Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys. I have 2 stadard 3 ton jacks but not an extended lift. can i use blocks the raise the jack up then jack up the hitch as I have seen from someone here?? i want to install the rear shackles now. should I center on the hitch mount? in center where ball enters?
thanks
chris

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
You can lift the truck with blocks.
I think that is what I did.
Resist the urge to but the bolts in backwards.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've seen a few people post about putting the truck on jack stands first, then use the floor jack under the rear diff to raise it which releases the pressure on the shackles. Thats is the method I'm going to try unless I have it all wrong.....LOL.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've seen a few people post about putting the truck on jack stands first, then use the floor jack under the rear diff to raise it which releases the pressure on the shackles. Thats is the method I'm going to try unless I have it all wrong.....LOL.
I did the same....great method.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation, always good to hear about someone else doing it this way.

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Yep, this is the easiest way and the way that I used. Any time the wheels are off the ground I have floor jacks supporting it. Plus, by jacking it up it gives you a little more room underneath such that you can sit on your butt underneath instead of having to do it from your back.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You have floor jacks supporting it or jack stands??

·
Premium Member
21,294 Posts
Sorry, you are correct. The jack stands are supporting the frame. The floor jack is used only to adjust the axle up/down for positioning the leaf spring to the correct height to ensure that the bolts are easy to remove/install.

Reactions: Lvcoyote

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ok, cool...... I'll be doing this upgrade in the next few weeks and was just wondering if you had a better way.....LOL. I'll be supporting the frame on jack stands and putting the floor jack under the rear diff for adjusting to proper height for bolt removal. You also made a great point about being able to sit up and not have to lay on your back doing it this way. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I would definitely get two jackstands to support the frame and just use on floor jack to adjust the diff up and down... Set Parking Brake, and chock the front tires as well... That's the method I used... If you have a bedside box, you'll need to disassembly it from the mount and remove it to access the driver's side shackle bolts...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yea, I do have the bedside box, PITA.....LOL. I've found a how to on removing that as well so hopefully all goes well with that part too..... thanks for the heads up!

·
Super Moderator
37,251 Posts
Just a heads up, dont try and pull the plastic box out. Just unbolt it on the side and drop the whole thing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
10-4, I read that somewhere else too so I planned to remove the whole box assembly, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oh come on man, have a little faith will ya??....LMFAO!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,251 Posts
If you mess your box up, I have a spare one for you... :rofl:
Hey ... its not fair that you have 2 boxes ... :teethmast

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, there is no way to install one shackle at a time by jacking up one side of the truck? do you have to have the entire rear up in the air?

I thought it would be easy to just jack up the one side, change out the shackle and then do the other side.

any thoughts? anybody do it this way?

thanks
chris

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can lift the truck with blocks.
I think that is what I did.
Resist the urge to but the bolts in backwards.
I thought jack up the hitch, get it so the spring tension is off. lift the thing until the tires just get off the ground. slip the jack stands under the frame at the Arrow locations. Then use anther jack to raise/lower the pumpkin to adjust the bolt removal/install.

anybody Video their install? this would be a good how to thing!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
No that's exactly how it works, it's simple. 30 min. job or less.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
The shackles can be changed using the spare tire jack that came with your Titan. There's no reason to run out and buy jack stands and a floor jack if you don't already own them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts