Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a small collapsible tool box for the T, and i have never had a truck with a tool box. Its not as big as the metal box, so i cant just carry everything in it. What are the essentials?

Its normally not me that needs it, but other motorists i see.

I have these items to carry

12v compressor
jump cables
hand tools (sockets, screwdrivers, plyers, etc)
engine code reader
shop towels
tire plug kit

I plan on getting

tow strap
fix a flat

Give me some ideas! I dont plan on being able to fix everything, but would like to cover the basics.:redblob"

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Test light and duct tape plus a little hand cleaner.

Reactions: beason

·
Registered
979 Posts
I carry alot in my little box

Compressor, bottle jack, factory jack, tow straps, axle straps, 10k pound ratchet straps, tool bag with all sorts of tool, 12v impact gun, come-a-long, egress rope, few pairs of gloves, tow hitch, hitch with shackle, bunges, mini shovel, mag lite. So much more i cant think off.

Its only a 23 gallon bin but it holds alot.

-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
Some good ideas here. :)

I'm like Beason in that most of what I plan to carry will be to serve the purpose of helping other folks out. DMM and gloves I hadn't thought about. Some emergency flashing lights might be a good idea as well.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Test light and duct tape plus a little hand cleaner.
duct tape! i have that! hand cleaner would be nice, like a tub of gojo. I have a multimeter, but may pick up a cheep 12v tester

spare fuses, cheapo DMM, Rescue tape Welcome to Rescue Tape!
what is DMM? that rescue tape is amazing! does it really work that well?

I carry alot in my little box

Compressor, bottle jack, factory jack, tow straps, axle straps, 10k pound ratchet straps, tool bag with all sorts of tool, 12v impact gun, come-a-long, egress rope, few pairs of gloves, tow hitch, hitch with shackle, bunges, mini shovel, mag lite. So much more i cant think off.

Its only a 23 gallon bin but it holds alot.

-Dave

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App
Gloves!! i have some bunges in the side box!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Assortment of tools, compressor, multiple sets of gloves, tow strap, 100' of rope, tire plug kit, rags, and probably a bunch of other stuff.

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
DMM = Digital MultiMeter

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else said :

*Tools (End wrenches, sockets, drivers, gloves, tape etc)
*Jack & a cut 4x4 post to help it out for extra height
*Tow Straps
*Ratchet straps and regular tie downs
*Tire plug kit
*4-way lug wrench
*Compressor
*Jumper cables
*Power inverter
*Slicker suit & rubber boots
All that not counting the countless items I have in every covey hole inside the damn truck. I would run 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 if I cleaned all of that stuff out, but you never know when you will need it. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
You want a tube, not a tub. The lids come off the tub and make a mess.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Being in construction, mine is purpose driven. ~300 craftsman tools, hitachi drill, miter saw, dremmel, sawzall, stanley drywall kit, and the handtools for it all. Then the usual tow strap, tire plug, torque wrench, jumper cables, tie downs, gloves, and duct/electrical tape. Ammo boxes can be your best friend for storage in a toolbox. Bedside compartment has all the towing stuff. My under seat box has all my detailing stuff, extra clothes and old paperwork.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You want a tube, not a tub. The lids come off the tub and make a mess.
good tip!

I have bunges, rubber straps, ratchet straps, receiver with 2 diff balls, and trailer power adapter all in the side box.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
a few of the usual tool, jumper cables,1 gallon water jug,extra clothes and fishing poles just in case i come up on a fishing hole:)

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
Fishing pole. Outstanding! :lol:

Reactions: goodkill365

·
Registered
501 Posts
wd40(good story), bungies cords, tarp, gloves, ax, saw, hammer, gallon of gas(leave it there incase i ever run across someone stranded, hopefully its not a titan ;) ), tow straps, hitch, tire inflator, first aid kit.

went to the ranch the weekend it snowed it texas. pulled up to the gate at 9pm, snow everywhere. lock was frozen over. tried hooking my wifes blow dryer into my outlets, blew all the fuses, tried beating it off, evetyhing i could think of. all my winter cloths are packed in the back, im in short, and t shirt, and tennis shoes for traveling. land resort: ran a mile through the snow then went through the whole process of getting in the house, finally found wd40, ran a mile back to the truck.
long night....long weekend

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
No Fix-A-Flat!!! It will ruin your tire pressure sensors!

Also, I use a couple of old milk crates to hold the loose items. They fit nicely and are easy to lift out if I want to.

·
Super Moderator
161,868 Posts
Fix a flat won't be for my own truck. :lol: It'll be for these beaters that we run across that are broken.

If it's stuck, put some WD-40 on it. If it's loose, duct tape it. Words to live by.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
*Slicker suit & rubber boots
In the winter, I carry a snow mobile suit and snow boots. I have been thinking about getting an extra D-i-c-k-i-e-s coverall for the truck. I have a regular coverall and an insulated coverall for working on vehicles at home and the only recent "work" I have performed on the road consists of handing tools to stranded motorists. But it would be nice to have a coverall if you have to actually work on your own truck. A tube of hand cleaner is an excellent idea, I will definitely get some of that.

Another item that is nice for rescuing others is one of the jump start boxes that can also be used as a light. That way you don't have to risk connecting your own electrical system to whatever nightmare is going on under the other guy's hood. The downside is that you have to remember to keep it charged.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts