Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 king cab and we are looking at a travel trailer I just can get a straight answer on what my tow capacity is...... and that all will determine what I can get

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Get on the highway, set your cruise control at 70mph. Read your tach. If it says 1750rpm, you can tow "up to" 7200lbs, but anything over 150lbs in the truck (people, gear, snacks, tools, hitch, etc.) will take away from that number. If it says 2000rpm, you can tow up to 9300lbs, with the same conditions as above.

Using my own 2011 Pro4X as an example, I have the lower gears (3.36) and run 2000rpm at 70mph. So I can tow up to 9300lbs. But I have about 100lbs extra on the driver over the 150lb spec used to rate trailer capacity, plus another 40-50lbs of gear I carry (emergency kit, etc.), and another 70lbs or so for my hard tonneau, and another 50lbs for my oversized tires. Toss in a wife and two daughters (total of about 400lbs), and suddenly I'm down to around 8500lbs at max load, without even considering the 75lbs of weight-distributing hitch. Knowing things are not always spec, and max is always max, plug in a 10-20% safety margin and I'd personally be looking for a trailer in the 7000-7700lb range. And that's not dry weight. That's as towed, with water, propane, batteries, supplies, and luggage, which will often be somewhere around 85-90% of the GVWR of the trailer, or higher. Use GVWR, and you'll never go wrong, but you may end up with slightly less than the most you can safely tow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get on the highway, set your cruise control at 70mph. Read your tach. If it says 1750rpm, you can tow "up to" 7200lbs, but anything over 150lbs in the truck (people, gear, snacks, tools, hitch, etc.) will take away from that number. If it says 2000rpm, you can tow up to 9300lbs, with the same conditions as above.

Using my own 2011 Pro4X as an example, I have the lower gears (3.36) and run 2000rpm at 70mph. So I can tow up to 9300lbs. But I have about 100lbs extra on the driver over the 150lb spec used to rate trailer capacity, plus another 40-50lbs of gear I carry (emergency kit, etc.), and another 70lbs or so for my hard tonneau, and another 50lbs for my oversized tires. Toss in a wife and two daughters (total of about 400lbs), and suddenly I'm down to around 8500lbs at max load, without even considering the 75lbs of weight-distributing hitch. Knowing things are not always spec, and max is always max, plug in a 10-20% safety margin and I'd personally be looking for a trailer in the 7000-7700lb range. And that's not dry weight. That's as towed, with water, propane, batteries, supplies, and luggage, which will often be somewhere around 85-90% of the GVWR of the trailer, or higher. Use GVWR, and you'll never go wrong, but you may end up with slightly less than the most you can safely tow.
Alright so I can tow the 9300. I'll be sitting for 3-4months at a time and living in the thing. I've heard both ways as far as a fifth wheel goes with the titans and I'm finding a few fifth wheels that would actually work for my situation and haven't found many tt that would what are your opinions on that

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Well, you can tow 9300 if you weigh less than 150lbs and don't carry anything Nissan didn't install on your truck. Otherwise, start doing subtraction and figure out your real max.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you can tow 9300 if you weigh less than 150lbs and don't carry anything Nissan didn't install on your truck. Otherwise, start doing subtraction and figure out your real max.
Thinking of trying to stay around 8,000 total to be safe so 6,000 dry

·
Premium Member
72,798 Posts
8000 is going to be pushing the envelope. That won't be a comfortable tow. 5th wheels are a no no with our trucks as are toy haulers.

Reactions: Jdahlen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
8000 is going to be pushing the envelope. That won't be a comfortable tow. 5th wheels are a no no with our trucks as are toy haulers.

Shooting for 8,000 as a max with everything. What about a tt toy hauler(I would be using that space as a bedroom) not for extra toys

·
Premium Member
72,798 Posts
Toy haulers are nose heavy big time. Tongue weight gets bad on them quick.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Yep. Toy haulers are designed to have heavy objects in the area behind the axles, and as such, they concentrate a lot of weight forward of the axles so as to balance the trailer when loaded. Without the cantilevered weight in the "barn" area, you're going to be very nose heavy and have an extremely unenjoyable tow.

Now, if you bought a 6k dry trailer, which was really 6k dry (and I'd make the salesman take you somewhere to weigh it on a certified scale to prove the spec weights are in line with the real weights of the object...) you're likely to be alright as long as you don't max it out with gear/cargo/water. Ultimately, if you keep the full towed weight below 80-90% of your real max tow capacity (see my example calculations above) and you set up your WDH properly, you should be fine. But that's a lot of ifs and if one isn't "in line" you're begging for trouble. I'd challenge you to consider what a wrecked trailer looks like in terms of loss of life and property and act accordingly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts