized-up, causing the diff to break, and causing me to loose my 4 wheel drive.

Does that sound plausible? Any comments/advice are appreciated. I haven't been driving it (in a rental right now), I have made an appointment at the shop to have it looked at, but now I am worried that driving it to the shop may cause more damage. Again, any advice is appreciated.

On a different note, I have read that because our front differentials are made of aluminum (correct me if I'm wrong), they don't make lockers for them. So if I end up having to get this replaced, how hard would it be to swap in a more heavy duty front diff, like off an HD Chevy with IFS, like ours, and install a locker then? I'm sure that seems far-fetched, just throwing out some ideas.

Thanks for your input!

Graham

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Not sure I understand what you mean by the "housing is completely separated". The two common modes of failure are (1) The half shaft pulls out because only a C-clip is holding the inner splined end in engagement with the side gear splines. This typically results in the half shaft flange (the one the CV shaft is bolted to) pulling away from the side of the diff a little bit, the loss of 4x4 and the spilling of some gear oil. If the C-clip is still engaged in its groove on the inner end of the shaft, some people have been able to simply push the half shaft back into place. (2) The aluminum housing cracks, typically from trying to pull another vehicle or a stump in reverse, spilling all of the gear oil and leaving an obvious fracture in the diff housing, possibly with broken pieces on the ground.

They upgraded the diff in 2006 to resist half shaft ejection and to strengthen the housing with additional ribbing. They sell for about $1200 new online and take a couple of hours to install.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@bestatchess, that option #1 sounds about right. There's no real evidence of a crack or a fracture, I just assumed that the housing was broken. That's just a C-clip that holds it in place? Forgive my ignorance, but can the repair shop swap in that 2006 differential very easily (mine's a 2004)? For $1200 and a stronger front differential, you have my attention...

Also, can I still drive with that crippled front end, or do I risk doing more damage to that diff? I would like to get it into the shop, but If i have to tow it there, it's gonna be pricey!

@04BlackTitanLE, thanks for the offer, I'll have to see what happens...

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If you are going to replace the diff, I would drive it in 2WD. (In fact that is what I did when mine failed) If you are going to attempt to repair the diff, I would not, as the front half shafts spin all the time as the hubs do not unlock, and you might, for example, mess up the splines on the end of the half shaft.

general front diff failure thread: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/68142-front-axle-failer-thread.html

Here is a thread for R&R:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...erience-diy-ing-front-differential-titan.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks a lot for those links! That is a lot of really usefull info!

I guess I'm going to chance it and drive it to the shop, then we'll go from there.

I still don't know whether they will be overhauling it, or just replacing it. Im kind of hoping they replace it, after reading up on this so much.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any chance that your guys ABS and Slip light comes on when you have the diff failures? I do have oil coming out the breather now and then. I have the ABS and slip lights on and it wont go into 4wd...im not gettting any grinding though.

·
Premium Member
75,666 Posts
Any chance that your guys ABS and Slip light comes on when you have the diff failures? I do have oil coming out the breather now and then. I have the ABS and slip lights on and it wont go into 4wd...im not gettting any grinding though.
Check your wheels sensors.

I broke a wheel sensor (e-brake pads de-laminated and took it out) and the brake/abs/slip lights were all on.

I discovered 4wd won't engage if that's the case. My sensor was 12 bucks. I don't believe you have to remove the wheel to replace it either, but I did to do the brake job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check your wheels sensors.

I broke a wheel sensor (e-brake pads de-laminated and took it out) and the brake/abs/slip lights were all on.

I discovered 4wd won't engage if that's the case. My sensor was 12 bucks. I don't believe you have to remove the wheel to replace it either, but I did to do the brake job.
Thanks Alot DeadRiver, ill check it out, where did you get the new pads from? factory or aftermarket? thanks again!

·
Premium Member
75,666 Posts
Thanks Alot DeadRiver, ill check it out, where did you get the new pads from? factory or aftermarket? thanks again!
I replaced the rotors and pads with parts from the local speed shop, OEM.

The wheel sensor, e-brake pads, adjuster, and hardware kit I had to purchase through Nissan parts. I didn't really have to do the pads/rotors but figured while I was back there and it was all apart I may as well. The inside of the rotor drum was slightly scored from the pads de-laminating and the subsequent carnage that ensued.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, again.

Sorry, I'm gonna interrupt your discussion here for just a second:

I got my truck back from the shop on Friday:that c-clip thing was the problem. So, i got all new axles, a few new gears (forgive me, I don't know what they were), all new CV boots, and then filled 'er up with all new diff fluid. He said that truck should be good for a million miles (God, I hope so!). Total: $1,080, including labor and towing.

So, thanks for the help everyone. You have saved my baby once again!

Regards,
Graham

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my truck back from the shop the other day, and apparently the spider gears are worn which caused my passenger side axle to pop out. He put the new circlips in for now, but said it won't last long. So I ordered the updated front diff yesterday, but now I'm worried I didn't get everything I need.. Will I need new bearings and/or seals for the new diff or does it come with them? And can I reuse the circlips he just installed??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey DeadRiver,
I just had the same issue with my speed sensor and was wondering where you found the sensor for $12??? I can't seem to find one for less than $50 and that's for the rear one. The front costs OVER $100!!! Please tell me I don't have to spend 100 bucks for some little sensor!! Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Jess

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Hey DeadRiver,
I just had the same issue with my speed sensor and was wondering where you found the sensor for $12??? I can't seem to find one for less than $50 and that's for the rear one. The front costs OVER $100!!! Please tell me I don't have to spend 100 bucks for some little sensor!! Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Jess
I would not pay $100 for a front wheel speed sensor because I can buy a brand new hub assembly with wheel speed sensor for around $140.

NEW Infiniti Nissan FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING | eBay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts