Nissan Titan Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 2884 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
@Roger Deephouse can I strongly suggest some safety chains on that rig, and perhaps shorten up the harness so the wire doesn't drag every time you hit a bump?

Other than that, it looks like a very capable combo.
[/QUO
  1. thanks for the comits ive used this tow setup for just about 10yr as I do food plots for folks have towed furthest couple hundred mile one way and push up to an over the 10grand loaded wt including trailer at times and my 07 never complained with Timbren overload rubbers. going with air bags this time around

·
Registered
147 Posts
  1. Solder that's half the trick to hauling makes all the diff on how much toung wt. by moving the tractor further up or on trailer increase toung wt. futher back less toung wt. depends on the tow rig weather it likes it one way or the other and just a few inches eather way can make a diff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea I seen that you put most the weight over the axles but you also got enough tongue weight to keep the trailer from bouncing around. I guess that's what I have to look forward to is having this nice towing machine. I plan to see what the limits are of my truck, eventually. As I gain experience with the smaller loads first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put air lift bags on and the air lift kit provides all fasteners , A L calls for self tapping screws to mount upper bracket to the frame, not worth a crap self tapping screws are junk they all pulled out on the passanger side, good thing I had them installed not my head ake

·
Registered
2019 Titan PRO-4X
46 Posts
I tow trailers up muddy hills for little Chevy's that couldn't. A video of that would have been nice to have. It was a hoot!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I tow a 2011 Jayco JayFlight 26 RLS (30' from tongue to bumper) with my 2010 Titan SE. It's about 6700 lb dry and 8000 wet. When I'm going up a long 6% grade on a 100 degree day, I have to drop down to lower gears to avoid overheating the transmission. The photo was taken at Lake Pleasant, AZ, just about 12 miles north of where I live.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
That's a bit too much for our trucks. TT's typically have a 12% tongue weight and as much as 15% if you travel with a full water tank. 12% of 8000lb is 960lbs my 2018 has a max tongue weight of 920lbs. And my payload per the door decal which shows tire pressures and payload capacity is only 1322lbs. If you have a 960lb TW and a 80lb WDH that only leaves you 280lbs for people and cargo. And that before you add bigger tires, lift kit, or heavy camper shell or tool box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a bit too much for our trucks. TT's typically have a 12% tongue weight and as much as 15% if you travel with a full water tank. 12% of 8000lb is 960lbs my 2018 has a max tongue weight of 920lbs. And my payload per the door decal which shows tire pressures and payload capacity is only 1322lbs. If you have a 960lb TW and a 80lb WDH that only leaves you 280lbs for people and cargo. And that before you add bigger tires, lift kit, or heavy camper shell or tool box.
It’s on the high side, agreed, but I generally travel without any liquids on board, and don’t use oversized tires or a 250 lb toolbox. On top of that, I believe Nissan is conservative with their specs.

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
My TT is ~ 8000lbs loaded and I do just fine and have been on the scales to prove out all the weights. That Jayflight is just fine. Double check your hitch and you should have no issues.

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
My TT is ~ 8000lbs loaded and I do just fine and have been on the scales to prove out all the weights. That Jayflight is just fine. Double check your hitch and you should have no issues.
On second look that is not a big tow, are you 4WD? If yes, then my assessment still stands if not, check your gearing and you could be on the edge of over pulling.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
The problem is too many people don't know what they are talking about. I didn't understand the importance of all the numbers until joining a group on FB for my travel trailer brand. Telling them they won't have any issues, is like saying I drive 100mph and haven't had a accident, you'll be fine. It's only a matter of time towing over your trucks GVWR or RAWR or payload will have consequences. I towed 2000mi round trip about 400-500lb over payload and 300lb over my RAWR, I didn't have any issues at all. But after weighting the set-up and discovering this issue we aren't comfortable, I'll be getting a 3/4 ton when we can afford to. Knowing what I know now I'd shop for TT's with a GVWR of 6500lb or even less would be smarter using a non XD-Titan.

Reactions: TXLeeVee
2841 - 2860 of 2884 Posts