Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In pricing new Titans I see it as an option in addition to XE SE LE

4x4 King Cab SE w/FFV SC, SE, NC & MA Regions

·
Registered
457 Posts
There's a site that you can type in your zip or click your state and it will show you where the closest stations are. There aren't very many around. Most are not available to the public. Google ethanol or e85 stations.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A couple of sites to find stations selling E85

http://gasprices.mapquest.com/

http://www.e85refueling.com/

The price will need to be about 20% less to break even with the loss in gas mileage. This percentage is pretty consistant with what other members have reported as a break even number.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
FFV seems to be offered by companies to get the gov't off their azzes. It's really useless for most of us who have no E85 stations around, and too expensive for those who do.
This sums it up perfectly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FFV is a bunch of governmental horsepucky. It has been put very well in all of these replys. E85 is a tree huggers idea but if you do any research they did it successfully in Brazil I do belive(somewhere in South America). When the oil cruch hit in the 70's Brazil took notice and made a country wide pursuit to break away from its dependcy on oil. It has been aggressivley pursued and is widely avaliable bring the cost way down making it possibly woth the weaker gas mileage. So until America is weened off of gasoline/oil E85 is nothing more than a token gesture just like the Hybrids. If you like speed or have the need to haul a moderen gasoline vehicle is the way to go. So like others have said you pay a little less and get a whole lot less so the savings are negated. LOL....I own a boat (70 GAL), a Titan (28 GAL), a jet-ski (15 GAL), a Ford Ranger (15 GAL) and Ford Explorer (24 GAL)...I like My gasoline!!!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
One of the big reasons we are paying higher prices at the pump is because of ethanol.

Ethanol — grain alcohol made mainly from corn in the USA — is being promoted by the auto and ethanol industries and the government as a substitute for gasoline, usually in a mix called E85 that is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

But the comments Wednesday at the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee underlined how distant a goal that is. The hearing wasn't even about a goal as ambitious as E85. It was to discuss ethanol as a substitute for MTBE, a clean-air additive in gasoline. Replacing it with ethanol would require only about 8% as much ethanol as E85 requires.

Refiners have used MTBE for years and now are discontinuing it because MTBE can taint water supplies and Congress has refused to protect them from MTBE lawsuits. Ethanol is the only ready substitute.

Dinneen pointed out that 33 ethanol plants are under construction and that some of the 97 others already producing are being expanded.

Ethanol mainly is made in the Midwest. But demand should be heaviest in the Northeast and Texas because of special clean-air fuel requirements there. Shipping alcohol costs more and takes longer because ethanol attaches to any moisture present and could contaminate petroleum pipelines — the cheap, fast way to ship.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if you put E85 in your vehicle you are paying more, getting less performance, but reducing our dependency on oil?

·
Super Moderator
159,630 Posts
APGC said:
So if you put E85 in your vehicle you are paying more, getting less performance, but reducing our dependency on oil?
In a nutshell, it would seem you are correct.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I guess the next question is what is the difference between an FFV equipped vehicle and a non?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
pretty much the entire fuel system

Ethanol eats away regular fuel lines so the lines are all different along with the fuel injectors and programming to go with it...

Next question...can you convert a non-FFV to FFV?
Not unless you want to spend a whole lot of money...none of which will ever be recaptured in the vehicle's lifetime

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So would the parts in an FFV vehicle be "better" than a non? Is there any other advantage to having an FFV vs non?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
There is no extra cost with purchasing a FFV Titan vs. non-FFV.
I'd say buy it if they are available in your area. Having one still allows you to use regular gas but in the event you are somewhere that offers E85, you can fill up if the pricing is right.

I don't know that the components are necessarily "better" but they are engineered to prevent corrosion and to prevent moisture absorption from the highly water absorbing (aka dries out rubber) ethanol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts