Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

New to Titan here, and was wondering wut you all recommend for motor oil for the 5.6 with the best oil reports? (I already try searching)... I know Nissan recs. anything with mineral base and API approve and 10w-30 but I own a few cars before and have found that, that statement is not always true. I have a Impreza WRX and Subaru reccommends any full syntetic 5w-30....But with people and my own personal experince, cheap full syntetic Shell Rotella 5w-40 does better even compared to high end oils like royal purple and Mobil 1 in oil analysis reports.

So I hope this TITAN community can help a brother out.:hi:

·
Super Moderator
161,865 Posts
There is some info on a few threads, but if my memory serves the best reports came back from Mobil 1 in 0-30.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synth. Bought a bunch of boxes on sale at Costco...6 quarts for $24. Never ran a test on the oil after usage though. Guess that doesn't really help...ha.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synth. Bought a bunch of boxes on sale at Costco...6 quarts for $24. Never ran a test on the oil after usage though. Guess that doesn't really help...ha.
ive heard that oil goes bad if you store it, correct me if im wrong? what really is the diff with using 5w-30 vs 10w-30 i have never got this clear?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
hey leetitan didnt mean to thread jack. but for my oil recommendation i use 10w-30 full syn from Valvoline. My truck runs very strong, better then what ever blend the dealer was using lol.

·
Registered
558 Posts
ive heard that oil goes bad if you store it, correct me if im wrong? what really is the diff with using 5w-30 vs 10w-30 i have never got this clear?
Nothing much really. There are different oil weight recommendations based on temperature of where the vehicle will be operated. The owner's manual said 5W-30 for full synth, which is why I got it.

·
Premium Member
46,432 Posts
Got me thinking, stuff is in the ground for millions of years how can it go 'bad' after we take the impuities out...

from Mobil 1 site

Question:
Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts
Does Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (in an unopened quart) have any sort of shelf life, like conventional motor oil?
-- John L, Littleton, CO

Answer:
ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The oil is just the carrier, it's the additives in it that protect your engine.

I've got a can of this stuff from ~1980, think it's still good? LMAO

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Wow, a trip down memory lane. I remember the days of poking a hole in top of the can with a screw driver to open. I guess I am dating myself. LOL. I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all my gassers, 5w-30 for the T. Rotella T is indeed very good, but more formulated towards diesels to prevent internal caviatation.

·
Registered
686 Posts
While the brand/weight/synthetic or non synthetic choices are important, it is secondary to the frequency your oil is changed. If you are consistent in keeping your oil clean the likelihood of an engine failure due to improper lubrication is slim at best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No this does help a lot. Like I said, just wanna hear wut everyone is using and any personal good or bad experiences with brands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bender2;2380347..... for the T. Rotella T is indeed very good said:
Very true. That is the reason why many, ( i mean MANY), people resort to Rotella T for the Subaru WRX. For one, it's turbocharged like all diesels. And just like'em, WRX's have a performance motor that is loves to rev and comes under alot of stress for a 4-banger. But I'm here to talk about the Titan and i'm starting to love this community.....

:coolsmile KEEP TRUCKIN'!!:coolsmile

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
never did any analysis but ive used royal purple, mobil 1 EP, and currently run amsoil....all 5w-30.

personal experience is: royal purple- quieted the engine a lot, seemed to not run quite as smoothly, no change in operating temps.
mobil 1- had a lot of valve train noise, engine seemed to run smoother than w/royal purple, no change in operating temps.
amsoil- more valve train noise than royal purple but much less than mobil 1, engine seems to run smoothly most of the time, very slight decrease in operating temps.
so far i think i like amsoil the most....would like to order the analysis kit for my next oil change.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I use Rotella in my truck with a K&N filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts