Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of kanati trail hogs aggressive tread tires. My tpms light seems to pop on after about 1 hour of driving freeway speed and then will go out. I am wondering if I am running too low a psi and causing heat or too high a psi after they heat up. I am running 35psi cold.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have 295x70/17 Terra Grappler G2s.(3rd set). I always run them around 45 PSI unless I am towing my trailer, then I go to 50 in the rear.
Load range is D I believe.

This pressure seems to be the best for wear, and not too harsh of a ride. Anything less than 45 psi with this size tire feels too soft and the handling is not a crisp.

I have also had Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs...(same 45 psi pressure). They wore okay at that pressure, but they got very noisy toward the end of tread life.

Your TPMS light won't come on from too high of a pressure, but it might react to different pressures from side to side if it is an indirect system. It will sense different rpm from a lower tire which in turn has a smaller diameter (it turns more rpm for same distance travelled.)
It is weird that it turns on after an hour though. Tire pressures should increase a little bit with temp build up.
You might check your tire circumferences to see if there is a significant difference. Chalk on the ground works for this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck is a 2013 Titan SL.. It had 20" OEM wheels with 275/60/20 cooper tires and I swapped them for 18x8.5 with the 275/70/18 trail hogs. I bought the setup from customwheeloffsets with new sensors. should I bump up to the 45PSI? Did you have any tpms issues at that PSI?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
did you have the TPMS reset?

also try the chalk test on the tread and see where you are at...

I have the same crap, a 2013 model year, brand new tires, brand new wheels and brand new sensors.
I`ve talked about this with the tire shop.

we think there is some kind of harmonic frequency disturbing the sensor from the tire tread or the wheel shape, who knows... and it could be a new sensor is crapping the bed to...
The light will be off for days, then at speeds above 60 the light will flash then go steady, and stay on for as little as a minute to over an hour.
The bam, it goes off all by itself... will be days before it will repeat. weird yes... it stopped bothering me though...

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I run my Duratracs at about 38, but regardless every fall when it starts getting down in the 30 range, I have to add a couple PSI to keep the light from going off.
PR if your shop filled them inside, once they go outside in the cold, the PSI will drop. I would also compare the fluctuation of when the light is going on and off with the temps dropping and raising. My wifes Pathfinder would go off while on the highway occasionally, usually a couple pounds of PSI added would solve it.

I also believe the sensors are set for right around 35-36 PSI, so if your running close to that PSI it does fluctuate very easily, and your sensor will go off.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I run my Duratracs at about 38, but regardless every fall when it starts getting down in the 30 range, I have to add a couple PSI to keep the light from going off.
PR if your shop filled them inside, once they go outside in the cold, the PSI will drop. I would also compare the fluctuation of when the light is going on and off with the temps dropping and raising. My wifes Pathfinder would go off while on the highway occasionally, usually a couple pounds of PSI added would solve it
I`ve actually checked them at a rest stop and found 38psi, which is 2psi over the initial fill...

one cool thing about the misses Nissan is the individual psi readings are in the info center screen when scrolled... cool...

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
one cool thing about the misses Nissan is the individual psi readings are in the info center screen when scrolled... cool...
Same with the wifes Jeep, for 27 years she has always had one step above me on vehicles....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My truck is a 2013 Titan SL.. It had 20" OEM wheels with 275/60/20 cooper tires and I swapped them for 18x8.5 with the 275/70/18 trail hogs. I bought the setup from customwheeloffsets with new sensors. should I bump up to the 45PSI? Did you have any tpms issues at that PSI?
TPMS never gives me a warning at 45 psi. :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Got the same tire clash and I run em constantly at 45. They are rated to go higher but I keep em at 45 and no problems. Now if go lower than that usually they start feeling spongy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I aired up to 45PSI in each tire.. After one hour on the PA Turnpike the TPMS light was blinking, then went on solid.. 5 miles later it went off.. Drove another 20 miles and it started blinking and then went on constant and then turned off 5 miles later.

I can drive all day on my local roads and never have it turn on.

strange issue...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Damn, you guys making me second guess myself. I never run more than 35psi. I got 40,000 miles out of my last set of Terra Grapplers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Damn, you guys making me second guess myself. I never run more than 35psi. I got 40,000 miles out of my last set of Terra Grapplers.

I was about to right the same as you haha

I've always kept them at the door specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
you guys are starting to worry me too...lol. Actually have some cooper pro stts and i go by the tire sidewall - it says 80psi. i run 70-78 psi. my tpms light is on. i've replaced two sensors (one was leaking off air and the other dead). Still have the solid light for no sensor info to the monitoring unit'faulty tpms....guess i should figure out the reset proceedure and see if it will work correctly since i have a commiewealth state inspection coming up. i'm sure they will hit me on that. hmmmm maybe the bulb will fall out? lol any insight on reset ( i think there is a thread on here if i can find it) or if my high pressures would cause this? (i doubt since it is just a low pressure sensor) thanks titan talkers.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I run 46 cold in the front, and 42 cold in the back, on my 2011 Pro4X CC. Tires are 1st Gen BFG TA/KOs in OEM size, but E load range. I'm getting very even wear, and with 38k on the tires, I still have a quarter to a third of the tread left. These will break 50k easily, and may make 60k.

Set up your tires so the contact patch is right and you will get best wear, handling, and braking. Running at max psi on the sidewall will wear out the centers way early unless you're always carrying max load.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you guys are starting to worry me too...lol. Actually have some cooper pro stts and i go by the tire sidewall - it says 80psi. i run 70-78 psi. my tpms light is on. i've replaced two sensors (one was leaking off air and the other dead). Still have the solid light for no sensor info to the monitoring unit'faulty tpms....guess i should figure out the reset proceedure and see if it will work correctly since i have a commiewealth state inspection coming up. i'm sure they will hit me on that. hmmmm maybe the bulb will fall out? lol any insight on reset ( i think there is a thread on here if i can find it) or if my high pressures would cause this? (i doubt since it is just a low pressure sensor) thanks titan talkers.

I ran 5psi off max for while on my 2015 Titan and it always lit the TPS light. Spoke to the service manager at my dealer and he said the TPS light will always come on at anything over 50psi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts