Nissan Titan Forum banner

What’s this in bottom of Catch can?

7K views 94 replies 18 participants last post by  aba4430 
What filter media is in there? Is it breaking down?

Clint

I was under the impression that the manufacturer put some type of filter to catch the oil droplets, I could be wrong the mrs always says I am. She also says I’m an …….

Clint

There was a thread on this forum a while back where a bunch of people were stating the Titan needed a catch can otherwise the engine will eventually fail, go bad, disintegrate , blow up or whatever it was...anyway...I'm skeptical of the whole idea and think it's nothing more than snake oil. If there was really an issue and we needed a catch can to protect our engine...Nissan would have installed one at the factory.
No because if you don’t drain it on time it would be even worse. They only need to make the vehicle survive the warranty period and then it’s on the owner’s dime. Direct injected engines if not cared for or let idle for long periods get much coking on the valve stems, the can helps keep all that oil mist from building over time. Most, not all people just drive and repair their rides, they don’t maintain them.

Clint

Reactions: 19Titan_dude
I just dumped mine after leaving it longer than I realized. It was about 3/4 full and had the same stuff in the bottom.
They offered a can extension for my JLT can so if I do it at 2500 and again at 5000 miles I’m good. It’s so easy to forget I’m sure that’s why they aren’t factory equipment. Many people just don’t maintain their cars, they just fix things when they fail instead.

Clint

I'm vigilant about maintaining my cars but I've never needed a catch can. And not having one has never caused a problem. A catch can is snake oil.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
So was my Pedal Commander until I bought it and tried it. It’s now over 4 years and in 2 Titans for a combined total of almost 110,000 miles. I was proved wrong. All the oil that’s been accumulated in my can in the last two years didn’t coat the back of my valves and their stems.
I respect your opinion, I just don’t agree with it.
Twelve years ago I towed a new Mustang GT to Roush in Livonia Michigan to have work done, it came back with dual catch cans on it, if so unnecessary why did they install them? I believe they are very well respected in automotive performance.

Think logically, do you put catch cans in other cars as well?
Yes I have catch cans in my other vehicles. The truck is direct injected so that makes it imperative.

Clint

Reactions: busemans
Any forced induction (supercharger and turbo) should 100% have catch cans. Not sure about the Mustang you had but my AGP TT LS Camaro had to have one. The blow bye is a give in and it needs somewhere to go and exhaust the extra pressure. I just added one on my Titan just to add insurance for any valve build up. Sure is not hard to dump the junk at each oil change. GDI’s do have issues on high mileage vehicles, so I went with it.
The Mustang is supercharged by Roush, my SRT Challenger is not but still has a can on it as well.
They sure can’t hurt to have.

So you spent $300 for a throttle manipulation device that just amplifies the pedal input?? What does it help your Titan do now that it couldn't do before the pedal commander.
It takes far less pedal input to get a response, it was well worth it to me. You do you and the rest of us will do us.

Clint

I empty my catch can every time I change the oil. Does the job nicely!
At how many miles? I don’t wait until my 5000 mile interval even with the can extension. I had a 2005 it was a wonderful truck.

Clint

I get an inch and a quarter approximately every 2500 miles, my can was made by JLT who offers an extension, prior to obtaining that I checked every 1000-1250 miles.

Clint

Reactions: aba4430
No, just ordered the standard kit with a single can. Will get used to it and decide if I want the additional can.
Forced air induction engines use 2 cans.

Clint

What stealth option are you referring to?

Clint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.