Nissan Titan Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 2884 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
The problem is too many people don't know what they are talking about. I didn't understand the importance of all the numbers until joining a group on FB for my travel trailer brand. Telling them they won't have any issues, is like saying I drive 100mph and haven't had a accident, you'll be fine. It's only a matter of time towing over your trucks GVWR or RAWR or payload will have consequences. I towed 2000mi round trip about 400-500lb over payload and 300lb over my RAWR, I didn't have any issues at all. But after weighting the set-up and discovering this issue we aren't comfortable, I'll be getting a 3/4 ton when we can afford to. Knowing what I know now I'd shop for TT's with a GVWR of 6500lb or even less would be smarter using a non XD-Titan.
So, I have been towing stuff around probable longer then you have been alive. My current truck has ~ 70,000 miles towing something. My Rig had over a million and previous trucks had hundreds of thousands of miles. So now that we have my experience out of the way. OK, sure, you can have the perfect setup and still make a bone headed move and kill your truck, or family. But we are talking extreme cases. Anyway.

Now slyfur1, you seem so **** sure that you are right not even knowing how the rig is setup or even about the truck. Face it, you are trying to be a know it all behind your keyboard.

Hey Miles777, this is just 2 guys that have not looked at your rig or weights. If you want to come over I will take a real look, but to me, everything you are showing at this point looks normal from my vantage point. I also have the tools and equipment to make adjustments if needed. I have done this for others a few times and I am always willing to help for a safe setup. For now, if you are not sure and want help take some pictures and I will give my thoughts.

Reactions: bigsylvia

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
So, I have been towing stuff around probable longer then you have been alive. My current truck has ~ 70,000 miles towing something. My Rig had over a million and previous trucks had hundreds of thousands of miles. So now that we have my experience out of the way. OK, sure, you can have the perfect setup and still make a bone headed move and kill your truck, or family. But we are talking extreme cases. Anyway.

Now slyfur1, you seem so **** sure that you are right not even knowing how the rig is setup or even about the truck. Face it, you are trying to be a know it all behind your keyboard.

Hey Miles777, this is just 2 guys that have not looked at your rig or weights. If you want to come over I will take a real look, but to me, everything you are showing at this point looks normal from my vantage point. I also have the tools and equipment to make adjustments if needed. I have done this for others a few times and I am always willing to help for a safe setup. For now, if you are not sure and want help take some pictures and I will give my thoughts.
You're so pleasant. Facts are facts, numbers don't lie, call me what you want. I know how much tongue weight puts these 4x4 Titans over their numbers (with just 2 average 50yr olds) riding in the truck. It's not rocket science, do what you want, I'm not going to argue with you. I'll be well below my numbers with a properly equipped 3/4 ton. There's far too many new owners of TT's pulling them with SUV's or 1/2 tons that are way over their limits and don't have any experience. Because the RV dealers and manufactures are very mis-leading listing empty tongue weights verse real world tongue weights. And the RV sales person sure isn't going to tell you can't/shouldn't tow a certain model, they what the commission of the sale.
Have a nice Fathers Day Rob

Reactions: FlawleZ

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
Yes I am... So what numbers are you talking about? He only told you what he thinks the TT weigh is. However, there was no weight slip from an actual weigh station. Do you have that TT maybe, and know for a fact that the weight is 15% to 20% tongue weight and not the normal 8%-10%? Or maybe you are thinking 5th wheel numbers? Not sure where you get your facts, but maybe Factbook will help you with that, agian.

I have see 4500lbs trailers setup and loaded wrong.
I have seen 9500lbs trailer setup correctly and are within the GVWR.

Enjoy your facts and Happy Fathers Day to you, from one old fart to another ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
The problem is too many people don't know what they are talking about. I didn't understand the importance of all the numbers until joining a group on FB for my travel trailer brand. Telling them they won't have any issues, is like saying I drive 100mph and haven't had a accident, you'll be fine. It's only a matter of time towing over your trucks GVWR or RAWR or payload will have consequences. I towed 2000mi round trip about 400-500lb over payload and 300lb over my RAWR, I didn't have any issues at all. But after weighting the set-up and discovering this issue we aren't comfortable, I'll be getting a 3/4 ton when we can afford to. Knowing what I know now I'd shop for TT's with a GVWR of 6500lb or even less would be smarter using a non XD-Titan.
WORRIE TO MUCH JUST REMEMBER ITS NOT A CAR RACE TAKE YOUR TIME RESPECT YOUR TRUCK I NEVER LET MINE TAC. OVER 3500 SO I BABY MINE BUT DOES NOT DETER ME FROM HAULING HEAVY OR MAX , ITS NOT A CAR ITS A TRUCK !

·
Registered
68 Posts
didn't like it to much but it pulled it! still looking for people with info on gear change and other mods I need! just pm me with info!!! really don't want to sell truck !!!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
didn't like it to much but it pulled it! still looking for people with info on gear change and other mods I need! just pm me with info!!! really don't want to sell truck !!!!!!
What's that trailer and sxs weigh? Gotta be pushing 8K loaded. You have the big tow Titan?

·
Registered
68 Posts
does anyone know who can reflash ecu for gear change! I called up rev and they don't! anyone else??? and say I do the re gear without reflash what would it not run right? I know cruze wont work but what else? I know some has done it just cant find the info!

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
It's not just gearing that you need. In the picture, you appear to be over loaded and I bet if you check the weight at the pin it's going to be much higher than you think. If you are not over weight, the way you have it setup, is very wrong. Get that thing level, along with your truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know I need to pull the rzr back about 3-4' and I think that will lighten the pin by allot. and were not gona gas up or fill water till we get real close to wher we want to camp . so im sure that will help a bit! theres not that much stuff we take only me and wife and food for two days at the most . like I said im not really wanting to sel the truck but if I have to I have to! pretty much where im at is all pretty much flat pulls no big hills! mainly up to lone pine bishop ext!

·
Super Moderator
36,990 Posts
So I Answered your PM ... Lets take this to a new thread if you want. We are dragging this off topic.

Also you need 8% - 12% on the pin for a safe load. To light and you will loose control in a hard brake. To heavy and you will fishtail.

Reactions: airtime grafix

·
Registered
160 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2009 Nissan Titan LE 4WD
20 Posts
Tow a couple things but this is the most recent that I have been towing a lot. With a little over 100,000 mile on the truck. Ride-Rite Air Bags and an Anderson No-Sway Weight Distribution Hitch. Rides nice.
IMG_20200707_203117_022.jpg

·
Registered
147 Posts
I CAN TOW HEAVY WITH MY PRO4X AND NOT AFFRAID TO DO SO , this is my second titan (1) was 07 with over 150k towed heavy miles , (2) 2012 prox 50k towing heavy , and all these % enough to drive ya crazy and I am not saying loader up youll be fine im say IF properly set up and comin sence it can be done

·
Registered
10 Posts

I pull a 31 ft Palimino Puma. It’s probably about 7500 pounds . 2017 XD S with the diesel. The only thing that stinks are the clip on mirrors. Since the S doesn’t have power mirrors I don’t think you can install the factory tow mirrors. Someone convince me I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2861 - 2880 of 2884 Posts