Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Nissan Titan LE withe the tow package (temp gauge,mirrors,trans cooler,hitch, tow button) The question is what is the big tow package?

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
The big tow package includes tranny temp gauge, larger mirrors, bigger battery, hitch, wiring, and most importantly different gears.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I think Nissan called it different things over the years. You can see all the options for each year at nissanhelp.com

Also, I think everybody has the tranny cooler.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
and all Titans have the Tow button, Big Tow also comes with prewiring for trailer brake controller.

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
I have a 2008 Nissan Titan LE withe the tow package (temp gauge,mirrors,trans cooler,hitch, tow button) The question is what is the big tow package?
Are you asking what the difference is between the tow package and the big tow package? If so there is no difference. I don't believe Nissan ever called the tow package "big tow". AFAIK "big tow" is a term that is incorrectly used on TT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If so there is no difference. I don't believe Nissan ever called the tow package "big tow". AFAIK "big tow" is a term that is incorrectly used on TT.
That is not true. The "Big Tow Package" as labeled and itemized on my sticker is:
  • Increased Towing Capacity
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch with 7-Pin Wiring Harness
  • Extendable Tow Mirrors, Heavy Duty Battery (710 CCA)
  • Lower Final Axle Ratio, Transmission Temp Gauge
  • Vehicle Dynamic Control

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58,732 Posts
That is not true. The "Big Tow Package" as labeled and itemized on my sticker is:
  • Increased Towing Capacity
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch with 7-Pin Wiring Harness
  • Extendable Tow Mirrors, Heavy Duty Battery (710 CCA)
  • Lower Final Axle Ratio, Transmission Temp Gauge
  • Vehicle Dynamic Control
Obviously Nissan made some changes with the VDC and the packages it came with. My 06 had the tow package but did not have VDC. My 11 has the tow package (now called the max utility package), VDC is not part of that package either.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Now this is just confusing!:bangit:
My 2011 4x4 SV with the SV Value Pkg did not have any sticker listing for a 'special' tow package. The truck does have the trans cooler, the VDC and TOW buttons, 710 cca battery, hitch w/ 7-pin connection, and wired for a trailer brake controller.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Now this is just confusing!:bangit:
My 2011 4x4 SV with the SV Value Pkg did not have any sticker listing for a 'special' tow package. The truck does have the trans cooler, the VDC and TOW buttons, 710 cca battery, hitch w/ 7-pin connection, and wired for a trailer brake controller.
The things you listed (hitch with wiring}are part of that value package. To the get the tow package you would also need the max utility package.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you have the big mirrors you have the big tow package and lower gear ratio. That is if you bought it new. If its used someone could have swapped them out.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
my 04 T does not have the mirrors, trans temp gauge, hitch, VDC or the heavy duty battery. But, it does have the 3.36 gear ratio. Does anyone know if the 04's came prewired for the trans temp gauge??? It would be nice to add a gauge and tap in to those wires.

Also, when I look at the manual for the towing capacity I should use the heavier capacity since I have the higher towing gears??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
The things you listed are part of that value package. To the get the tow package you would also need the max utility package.
Actually, I believe that (from the things which I listed) only the hitch and the wiring were added as part of the SV Value Pkg.

I'm not familiar with a Max Utility Pkg - would that be the same as the Premium Utility Pkg - only for earlier models? The Nissan site shows that by adding the Premium Pkg, basically only the lower gearing is added (as a towing benefit anyway) over what the SV Value Pkg. adds.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
my 04 T does not have the mirrors, trans temp gauge, hitch, VDC or the heavy duty battery. But, it does have the 3.36 gear ratio. Does anyone know if the 04's came prewired for the trans temp gauge??? It would be nice to add a gauge and tap in to those wires.

Also, when I look at the manual for the towing capacity I should use the heavier capacity since I have the higher towing gears??

Thanks!!

In older Titans, the off road package came with the same gears as the tow package. I am guessing you have the off-road package based on your sig pic.

Offtopic: Remember when you could get the off-road package on a 2wd!!?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Actually, I believe that (from the things which I listed) only the hitch and the wiring were added as part of the SV Value Pkg.

I'm not familiar with a Max Utility Pkg - would that be the same as the Premium Utility Pkg - only for earlier models? The Nissan site shows that by adding the Premium Pkg, basically only the lower gearing is added (as a towing benefit anyway) over what the SV Value Pkg. adds.
I did not think you needed me to state that the hitch and wiring only are part of the SV value package but I will go edit my post for you. -also all titans have TOW button and trans cooler. I said to have the tow package you need to add max utility, which is now called someting else, again you seem to know this. this will get you the lower gear ratio. for max towing.

I am typing what it says off of nissanusa.com for 2012 titan - premium utility ,it adds lower gears, tow mirrors and 710 CCA standard on FFV models.

with out the added package you have a titan with a hitch.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did not think you needed me to state that the hitch and wiring only are part of the SV value package but I will go edit my post for you. -also all titans have TOW button and trans cooler. I said to have the tow package you need to add max utility, which is now called someting else, again you seem to know this. this will get you the lower gear ratio. for max towing.

I am typing what it says off of nissanusa.com for 2012 titan - premium utility ,it adds lower gears, tow mirrors and 710 CCA standard on FFV models.

with out the added package you have a titan with a hitch.
Well, excuse me - I was only asking - and trying to understand two eras of package terminology. :readclose Smart a$$.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well, excuse me - I was only asking - and trying to understand two eras of package terminology. :readclose Smart a$$.
Got any vids/pics of your 79 K5? Sounds like a beast.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^ ^ ^ ^ Yes I do - but unfortunately none of the stills or video are digital!!! Somewhere on a long list of things I've gotta do is to convert the stuff over.:Warp: I will post once that happens :)

Reactions: ostaF

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok everyone,
I have an 05 LE with everything listed as items needed to be called the big tow package, so assuming I have the big tow package. Does anyone use a load equalizing hitch? I just purchased a 29ft shasta, 29ft including the hitch.. Dry weight is roughly 6500lbs and loaded it could go as high as 9300lbs. The tongue weight is upwards of 700lbs... Just wondering if its a worthwhile investment...
thanks for any info

1 - 20 of 40 Posts