Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys/gals, i'm trying to find a sweet, aggressive mud terrain tire that will fit on the 17" OR rim, preferably under $1,000 for the 4. i have a 6" procomp kit that i'll be installing in a few weeks as well.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cooper Discoverer S/T
Nitto Mud Grappler
BFG T/A KO
Pro Comp

Not sure about sizes available, but I seem to remember them being available in 35's

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
35x12.5x18 Mud Grapps on my truck, they were actually cheaper than the ones for 17s. you wont get them for under 1000 tho. Try Kumho's I think they're reasonably priced.
good luck, do alot of research so you'll be 100% satisfied with your choice.
Oh yeah, Nitto Mud Grapplers are loud as hell!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback guys. i have actually been lusting over the mud grapps for a while now, the only big problem i'm having is that the stock OR wheels are only 7.5" wide, which is not wide enough for any of the 12.50 tires i've been finding.
one possibility is the 315/70/17 mickey thompson baja radials, but it says they're for light truck applications, so i dunno if i can put them on the titan??

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Hey, I've got the stock 18's sittin' in the back of the garage. I'm not using them and if you dont mind the drive to say Savannah, we'll meet up.
Free no charge, the only catch is I tried to paint them black and I just dont think its gonna stick or not scratch. If you wanted to have them sand blasted and powder coated they'd be fine. Or you can try your luck with my paint job. Also the valve stems are removed, so you'd have to use yours out of your 17's if they'll fit.
let me know.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If it's a mud tire you REALLY want, and not an AT wannabe, then INTERCO is the brand -- the SuperSwamper folks.

I play in the mud in a lifted, modded '77 CJ5 Jeep. 36 inch bias ply SuperSwampers are amazing on that thing.

But for our trucks, you might want to look at this variation:

http://www.intercotire.com/site34.php

Note there is a 35x10.50x17 that should fit just nicely. Now these are real mud tires. They will come very close to true SuperSwamper performance while being a bit more highway friendly and quieter. But they are mud tires.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jasonmotox said:
Hey, I've got the stock 18's sittin' in the back of the garage. I'm not using them and if you dont mind the drive to say Savannah, we'll meet up.
Free no charge, the only catch is I tried to paint them black and I just dont think its gonna stick or not scratch. If you wanted to have them sand blasted and powder coated they'd be fine. Or you can try your luck with my paint job. Also the valve stems are removed, so you'd have to use yours out of your 17's if they'll fit.
let me know.
that is one generous offer! I appreciate it & I would take you up on it, but my truck is in idaho while I'm here in NC, so I would have to ship them to ID. still a good deal, but I'm also working on buying a used set of wheels & tires from a CT member. we'll see if that goes thru.....
thanks again tho!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Armada said:
If it's a mud tire you REALLY want, and not an AT wannabe, then INTERCO is the brand -- the SuperSwamper folks.

I play in the mud in a lifted, modded '77 CJ5 Jeep. 36 inch bias ply SuperSwampers are amazing on that thing.

But for our trucks, you might want to look at this variation:

http://www.intercotire.com/site34.php

Note there is a 35x10.50x17 that should fit just nicely. Now these are real mud tires. They will come very close to true SuperSwamper performance while being a bit more highway friendly and quieter. But they are mud tires.

Enjoy.
wow that is a pretty sweet option too...I'm on my phone right now, do u know what the price is on those? I musta missed it.
how loud are they compared to the nitto muds or the kumho KL71's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lurchdubious said:
anybody else know anything about these interco SSR's??
i had them for awhile on a hardbody, wasnt very impressed. they have the normal superswamper problems, like flat spots and fast wear. id have to get an alignment every few months. i only got about 20k miles out of them, then gave them to someone with a jeep and got the mt baja claws. i immediately noticed a big difference in the ride.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
timsp8 said:
i had them for awhile on a hardbody, wasnt very impressed. they have the normal superswamper problems, like flat spots and fast wear. id have to get an alignment every few months. i only got about 20k miles out of them, then gave them to someone with a jeep and got the mt baja claws. i immediately noticed a big difference in the ride.
thanks man. yeah i think i like the look of the mickeys more anyways.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
here are my Mickey Thompson's and they are 12.50 wide and no problems although these are only 33" tall - i LOVE these things and are better in two wheel drive than the BFG in 4wheel drive - they are loud but not swamper loud hahaha
[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fox Delta said:
here are my Mickey Thompson's and they are 12.50 wide and no problems although these are only 33" tall - i LOVE these things and are better in two wheel drive than the BFG in 4wheel drive - they are loud but not swamper loud hahaha
[/IMG]
now that's what i'm talkin' about! so did you have any trouble getting a shop to put those on? the guy i talked to at commercial tire said he wouldn't put a 12.50 on a 7.5" wide tire. looks like it's workin' just fine for you tho, and i can't imagine too many problems makin' it work with a 35/12.50.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Lurchdubious said:
wow that is a pretty sweet option too...I'm on my phone right now, do u know what the price is on those? I musta missed it.
how loud are they compared to the nitto muds or the kumho KL71's?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...-SSR-40R&N=700+400869+315271+115&autoview=sku

Those are with 15 inch rims, but 17's are available. You can call or email for prices -- should be somewhere around $235-$250 per tire.

No alignment problems at all with my bias ply SuperSwampers. Because they are bias, they will flat spot a little bit if left sitting a while, but that goes away as soon as they warm up. That's a trait of bias ply tires, but should not be a problem with radials.

BTW: The SuperSwampers on my CJ-5 have been on it for ten (10) years! If you do a lot of street driving, they will probably wear faster than AT's, but that's the nature of the beast. Get off road with them a few times and you'll be glad to give up the wear for the performance.

Here's what the true Swampers look like on my CJ -- the SSR's will be close in appearance. (The spare on the back is a Buckshot mudder - just happened to have one in good shape so I only bought four Swampers).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Armada said:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...-SSR-40R&N=700+400869+315271+115&autoview=sku

Those are with 15 inch rims, but 17's are available. You can call or email for prices -- should be somewhere around $235-$250 per tire.

No alignment problems at all with my bias ply SuperSwampers. Because they are bias, they will flat spot a little bit if left sitting a while, but that goes away as soon as they warm up. That's a trait of bias ply tires, but should not be a problem with radials.

BTW: The SuperSwampers on my CJ-5 have been on it for ten (10) years! If you do a lot of street driving, they will probably wear faster than AT's, but that's the nature of the beast. Get off road with them a few times and you'll be glad to give up the wear for the performance.

Here's what the true Swampers look like on my CJ -- the SSR's will be close in appearance. (The spare on the back is a Buckshot mudder - just happened to have one in good shape so I only bought four Swampers).
those look pretty sweet, but i still have the problem of the 35's being 12.5 wide on a 17. thanks for the link tho. ...hmm, i'm really liking those mickey thompsons. if i could find a deal on them then i think i could pull the trigger.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
those look pretty sweet, but i still have the problem of the 35's being 12.5 wide on a 17. thanks for the link tho. ...hmm, i'm really liking those mickey thompsons. if i could find a deal on them then i think i could pull the trigger.
They fit, might wear a little weird because the tire is "pulled in" from the narrow rim but it's done all the time with desert tires, including several of my trucks/wheels in the past. What do you care about wear, you're running an aggressive tire on the street.
I just had a set of 33-12.50's on my stock O/R rims...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Lurchdubious said:
now that's what i'm talkin' about! so did you have any trouble getting a shop to put those on? the guy i talked to at commercial tire said he wouldn't put a 12.50 on a 7.5" wide tire. looks like it's workin' just fine for you tho, and i can't imagine too many problems makin' it work with a 35/12.50.
Nope no problem at all -- went to Discount tire and ordered them up :cheers:

so far i haven't had any weird wear patterns but i do run staggered air pressures (48 front /32 rear) as i corner WAY too quickly for mud tires so yeah the edges are a little more worn but they are not cupping any! I have been lazy on the rotations at 7k miles each time. they are due for rotate #3.

did I mention I really dig these tires?? :jester:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts