Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently wrote on here that my dealer here in Vegas would only give me $500 under MSRP. Well, I've been dealing with a guy in MT too (where my in-laws have a house). Well, this morning I call the guy in MT and he says he'll order me the exact truck I want for $1,530 under MSRP. I gave the guy a deposit via credit card. So I call the dealer here in Vegas and tell him the MT guy's price and he tells me he'll beat it by $500 after a little negotiating. The kicker here is that in MT there is NO SALES TAX if you register the truck there. It's basically saving me over $2,500 in tax to get the truck in MT and register it there. The other reason I went with the guy in MT is that he has never played around with price and always been upfront with me. I figure that even if I get the truck under invoice here, the price still can't beat MT w/no sales tax. What do you guys think? Should I have gone w/the local guy who played games or w/the out-of-state guy who did me right? Sorry for the long tirade. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Depends on how NV is going to treat you bringing a new truck in from out of state.

IF you have no probs keeping it reg in MT then why not? But, being a military guy for so many years, I got some special looking at all the time with outta state plates.

California is a big pain to bring cars in from other states. They want thier piece of the pie!

Chris

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought about that. I plan on registering in MT for the first year only. After that, I can bring it to NV w/no sales tax because it's a "used" vehicle, not a new one. There is no sales tax on used vehicles. Also, it will not be sale of teh vehicle, just a transfer of state. According to my father-in-law, you don't have to pay sales tax after a year because there is no sale. I'm going to have to check it out at DMV to make sure, but it sounds good in theory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like you said, I would definately talk with the DMV of both states. In some states you can't register it there without proof of residency. If you have a NV liscence then they might not let you register it there. If you want a bigger discount then come to NY and I'll help you out.........lol. Typical Salesman right? lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sterling McCall Nissan in Houston has internet special of $3376 off MSRP.
I got my Deepwater KC there about 3 weeks ago with $3000 off MSRP.
Love the truck!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
texastitan said:
Love the truck!!
i called that place and was going to trade my titan in on a le with navigation and found out that they are very limited on what they have and the deal is only on whats on the lot.so i was unable to get what i wanted but if you can find what you want on the lot thats the best deal around. also i was going to go out of state but the dealer i usually deal with is awsome with service dept. i never had a problem and i took that into consideration when buying mine. dont know if that means anything to anyone else but they always treat me like i own the place, its really cool :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
texastitan said:
Love the truck!!
Did you buy an extended warranty, rust proofing, paint protectant, what was your APR? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
smith918 said:
Did you buy an extended warranty, rust proofing, paint protectant, what was your APR? Just curious.
hey smith your smart thats what some people dont realize is that they can and do add charges like paint protection, fabric protection, pinnstriping and other silly little stuff. and you dont even notice that its added on the price. so when they say 3000 off msrp was any of this stuff added. so they can still make money and say 3000 off msrp because they tried that stuff at my dealer and i said :futwice: . so they took that off and i got about 1800 off msrp, but my point is watch for that stuff when you buy. not all dealers add that but every single nissan does in my area.

·
Registered
250 Posts
enos said:
I've thought about that. I plan on registering in MT for the first year only. After that, I can bring it to NV w/no sales tax because it's a "used" vehicle, not a new one. There is no sales tax on used vehicles. Also, it will not be sale of teh vehicle, just a transfer of state. According to my father-in-law, you don't have to pay sales tax after a year because there is no sale. I'm going to have to check it out at DMV to make sure, but it sounds good in theory.
I don't know about Nevada, but I believe in California there is a "use tax" when you bring in an out of state vehicle.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
outahere said:
I don't know about Nevada, but I believe in California there is a "use tax" when you bring in an out of state vehicle.
you are corrct about that i think only on a brand new vehicle

·
Registered
780 Posts
$500 below invoice

got mine $500 below invoice. pm me if you want the salesman keith's number in N. CA.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys. I got the scoop from the NV DMV (and it will be in writing later this week) that if you transfer a vehicle more than a year old from another state to NV, then there is no sales tax on that vehicle. So, in other words, I won't have to pay any sales tax if I buy the truck in MT, keep it there a year (in title and registration only, not physically of course), then register it here in NV after that first year expires. As far as getting around having a MT license, I'm going to add my father-in-law to the title and register it under his name in MT for that first year. That will take care the me being from out-of-state and it'll save me over $2,600 in sales tax. I figured that I'd have to get the truck about $1,000 UNDER invoice in NV (or any other state w/sales tax) in order to pay the same amount I'll get it in MT. The funny thing is I got a call from teh local dealer here in NV again today and he said he'd give me $2,850 off MSRP if I went w/him now. This is the same guy who would only give me $500 off MSRP on Saturday afternoon. So those of you who are looking, you can deal if you're willing to walk and/or be patient. BTW, if anyone wants a loaded LE (except for sunroof, Nav., and DVD) let me know since that's what the guy here already had on order for me. It's coming, so maybe he'll deal with you too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tbeecher,
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing too many tax returns, so I better watch what I say. I figure I pay my fair share as is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
smith918 said:
Did not get extended warranty or any other stuff. Got 3000 of MSRP and
out the door. Found what I wanted/needed on the lot. 2wd, KC SE, captains chairs/center console, 6 changer CD, bed insert, floor mats, splashguards. APR under 4%.

·
Registered
470 Posts
enos said:

Watch out for Montana. The money they don't collect from sales tax, they make up for with the price of a tag and state income tax. I was there in military about 15 years ago and people were paying hundreds, even thousands, yearly for tags. You can also be hit for income tax for registering and tagging the truck there.

Also I would watch out for having a shared title. Could cost you additional fees and paperwork to get relative off title later, both in MT and NV.

Watch out!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts