Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not really sure when this started, as I drive with the windows up most of the year. Last October I started riding with my windows down and as I was driving down this rough paved road I heard this horrific noise coming from the front end.

I had just recently had tires and brakes done, so I took it back to the shop thinking that they had something to do with it, and after 4 hours of trying to diagnose, they had no answers. I don't want to take it into the dealer until I've tried everything myself as I am out of warranty (47,000 miles). So, I'm hoping some of you guys might have an idea of what I should look at.

I've crawled underneath there and see nothing. It's not the skid plate- I've ruled that out already. I had the tire shop check to make sure I had the right pads in there, and to check the calipers. They ensured me everything is fine. I was thinking struts, but both sides shot at the same time? ANY IDEAS?
  • Only occurs when I drive over chatter bumps at normal speed
  • No noise over speed bumps or other slow type bumps
  • If I drag the brakes slightly over the same bumps it disappears
  • The noise comes from either side, depends on which side of the road has the chatter bumps.

YouTube - Unknown front end noise on my 2008 Titan

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Pretty sure that is the pads wallowing around in the caliper.
If they were too tight, you would be eating pads and rotors. Pads are supposed to float in there.
My truck was noticeable when it was new but haven't noticed it in years.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Do you have a leveling kit in the front? Sounds like the struts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
negative....no leveling kit.

I was thinking struts as well...but but started second guessing that thought...I would think one might go bad, but both at the same time? and only 42,000 miles when it started

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I had one bad strut on mine at about 60k. I heard a clunking sound going over speed bumps but I also had a PRG spacer. I can't say for sure if it was the spacer or the right strut or combination but everything went away when I ditched the spacer and replaced the struts with 5100's. My ride is firmer now and it feels more like a truck than it did brand new. Some people hate the 5100's ride quality but I like it.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Do you have a leveling kit in the front? Sounds like the struts.
Nope its not the strut i have the same problem and i already have switch 3 coilovers and now know it ain't the coils or struts.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Hey 450xDaD thanks for letting me know on my thread you have the same problem as i am. And i do to have notice that if i hit the brake a bit soft it wont rattle. And it only happens when i go over rough roads no bumps just bad roads or pot holes. I need to take my truck this week so they can check it cause after i put new brakes and rotors it didnt do it for a week or so now its back so maybe something gets loose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey 450xDaD thanks for letting me know on my thread you have the same problem as i am. And i do to have notice that if i hit the brake a bit soft it wont rattle. And it only happens when i go over rough roads no bumps just bad roads or pot holes. I need to take my truck this week so they can check it cause after i put new brakes and rotors it didnt do it for a week or so now its back so maybe something gets loose.
That sound like the same thing. Rough roads...exactly.

Keep me posted and let me know what you come up with.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
That sound like the same thing. Rough roads...exactly.

Keep me posted and let me know what you come up with.
Im gonna buy a new set of pads from autozone and put those shimes or may those brake pads and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey guys whats up I know this is a pretty old thread but did you guys ever figure out what the noise was because im starting to get the same exact thing and it is really bugging me!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't...I've learned to ignore it. I'm intending on changing the struts out when I get the time and money. Thats if i dont trade it in for an F250 diesel first....But I still have it...

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Hey guys i have not figured it out yet either. I will however work on it this coming month.

Sent from my LG-MS840 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
216 Posts
What does it sound like? The only noise I could make out was a clunking on the bumps. If that's it then there is a bullatin for replacing the sway bar bushings. The original ones are straight cut and once they wear and open upthe depflect through the bushing into the frame. I take the bolts out, to the links, to varify this. The updated bushing are angled cut to prevent this from happening

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had two occasions with similar noises. The first turned out to be a rattling license plate/frame. The second was rattling parking brakes. I was certain it was coming from the front, until I sat in the bed as someone drove my truck in a field to locate the noise. FWIW, maybe that helps. I resolved the parking brakes by yanking them out. Considering the parking brakes on T's are pretty much useless.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: Re: What is this front end noise??

What does it sound like? The only noise I could make out was a clunking on the bumps. If that's it then there is a bullatin for replacing the sway bar bushings. The original ones are straight cut and once they wear and open upthe depflect through the bushing into the frame. I take the bolts out, to the links, to varify this. The updated bushing are angled cut to prevent this from happening
I noticed when I go through a dip, a bit too fast, I get a clunk from the driver side. I'm not sure what it is but I did notice it after I installed the spacer on the struts. I changed the struts out for bilsteins hoping it would go away but it still happening. I'm out of ideas and things it could possibly be :/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I noticed when I go through a dip, a bit too fast, I get a clunk from the driver side. I'm not sure what it is but I did notice it after I installed the spacer on the struts. I changed the struts out for bilsteins hoping it would go away but it still happening. I'm out of ideas and things it could possibly be :/

Definitely sounds like coil bucket contact.

For the previous noise described, it could also be a heat shield rattling around. Mine does this over whoops in the field. I fixed it with more volume from the stereo. :teethmast

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: Re: What is this front end noise??

Definitely sounds like coil bucket contact.

For the previous noise described, it could also be a heat shield rattling around. Mine does this over whoops in the field. I fixed it with more volume from the stereo. :teethmast
It's not exactly a rattle but more of a THUD. I was thinking maybe it was the bump stops every time it hits, but after replacing the struts with 5100s and setting them on mid perch. I'm pretty sure it's not that. I haven't seen any contact marks indicating coil bucket contact. I have noticed my ball joints o the UCAs are completely shot.....perhaps that could be it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts