Votes: 10 15.6%
  • something else

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess I am something else.....not sure what you would call it.

I want the government to be as uninvolved with my life as possible. I accept taxes as a necessity but would like to see them put to better use. Government should not be involved in any personal decisions such as abortion, assisted-suicide, or marriage (gay, straight, polygamous, or whatever). Let people do what they want to do. This includes so-called moral/victimless crimes such as prostitution and gambling (drug-use falls into a gray category for me because addiction does often lead to people commiting other crimes and therefore must be controlled to some degree). Gun control while necessary at some level...a felon just released shouldn't be able to pick up a gun at the corner store, should not prevent any law-abiding citizen from owning or carrying. The bullsh!t Bush has pulled with domestic spying absolutely makes me sick and I am sure it is much worse than what has been reported in major news sources but I don't put much faith in wack-job conspiracy theories so I don't know. The government should know as little about me as possible. And yes I acknowledge that making it harder for government to find out about me might make it harder to catch some criminals but that is a trade-off I am willing to make. I would prefer harsher penalties to offset this with better deterence especially for repeat offenders. And I don't think harsher necessarily has to mean longer. To me a prison with nothing in it but concrete and criminals, no beds, no books, no clothes, no air conditioning, literally just concrete and criminals sounds like a fine idea.

Government should prevent companies from overstepping their bounds. Sony or AT&T has no more right to spy on my computer or in my living room than the government.

It is the job of the government to protect its citzens...especially those who cannot protect themselves so there is and should be some (though I feel very limited) social services to further this goal. Top priority for these services should be to help those who are really trying to help themselves. If you don't care enough to try, I don't care enough to waste a dime on you.

The school system needs to be rethought. Not everyone is created equal that is the sad truth of the world so don't try to get everyone to the same level. And sorry but if you don't meet the standards you don't advance/graduate. Again offer help to those who are really trying but if someone in high school really doesn't want to be there, don't waste the time or resources on them. For those that are trying but just aren't going to make it focus on providing the skills that might actually help them. Bring back classes that teach trade skills and life skills like balancing a checkbook and how credit really works even if it means that these students get a little less shakespear and algebra.

I have a hard time defining what I think about healthcare. The government is way to wasteful to handle it yet when you make healthcare a for-profit venture someone is gonna get screwed so I don't see any good solution yet.

The government should focus on securing our borders and protecting us from foreign attack. Iraq was not protecting us and we shouldn't have gone there but now that we are there I don't think we can just pull out. Unfortunately war is not something that you can halfway commit to and I think that the only thing that would really fix Iraq would be a HUGE troop build-up (gonna need a draft to do it right) and establishing absolute control probably for a number of years before there is actually a government in the country that would be able to stand on its own but I know that this country isn't that committed to finishing what Bush started so Iraq is gonna be a painful quagmire for decades.

Immigration. First thing is slow the tide of illegals, we can't think about doing anything else until that is accomplished. I am smart enough to realize that it will never be stopped as long as the United States are so much better off than our neighbors. As long as there are people willing to risk their life to get out of their country it is going to be impossible to stop them from getting across all of the time but we can do better than what we are doing now. After this we can talk about what to do with those already here. Though I do think that punishing the companies that knowingly hire illegals is a great place to start. H1-B? Simple fix, if companies need foreign tech workers so bad because there aren't enough here and it isn't just getting cheaper labor. Increase the number allowed but auction the positions off by salary. If the salary for the last spot is alot higher than the avg. salary of US born tech worker then next year incresase the number allowed. If the auctioned salary is ever lower then next year reduce the number allowed as it is clear there is no shortage of workers (just a shortage of cheap workers).

Unfortunately I think these ideas leave me far removed from any major canidate or party so I really have no hope left for the government turning itself into something that I can be proud of. But who knows maybe common sense will make a comeback some day.

EDIT: Man was that a long rant. Sorry

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I would say I am something else because:

1) I want crooks in jail - not out looting the countryside.

2) I want kids to be taught to read and write - and to know right from wrong.

3) I want the big bloated government to actually do something useful and meaningful with all the tax $$ they take from me.

4) I want honesty put back in politics. Tired of the best liars getting all the power.

5) I want God on my mony, in my school, and at my job. Life is hard enough without being forced by the govenment to abandon the Lord because of government polocy. My kid is not allowed to bring her Bible to school and read it. Why is it my nieghbor's kid can read the Bible all he wants in prison.

6) I want the government to fix the roads - with what I pay in gas tax & tolls the roads should be smooth as glass with little gardens planted everywhere their is no pavement.

7) I want justice for all - and a little peace would be nice as well. It would be nice if the government did not spend so much time starting trouble and took care of the good folks who live hear legally and pay taxes.

Is this too much to ask from America? I think we should demand that we get what we are paying for. The taxes are the highest in this country's history - but the quality of life is at the lowest point in modern times. Wake up America!
PHP:

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
m1aman said:
dare you take a stand?
Dare??? :rofl: Like I have'nt taken that dare up here before!!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I'm something else as I heavily side with liberal and conservative views on issue-specific points.

1. For the death penalty
2. Pro-choice
3. Small government
4. No handouts but help up with proof that the system works
5. Amnesty but actually kick out illegals past that date
6. Separation of church and state
7. Stay in Iraq now because it will cause more harm than good even if we were there under suspicious circumstances.

To name a few...

·
Premium Member
92,288 Posts
Your poll is missing some seriously important options:

Aggravated

Confused

Frustrated

Irritated

Annoyed

Disgusted

Anyone else? Feel free to chime in here.... Stop me anytime...

Fed up

Exasperated

Peeved

Incensed

Agitated

Acerbated

Eh, I could go on...but you get the drift.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
You forgot "All of the Above"^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Have you heard of "Ultra Right Winged", Well I'm to the right of that.:bangit:

·
Super Moderator
159,635 Posts
I need the "All of the above" option. I guess as one member has already stated, I'm issue specific.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I am neither Republican nor Democrat and in fact am a registered Independent. Our government is full of bold faced liars and I am convinced that this will not change in our lifetime. When I vote, it is to keep certain people out of office and never to put anyone particular in office.

The reality of our modern democracy is that monumental decisions are made daily behind closed doors and in back alleys around the world. I have seen the dark side of government and have become a realist about what is possible to attain with as bloated a bureaucracy as we have saddled ourselves with.

I am acquainted with the only female CIA field operative to win the distinguished service award and have seen it proudly displayed on her bookcase. This women looks like everybody's favorite aunt, speaks several languages fluently and is very charming indeed. Her home is eclectically decorated with fine arts and crafts amassed while on assignment around the world. She lives in a small town with other operatives who are all guarded discreetly. You could drive by this community and never know you had. the utilities are autonomous and they all have secure rooms if the occasion arises. All visitors and communications are monitored faithfully and the residents have very little true privacy. I have known the operatives daughter for years and photographed her wedding at her mothers home where most of the guests were also field operatives. I felt like the odd man out to say the least. They are a tight knit group and very secretive about most things. I spent 5 hours in the home and tried to get pictures of everyone but some were camera shy and escaped my quick shot prowess. I was able to view the photographs but do not have copies. "Aunt B" is currently on field assignment somewhere in Iraq.

The average American just wants to go on about their merry way, oblivious to the beast we feed with our tax dollars. My point is that our government is run underground and unless you want to march on Washington armed to the teeth, you better get used to it.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/...2/rosemary.htm

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Papa_D said:
I am neither Republican nor Democrat and in fact am a registered Independent. Our government is full of bold faced liars and I am convinced that this will not change in our lifetime. When I vote, it is to keep certain people out of office and never to put anyone particular in office.

The reality of our modern democracy is that monumental decisions are made daily behind closed doors and in back alleys around the world. I have seen the dark side of government and have become a realist about what is possible to attain with as bloated a bureaucracy as we have saddled ourselves with.

I am acquainted with the only female CIA field operative to win the distinguished service award and have seen it proudly displayed on her bookcase. This women looks like everybody's favorite aunt, speaks several languages fluently and is very charming indeed. Her home is eclectically decorated with fine arts and crafts amassed while on assignment around the world. She lives in a small town with other operatives who are all guarded discreetly. You could drive by this community and never know you had. the utilities are autonomous and they all have secure rooms if the occasion arises. All visitors and communications are monitored faithfully and the residents have very little true privacy. I have known the operatives daughter for years and photographed her wedding at her mothers home where most of the guests were also field operatives. I felt like the odd man out to say the least. They are a tight knit group and very secretive about most things. I spent 5 hours in the home and tried to get pictures of everyone but some were camera shy and escaped my quick shot prowess. I was able to view the photographs but do not have copies. "Aunt B" is currently on field assignment somewhere in Iraq.

The average American just wants to go on about their merry way, oblivious to the beast we feed with our tax dollars. My point is that our government is run underground and unless you want to march on Washington armed to the teeth, you better get used to it.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/...2/rosemary.htm
PAPA!! Quit outing all our CIA operatives!!! Between you and Royr we wont have any for long!! :rofl: J/k

I would say I am more conservitave than anything. (du) But I do not vote party. I will vote my beliefs and convictions. If Zell Miller (old school dem.) were to run, well I would be in his camp. I cant quite be in Lebermans camp just because he is a jew. (not being racest here) Its just that the world would see us no matter what we do as VERY bias to Iseral. As if they are not thinking that already. It would make it even worse.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Helinut1970 said:
PAPA!! Quit outing all our CIA operatives!!! Between you and Royr we wont have any for long!! :rofl: J/k

I would say I am more conservitave than anything. (du) But I do not vote party. I will vote my beliefs and convictions. If Zell Miller (old school dem.) were to run, well I would be in his camp. I cant quite be in Lebermans camp just because he is a jew. (not being racest here) Its just that the world would see us no matter what we do as VERY bias to Iseral. As if they are not thinking that already. It would make it even worse.
Trust me, Aunt B is safer than our President because nobody knows where she's at, lol. I swing to the right mostly but am a registered Independent, go figure,lol.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would support Teddy Kennedy************************to be tied up and thrown into waters where sharks are known to exist. Problem is, they would not eat him out of professional courtesy. I guess that makes me right of right.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I noticed Fedthe****Up was not an option. So I went with Moderate. I refuse to be classified on either extreme, they are both so full of trying to get the other removed and blocked they forgot the job they were voted in for. Fire'em all and start over. I vote for the immediate removal of All politicians. Of course I am likely considered a Dom Ter for it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Helinut1970 said:

Hey Heli - I only out Titan Talk Trolls and Dom Ter on US soil! The CIA is safe from my watchful eye - after all - they are (supposed to be) on our side? LOL!

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
guys if you feel your answer is "all of the above" then you fall under the "something else" category. "something else" covers anything not included in the other three.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
I want to buy some votes!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
pappy said there are some things you just don't ask a person...

1. how much money they make
and
2. how they vote

so your answer is, none of your damn business!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts