Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm 15 and just bought my first rifle less then 3 month's ago it's a Steven's(Knock off model Savage) 7mm-08 I love the caliber but it's messing up on me. I've missed 4 deer this year because I miss the first shot and when I get ready to shoot again it either will not jack another round into the chamber or it try's to load 2 shell's at once. I know this is not typical of a bolt action gun. But I've been told it's something wrong with the magazine and I can't see paying to get it fixed when I just bought it. I was planing on selling it at the end of hunting season anyway's. I want a pump or automatic .270 (mainly because it's not 30-35$ a box for shell's.) So what do yall think I should do. BTW I hunt with dog's so I pretty much alway's get a second shot. So do yall think I should sell it for a rifle I'm happier with or just fix the problem? I paid 375$ for it with a FM 3x9x40 scope. and yes I paid for it, my parent's think's if I want a gun I will take care of it better if I work for it. I think that's perfectly fine I beleive he same thing.

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
shooting in a hunting situation is different than shooting on the range, plus running shots are difficult. if you have a scope, and you sighted it in, i hate to say it, but it might be you. also, have you ever dropped the the gun? i had an issue with the scope on my .30-06, and the crosshairs were broke. if i were you, i probably wouldn't sell it unless you really just dont like it. If you sell it, do some research on what caliber you really like, and spend the money on a good rifle and scope. it might be alot of money, but it will be worth it because it will last. but then agian, if your having problems with it jamming, buying an auto or pump will give you the same issue. so i guess trading toward what you realy want would be your best bet. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shooting in a hunting situation is different than shooting on the range, plus running shots are difficult. if you have a scope, and you sighted it in, i hate to say it, but it might be you. also, have you ever dropped the the gun? i had an issue with the scope on my .30-06, and the crosshairs were broke. if i were you, i probably wouldn't sell it unless you really just dont like it. If you sell it, do some research on what caliber you really like, and spend the money on a good rifle and scope. it might be alot of money, but it will be worth it because it will last. but then agian, if your having problems with it jamming, buying an auto or pump will give you the same issue. so i guess trading toward what you realy want would be your best bet. Good Luck!
No I know it's my fault for missing but the reason I missed the second time is because it was jamming/messing up and I would just click when I went to shoot again or try to load to and I know I love the .270 caliber and I'm just trying to decide between pump or auto when I buy a new one and if I should even sell this one. I have a big issue with not wanting to sell gun's but if it keep's messing up I don't want it. I said the other day it has 3 more strike's before I know I'm getting rid of it. It's go 1 against it already would have passably had to but my dad shot and killed the deer.(I'll post all the pic's after hunting season I didn't get them of all the deer/ hog we've killed but most.) And if it keep's this up after Christmas I may sell it and put that money and what I get from christmas and buy a new Pump .270. But thank's for the help man.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The 7mm08 is a great deer round. You don't "need" anything bigger to kill a deer. I'll take a bolt action over a pump or auto anytime of the week. If your not hitting on the first shot you probably would miss [or worse] on the second or third anyway.
Sounds like the rifle is almost new. If it is I would send it in for a repair as it should be under warranty.
Missing is a part of hunting, we all miss from time to time. It took me years to kill my first deer because I would always rush the shot and always ended up missing. Always make that first shot count, and wait for the right opportunity. I'll be using a single shot T/C Encore in .243 this year. Just knowing that I only have one shot will make me wait for the right time to shoot.
Try Muzzle loader hunting or bowhunting it will make you a better and more patient hunter just knowing that you will only have one shot.
Good luck to you, you'll get your deer soon enough and hopefully on the first shot.

BTW, props for purchasing your own gun and props to your parents for letting you shoot and hunt.

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
something that might help, dont load the gun all the way. say if the holds five rounds, only put in three or four, so that the spring is completely compressed. i talked to a guy i know rebuilds rifles and he said that fixes the jamming issue sometimes

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If it is I would send it in for a repair as it should be under warranty.

Always make that first shot count, and wait for the right opportunity.
Both excellent pieces of advice.

I hunt with a single shot break breech 12ga. I am not preaching, but...Learn to shoot well. It only takes one shot. If you know you only have 1 shot, you learn to make that one count. "idhitit2:

On the jamming, might be the ammo, try a different brand.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I would get a bolt action .270 or 30'06 with a fixed 4x scope. For value per dollar, maybe find a good used Ruger M77 II and get it bedded and a trigger job by a gunsmith with a Leopold scope. If recoil bothers you, a .243 is also fine. You can find some great deals on used rifles from time to time.

"I've missed 4 deer this year because I miss the first shot" You need to find out why you are missing the first shot, because the deer should be dead after the first shot. Are you jerking the trigger? Are you recoil shy? Does the rifle have a crappy trigger? Is the rifle not accurate? Is it not sighted in? Is the scope mount loose? Are you shooting at deer that are too far away? If you are shooting with a rifle of hunting class accuracy at deer that are too far away to be seen clearly with a fixed 4x scope, it is like trying to win the lottery. If you need to know why, read up on MOA, grouping, accuracy, field of view, look at some ballistics charts pertaining to wind drift and bullet drop.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
something that might help, dont load the gun all the way. say if the holds five rounds, only put in three or four, so that the spring is completely compressed. i talked to a guy i know rebuilds rifles and he said that fixes the jamming issue sometimes
I thought of the same thing when I went to bed last night. Good advice! And i'm betting that will fix the problem.

I once had a Mdl. 700 Remington Jam because in my haste to get to my hunting spot I staggered the shells wrong in the magazine. I knew it was hard to close the floor plate but didn't think anything of it.....untill I rushed a shot at a nice buck and missed. Stupid deer then walked right in front of me. I worked the bolt thinking that a fresh round was being chambered, put the crosshairs on the buck and squeezed the trigger..........click!!!! Turns out the buck wasn't as stupid as I thought, he sure didn't wait around long enough for me to figure out what the problem was.:crying::crying: I still have nightmares about that morning. But you better believe I make sure my rifle is loaded correctly every time now.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know I've tryed the not loading it completely method and that don't work. And it's not that I'm recoil shy or anything I'm 6'4 320 pound's so that's the last thing I worry about I know what the problem with missing is. I'm forgetting to lead the deer and also I have a bad habit of jerking the trigger. I have hunted with a single shot. Last year was my first year of hunting and all I had was my Stoger 12 gauge single shot and I was shooting Remington 00 Buckshot 3 inch magnum so the kick of my rifle aint bad. I killed one last year the I got scared after I shot because I realized how far I shot and I KNEW I hit it. I measured and it was at 115 yard's with my Shotgun and I was worried about wounding it and not killing it. It went 30 yard's and died I put 3 pellet's in it one in the ear one threw the lung and the other threw the back leg braking it. and thank's for all the help you guy's but I think after hunting season I may sell it abd buy the rifle I want. I kinda seen this one and wanted it so I bought it. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. And the person who said maybe I was shooting at them to far. No every one I have shot at this year was within 50 yard's and with that rifle we was messing with it and I can hit something in the kill zone at 300 yard's. I've been told I am a good shot with a gun. And I do bow hunt started this year and next year if I can get a muzzle loader I will be doing that to. I love to hunt and fish and do what ever I can do to not buy anything from the store since I've started hunting. We eat what we kill and we grow a garden so we try to do stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Did you buy this rifle new or used? if Used you will need to pay for repair, new warranty should fix it. Also if you sell it you most likely you won't make your $375 back. a local gunsmith can do a simple repair of a loose magazine for under $50 and since I am not to familar with that rifle if it's got a detatchable box mag then just replace it, might only be a $25 part. Another thing you can try is to try different ammo. May sound silly but some guns are picky about you feed them. I have a 30.06 that will not feed Remington brass. No rhyme or reason why. The 7mm-08 is a great deer round and for quick recovery and fast shots for shooting at dog chased deer I would choose it over a .270win auto/pump anyday of the week. Working the bolt will give you time to settle in for a cleaner second shot instead of pissing away ammo and shooting at the sky on the 2nd or 3rd shot with a Auto. been there done that!!! But if your hell bent on something different look at a auto-loading shotgun with a rifled slug barrel and open sights. Most come with a smooth bore barrel with exchangable chokes. Now you have a multi-use deer gun with options of ammo, plus a good Dove/Duck/Goose/rabbit/squirrel gun.

