Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know which shocks my 2005 Titan XE has or whether it even has the oem or aftermarket ones. It is stiff. I don't like it at all. Was wondering if you guys could advise me on which shock to get to have a softer car-like comfortable ride. Don't tow or haul. Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Only two that I know of, Monroe Sensa-trac, and Ranch rs9000 (set on the softer side). I've had the ranchos on my last titan, they rode very well, but the quality control is iffy. I will go with the Monroe's this time around. I spend 2-3 hours a day in my truck for work, I would like it to be as smooth as possible.

·
Premium Member
20,661 Posts
The SAW (Sway-a-way) shocks I have are adjustable in that you can raise or lower the pressure in them. I believe they are filled with Nitrogen (could be wrong on this) and adjusting the pressure is a bit tricky. Even checking the pressure is tricky. I've hear that if you go to a motorcycle shop they can do the adjustment and check the pressure.

Another option is to remove the front sway bar. That will soften the ride some at the expense of body roll.

Are you running LT tires? Or maybe too much pressure in the tires?

A mushy ride may be an unsafe ride as it could allow for more body roll which could destabilize your Titan in an emergency manuever.

Reactions: cancer_researcher

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Many many years ago, I would only use Gabriel shocks. I have no idea if they still are an excellent shock absorber.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The SAW (Sway-a-way) shocks I have are adjustable in that you can raise or lower the pressure in them. I believe they are filled with Nitrogen (could be wrong on this) and adjusting the pressure is a bit tricky. Even checking the pressure is tricky. I've hear that if you go to a motorcycle shop they can do the adjustment and check the pressure.

Another option is to remove the front sway bar. That will soften the ride some at the expense of body roll.

Are you running LT tires? Or maybe too much pressure in the tires?

A mushy ride may be an unsafe ride as it could allow for more body roll which could destabilize your Titan in an emergency manuever.
I have ADR Design 22" wheels with Kumho Ecsta STX 305/40/22 114V. Pressure is about 34 psi each. Would love to trade down to 18" or so with meaty tires.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/buy...our-smaller-size-meaty-tires.html#post2268362

I'm also starting to hear squeaks from the right front suspension when I go over bumps. Are there any areas that need to be lubed?

·
Premium Member
20,661 Posts
Moving to a tire with a taller sidewall will help as you pointed out. There are no lubrication points (zirk fittings) to address. There is a TSB on the sway bar bushings being the source of squeaking.

·
Premium Member
20,661 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,661 Posts
So TSB is not necessarily a free service? Right?
Right. It's more of a way for Nissan Corporate to let the dealers know how to fix stuff. That said, the TSB we're talking about does provide a charge code for the dealer. So it sounds like it might get done at no cost, but usually only if you're under warranty. However, the TSB covers '04 to '10 Titans and there is no way the earlier models are still under warranty.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I don't know which shocks my 2005 Titan XE has or whether it even has the oem or aftermarket ones. It is stiff. I don't like it at all. Was wondering if you guys could advise me on which shock to get to have a softer car-like comfortable ride. Don't tow or haul. Thanks
If they're the OEM struts and shocks, they're toast. According to PRG they have cellular foam inside to keep the oil in place instead of nitrogen, and it starts breaking down almost immediately.

Without nitrogen pressure, air bubbles mix into the oil and it has much less damping capability. About a year ago he showed my son and me a demo shock with a window where we could see a bunch of tiny air bubbles in the oil. He added high pressure air into the Schrader valve and the oil became totally clear instantaneously.

So even, "firm" quality shocks would be a major improvement to your ride if you have stock struts and shocks that are more than probably 10K miles/1 year old. Look at Bilstein HD Struts and Icon rears from PRGproducts.com. I'm running that combination currently and they are great riding and have excellent handling.

Getting rid of the 22' is going to help too, and try to get a D load rated tire in an LT, instead of an E load rated, or a Passenger rated tire like a P285/ instead of the LT285/ unless you plan to tow, off road hard, or drive curves where some prefer a stiffer sidewall.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If they're the OEM struts and shocks, they're toast. According to PRG they have cellular foam inside to keep the oil in place instead of nitrogen, and it starts breaking down almost immediately.

Without nitrogen pressure, air bubbles mix into the oil and it has much less damping capability. About a year ago he showed my son and me a demo shock with a window where we could see a bunch of tiny air bubbles in the oil. He added high pressure air into the Schrader valve and the oil became totally clear instantaneously.
Very interesting. I knew they were short lived junk, now I know why!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts