Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to change the muffler tonight. You know, one of those, 'Lets violate the warranty' type deals. That little bastard of a pipe necks down to 2 1/4" on the inlet and outlet of the muffler. My calipers only measured 2.5" on the main pipe in and out. So, whatever you do, don't put a glass pack in place of the muffler. It will be louder that hell- no problem, just that the resonance is killer inside the cab, but only from 1500-1800 rpm... right at 55mph in 5th. Those factory cats must flow well, that truck has a hellish volume to it. I'm thinking flowmaster(on my other truck, sounds fine) or dynomax ultraflow( they make a long version that will absorb sound) or a second muffler for sound cancellation.

Yes, I know factory exhausts are tuned to elimate resonance and all that, but damn, the Titan sounds pretty good opened up. I may go out an G-tech it later to see if I killed any power. I can always try flowmaster later.

I'm the type to try different exhausts. On my Z28, I had to swap mufflers till I found something I liked. Same on my old Dodge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
CI338 said:
Decided to change the muffler tonight. You know, one of those, 'Lets violate the warranty' type deals. That little bastard of a pipe necks down to 2 1/4" on the inlet and outlet of the muffler. My calipers only measured 2.5" on the main pipe in and out. So, whatever you do, don't put a glass pack in place of the muffler. It will be louder that hell- no problem, just that the resonance is killer inside the cab, but only from 1500-1800 rpm... right at 55mph in 5th. Those factory cats must flow well, that truck has a hellish volume to it. I'm thinking flowmaster(on my other truck, sounds fine) or dynomax ultraflow( they make a long version that will absorb sound) or a second muffler for sound cancellation.

Yes, I know factory exhausts are tuned to elimate resonance and all that, but damn, the Titan sounds pretty good opened up. I may go out an G-tech it later to see if I killed any power. I can always try flowmaster later.

I'm the type to try different exhausts. On my Z28, I had to swap mufflers till I found something I liked. Same on my old Dodge.
keep us posted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
CI338 said:
Decided to change the muffler tonight. You know, one of those, 'Lets violate the warranty' type deals. That little bastard of a pipe necks down to 2 1/4" on the inlet and outlet of the muffler. My calipers only measured 2.5" on the main pipe in and out. So, whatever you do, don't put a glass pack in place of the muffler. It will be louder that hell- no problem, just that the resonance is killer inside the cab, but only from 1500-1800 rpm... right at 55mph in 5th. Those factory cats must flow well, that truck has a hellish volume to it. I'm thinking flowmaster(on my other truck, sounds fine) or dynomax ultraflow( they make a long version that will absorb sound) or a second muffler for sound cancellation.

Yes, I know factory exhausts are tuned to elimate resonance and all that, but damn, the Titan sounds pretty good opened up. I may go out an G-tech it later to see if I killed any power. I can always try flowmaster later.

I'm the type to try different exhausts. On my Z28, I had to swap mufflers till I found something I liked. Same on my old Dodge.
How did violate the warranty? Adding a muffler wont void it. It will void your Exhause warranty but not the truck warranty. :huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out G-teching...

Old run, best without tailwind:
15.637 at 87.76 in 1/4 mile
10.008 at 71.45 in 1/8 mile
0-60 7.537sec
60' time 2.421-spun a little, slighty stalled converter

New run, no wind:
15.386 at 88.75 in 1/4
9.823 at 71.95 in 1/8
0-60 7.251sec
60' time 2.287-no spin, dead idle launch
This is not scientific or anything. Use my G-tech's numbers however you wish.

This truck screams for true duals. Maybe I just go get a set made later on. :gunz:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
please post your g-tec files when you do it, did you use the g-tec b4 the exhaust change to get a baseline?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
wow thats fast lol i just typed in my last message and your replied lol do you have a g-tech or g-tech pro? nice numbers btw. :smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
CI338 said:
Old run, best without tailwind:
15.637 at 87.76 in 1/4 mile
10.008 at 71.45 in 1/8 mile
0-60 7.537sec
60' time 2.421-spun a little, slighty stalled converter

New run, no wind:
15.386 at 88.75 in 1/4
9.823 at 71.95 in 1/8
0-60 7.251sec
60' time 2.287-no spin, dead idle launch
This is not scientific or anything. Use my G-tech's numbers however you wish.

This truck screams for true duals. Maybe I just go get a set made later on. :gunz:
nice #s i cant believe you got this from a muffler only wow!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
G-tech Pro. The wheel spin hurt the stock run, but the MPH is better on the big end with the POS glasspack. This engine has a ton of potential. Sorry if I type like carp, I just got back and am eating one huge homemade burritio.

I got a ton of looks from some of the kids around town tonight(I'm 29 going on 16 some nights), some the usual WTF is that truck, then a double take if I step into it. I'm definately the first person in the area to hop up a Titan. (Yeah, yeah 1 lousy, crappy mod does not make a hopped up truck, but I've only had it 2 1/2 weeks and very few parts are out there so far.)

If I could just lose the resonation I'd be happy, the truck is still quiter than my 95 Dodge with the BFG MT KO's on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
could please you post both g-tech files or links to them? mahalo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
bighawaii said:
could please you post both g-tech files or links to them? mahalo
Give me a while to download the software from G-tech. My ME PC died with the old download software still on it.

I hate dial up! Be patient, I needed to download the software anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, time to try attachments...

Here are my screen shots of the Titan's Gtech runs. I turned the HP feature on, too. The weight is prob. off some, affecting the displayed amounts, but it does show some difference
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
wow! nice gain indeed, thanks again btw anyone with a g-tech pro can use it to display roughly your hp/tq figures from roughly 1.5k-redline if you keep your rpms low till 2ed or 3rd gear and then floor it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bighawaii said:
wow! nice gain indeed, thanks again btw anyone with a g-tech pro can use it to display roughly your hp/tq figures from roughly 1.5k-redline if you keep your rpms low till 2ed or 3rd gear and then floor it.
Sounds like a plan. Maybe not for a Friday night, what with the police presence in town and the local girls hs basketball team playing in the state championship game tomorrow...hmmm, related? They only have to go 10 miles to play the game, so the party seems to be in town tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
awsome, cant wait till i can do a run and actually open this beast up.
break in period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This run was fun. -Disclaimer- The road has a crappy bump in it near the end of the 1/4 so it throws off the G-tech every time, but up to the 1000' mark is as flat as my other road I use. The main different is that the truck now has 50 more miles on this muffler.
 

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top