FYI .270 and 7mm-08 are two different caliber projectiles. Not by much but they are different.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you buy this rifle new or used? if Used you will need to pay for repair, new warranty should fix it. Also if you sell it you most likely you won't make your $375 back. a local gunsmith can do a simple repair of a loose magazine for under $50 and since I am not to familar with that rifle if it's got a detatchable box mag then just replace it, might only be a $25 part. Another thing you can try is to try different ammo. May sound silly but some guns are picky about you feed them. I have a 30.06 that will not feed Remington brass. No rhyme or reason why. The 7mm-08 is a great deer round and for quick recovery and fast shots for shooting at dog chased deer I would choose it over a .270win auto/pump anyday of the week. Working the bolt will give you time to settle in for a cleaner second shot instead of pissing away ammo and shooting at the sky on the 2nd or 3rd shot with a Auto. been there done that!!! But if your hell bent on something different look at a auto-loading shotgun with a rifled slug barrel and open sights. Most come with a smooth bore barrel with exchangable chokes. Now you have a multi-use deer gun with options of ammo, plus a good Dove/Duck/Goose/rabbit/squirrel gun.

FYI .270 and 7mm-08 are two different caliber projectiles. Not by much but they are different.
I did buy it used but the guy before me only had it for about a month and sold it. It has the internal mag. I know the difference in .270 and 7mm-08. At 400 yard's yard's the .270 drop's like 10 inch's. And the 7mm-08 drop's like 4 inch's. And trust me I don't piss away my ammo I try to make the shot count. And I have tryed Winchester and Remington they both jam in it. I'm trying Federal next. I have a shotgun but where I hunt at it's mostly clear cut's up front and thick swamp in the back so I have a shotgun's and Rifle's in the truck with me and my dad so we good on that. But I'm trying everything I can do to NOT sell it. I would rather keep it and just buy the other rifle I want but I WON'T keep a rifle that doesn't work. And I need yall's opinion I want the Remington 7600 I believe it is. Calibered in .270 pump action what do yall think of that gun. I want the Wood stock but I can't afford it do yall think I should pay the Extra 100$ for the wood stock? Since I really want that one or just get the one I can afford?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I did buy it used but the guy before me only had it for about a month and sold it. It has the internal mag. I know the difference in .270 and 7mm-08. At 400 yard's yard's the .270 drop's like 10 inch's. And the 7mm-08 drop's like 4 inch's. And trust me I don't piss away my ammo I try to make the shot count. And I have tryed Winchester and Remington they both jam in it. I'm trying Federal next. I have a shotgun but where I hunt at it's mostly clear cut's up front and thick swamp in the back so I have a shotgun's and Rifle's in the truck with me and my dad so we good on that. But I'm trying everything I can do to NOT sell it. I would rather keep it and just buy the other rifle I want but I WON'T keep a rifle that doesn't work. And I need yall's opinion I want the Remington 7600 I believe it is. Calibered in .270 pump action what do yall think of that gun. I want the Wood stock but I can't afford it do yall think I should pay the Extra 100$ for the wood stock? Since I really want that one or just get the one I can afford?
No he means the 7mm-08 shoots a .280 calliber and the .270 shoots a .207 caliber. And the .270 drops less than the 7mm-08. The .270 uses a .30-06 case and the 7mm-08 uses a .308 case I believe.

At 400 yards the 7mm-08 drops over 23 inches sighted in at 200 yards.

Centerfire Rifle

At 400 yards the .270 drops less than 20 inches sighted in at 200 yards.

I am not trying to be a smart arse, but you should learn more about the guns you want before you buy. You can do searches on the internet for bullet drop and energy, and make an informed decision.

If you want accurate i would not recommend any of the remington pump or auto's. I have a 7400, and it is a good gun, but it is not real accurate.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Get a russian made gun!! AK47, or the SKS.. Those things will never jam, sand water dirt mud... I'v seen vid of it being run uver by tank, and guy oicked it up and fired!! A buddy of mine uses an sks here in florida... He has a 30 round banna clip, its semi auto.. I doubt you would miss with that thing, lol...

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Get a russian made gun!! AK47, or the SKS.. Those things will never jam, sand water dirt mud... I'v seen vid of it being run uver by tank, and guy oicked it up and fired!! A buddy of mine uses an sks here in florida... He has a 30 round banna clip, its semi auto.. I doubt you would miss with that thing, lol...
The 7.62X39 round is really a minimum round. Shot placement becomes a more important issue. Spray and pray is not a very ethical thing to do when hunting.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The 7.62X39 round is really a minimum round. Shot placement becomes a more important issue. Spray and pray is not a very ethical thing to do when hunting.
True... im not a hunter though.. Like shooting, thats bout it.. Just heard my buddy tell me about it... I guess that would take the fun out of hunting if you had all those bullets.....

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
True... im not a hunter though.. Like shooting, thats bout it.. Just heard my buddy tell me about it... I guess that would take the fun out of hunting if you had all those bullets.....
My boys use the 7.62X39 round for hunting in a single shot remington, and have each taken a deer with it, and my youngest got a hog with it. But shot placement is very important. That is why I have them shoot as often as possible.

The ak is fun, and can be used for hunting but shots need to be kept at a very resonable distance.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
All you need is one bullet and an accurate rifle. Something like a Ruger M77 II Target in .308 Hit a dime at 100 yds.

Found somebody posted a pic 10 shot group Ruger M77 II in .308

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No he means the 7mm-08 shoots a .280 calliber and the .270 shoots a .207 caliber. And the .270 drops less than the 7mm-08. The .270 uses a .30-06 case and the 7mm-08 uses a .308 case I believe.

At 400 yards the 7mm-08 drops over 23 inches sighted in at 200 yards.

Centerfire Rifle

At 400 yards the .270 drops less than 20 inches sighted in at 200 yards.

I am not trying to be a smart arse, but you should learn more about the guns you want before you buy. You can do searches on the internet for bullet drop and energy, and make an informed decision.

If you want accurate i would not recommend any of the remington pump or auto's. I have a 7400, and it is a good gun, but it is not real accurate.
Ok I'm not sure what your trying to say but the 7mm-08 shoot's a 7mm shot in a .308 casing. But as for the drop I was wrong I read in a book at my local gun dealer that was the drop I just read on a website that this is the proper spec's on those to gun's.

In comparable bullet weights a 7mm-08 leaves the barrel 300 fps slower than the .270 wsm, a speed advantage for the .270 bullet that's maintained beyond 500 yards. With both calibers sighted to hit about 2" high at 100 yards the 7mm is dead on at 200 and the .270 wsm dead on at 250 yards. At 300 yards the 7mm is hitting 4" lower than the .270. At 400 yards the bullet drop on the 270 wsm is about 13" whereas the 7mm-08 drops 21". At 500 yards the 270 wsm drops 28" and the 7mm drops 43".

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
Ok I'm not sure what your trying to say but the 7mm-08 shoot's a 7mm shot in a .308 casing. But as for the drop I was wrong I read in a book at my local gun dealer that was the drop I just read on a website that this is the proper spec's on those to gun's.

In comparable bullet weights a 7mm-08 leaves the barrel 300 fps slower than the .270 wsm, a speed advantage for the .270 bullet that's maintained beyond 500 yards. With both calibers sighted to hit about 2" high at 100 yards the 7mm is dead on at 200 and the .270 wsm dead on at 250 yards. At 300 yards the 7mm is hitting 4" lower than the .270. At 400 yards the bullet drop on the 270 wsm is about 13" whereas the 7mm-08 drops 21". At 500 yards the 270 wsm drops 28" and the 7mm drops 43".
Dude you are all over the place. Now you are talking about the .270 WSM. You do know there is a differnence between the 270 and the 270WSM? And the difference between a 7MM-08 and a 270 WSM is almost 500 FPS difference. And almost 800 ft/lbs of difference. That is a huge difference. That is almost like comparing a 30-30 to a 30-06.

You really need to take some time and go to the range and shoot until you can hit every shot. Or go back to the shotgun.

I have yet to find a sight that matches your numbers. The .270 wsm drops 16.5 inches at 400 when sighted in at 200.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts