Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Titan 4x4 LE CC AT with Tow Package. I am pulling a 6700 lb 28 ft TT. When towing I have the tow mode turned on, but am wondering do I leave it Drive or drop it to 4?

Thanks an advance for your help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Personally, I would leave it out of overdrive (5th). With that kind of load, there are no benefits to being in overdrive, and more stress on the transmission if it is shifting back and forth. If transmission temps get high, I would definitely drop down a gear as well, even to 3rd.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Curmudgeon said:
Personally, I would leave it out of overdrive (5th). With that kind of load, there are no benefits to being in overdrive, and more stress on the transmission if it is shifting back and forth. If transmission temps get high, I would definitely drop down a gear as well, even to 3rd.
Yep, that's how I would read it as well.

·
Super Moderator
159,635 Posts
I don't think the manual is going to say anything about the difference. It might, but I dunno. I think they dropped calling it big tow on the '07 models, and if I'm right about that, they're one and the same.

Also, I don't think that our 5th gear is an overdrive, but no matter as I tow in 4th.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Also, I don't think that our 5th gear is an overdrive, but no matter as I tow in 4th.
50/50....wrong and right...Fifth gear is overdrive(.834) and with a heavier load yes do tow in 4th gear.

·
Super Moderator
159,635 Posts
loufish said:
50/50....wrong and right...Fifth gear is overdrive(.834) and with a heavier load yes do tow in 4th gear.
Good to know. Hey, better than all wrong. :D

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
50/50....better odds then Vegas!
You'll enjoy towing with Titan....By the way when you hit the bigger hills, just downshift to 3rd by yourself and don't worry about the rpm's running 3500-3800 it will run there all day if need to.

·
Registered
779 Posts
just like the others said...tow in 4th and use 3rd up big hills to stop the excessive shifting. I tow at 65 mph on the interstate and in 4th gear the rpms are 2200, right at the sweet spot and the converter stays locked.

·
Registered
844 Posts
So if I'm towing a pop up that will, at most, weigh 3,000 lbs, can I tow in 5th to save gas, or should I always drop it to 4th?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
BLBJBranch said:
So if I'm towing a pop up that will, at most, weigh 3,000 lbs, can I tow in 5th to save gas, or should I always drop it to 4th?

Thanks.
You should be OK if you are on flat land and do not have the truck loaded to the max....Try it and watch the temp. gauge....If it starts to rise any drop it into 4th......Happy towing...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I do tow a P/U loaded to about 2800-2900 lbs and 1-2 full size dirt bikes in the bed.
Flat ground, no headwind, about 65 mph...I tow in 5th gear like that all day...with cruise control on.

Small hills, I'll drop it down to 4th before it trys to downshift by it's own, on bigger hills I'll drop it down to
3rd and kill the CC...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use 4th and tow mode on.

I just got 12mpg towing a ~6Klb total load and doing 70mph most of the way and that included some hills and some major crosswinds.

Not bad considering.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agree with Learjet...stay in 4th. I pulled a 7500 lb 5'ver with the tow on and in 4th gear. The RPM's at about 60 to 65 mph where in the 2200 range. 10.2 MPG with excellent response. Previously I pulled a 5000 lb. TT. With that I tried both tow on and off. In 5th gear with tow off my mpg dropped to 9...also noticed that the Trans Temp. gauge floated up some. My new rig has no deviation in engine or tranny temp. in tow mode...same as if not pulling anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Nissan titan when I`m towing in 4th gear not over drive the rpm are jumping back and forward and I`m also in towing mode, can I drive in 3th gear on the freeway? I`m pulling a big long travel trailer

·
Super Moderator
159,635 Posts
You can, but your speed will be limited. It's really going to rev up in third, which is fine by itself. The engine can be happy in the upper revs, but if you can stay in 4th you'd be better off. The only reason I'd go down to third is if your transmission temp starts to creep up with the torque converter unlocking in 4th. Otherwise, let it do it's thing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts