Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was my first time towing in the Titan. The truck has amazing power and the fuel economy was better than I had expected. I had been reading about getting <10 mpg, but I averaged 11.2 on my trip.

I'm towing my Z06 down to Road Atlanta to race this weekend. Car on the trailer is 5000-5100lbs and the truck is packed with tools, supplies, fuel jugs, etc. etc.

I drove 8-10 over the whole way which meant 65 down 58 until I hit 85, then 74-79 depending on the speed limit. Kept it in D using tow/haul mode on the interstate, but put turned OD off for some of the hilly sections on 58.

~Brian

·
Super Moderator
161,019 Posts
I tow what you see in my sig. 29 feet at about 6500 pounds loaded. Mileage anywhere from 5 to 10 mpg, depending on wind, hills, etc.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I wish i could chime in with my trailer and toy car as my truck and load is nearly identical to yours, but I havent monitored it....my track events aren't too far for me to get an accurate number..

Will definitely post when i do tow the car to a farther event..
-J

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
rig in sig, about 10mpg

·
Registered
512 Posts
sorry for the bad pic....18' Weekend Warrior toy hauler. figure 6500 lbs loaded. 65 to 70 mph I get about 10mpg.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I tow a 32 ft TT. About 7K lbs loaded. Seen anywhere from 7.5 to 9.5 MPG. Average is right around 8.5. Haven't run into any bad headwinds or serious hills yet.

·
Super Moderator
161,019 Posts
I tow a 32 ft TT. About 7K lbs loaded. Seen anywhere from 7.5 to 9.5 MPG. Average is right around 8.5. Haven't run into any bad headwinds or serious hills yet.
That's about what I average on mostly level roads with no wind to battle. The headwinds and hills are the killers. I pushed a very strong headwind on a short 100 mile tow once and I was down at just slightly over 5 mpg. I just had to laugh watching the gas gauge. :lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
i towed my camper loaded about 8500 lbs 1500 miles from se ky to southern ga and back
we averaged about 8.5 mpg
better in southern ga and worse up in the mtns
i was happy with the titan mileage towing that much

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
We also have the larger tank which is great! And the longer wheelbase is FAR better than the shorter wheelbase for sway and control.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i towed a little 12' uhaul trailer that weighed 3500lbs loaded about 150miles total, on 89 octane, in traffic and mountains, and got 15.5mpg. thought that was pretty decent even though it was a light load

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well I get 11.5 mpg around town and 13 if i'm lucky on the freeway, I don't even want to know what I get when I'm towing my 18 ft ski boat...

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I tow an open car hauler.
16.5 empty at the speed limits.
13.5 haulinass. Once in awhile I have to deadhead in and out of AZ empty.

14.5 with 2000 pounds loaded on.
13.5 with 3000 pounds loaded on.

And 10 on the last trip with massive headwinds and no real idea how much was loaded on, but I know it was a lot more than the usual.

My all aluminum, chain driven, twin cam V8 rawks nicely.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back... averaged 11.1 mpg... towed 75-80.... used 4th in the hilly areas, and left it in 5th when flatter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I get 10 towing my open car trailer with my toyota pickup on it, with lots of hills. I never get around to weighing it, guessing around 5k.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tow my '06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS all over the place! Weighs about 8000# loaded with about 900# tongue weight. I use the Equal-i-zer hitch and Prodigy controller. (Great items BTW!)
In the flats, I get about 10mpg. In the hills, where we seem to go quite a bit, I will get about 7-9 depending on terrain. I did pound it down to 4mpg a few times, once going to Mt. Rushmore fighting serious head winds the entire way, and the other going up the west side of Rabbit Ears Pass!
Right now, unloaded, I am getting 14-15 back and forth to work in mixed traffic. That is down a bit, probably due to my new Cooper Tires. Oh well!

-Lab

·
Premium Member
75,181 Posts
2004 4wd non-big tow. 6x12 with a 400# quad and camping gear. A load of firewood in the bed. I left the truck in 4th using tow mode. I'd say I was averaging around 9MPG with the load of wood and increased to 11-12 with the bed empty. I have a CAI, Cat back, and 2*.

I never move this over a mile nor over 35 MPH:

I'd hate to see the fuel bill.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
58,380 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an '04 Big Tow. I pulled a 16' boat with my bed full through the Rocky Mtns of Canada. With 94 octane Husky gas, I averaged 15 mpg. However, since I can't get 94 octane in Alaska, I average 8-10 mpg pulling my 5th Wheel...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts