Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Genuine NISSAN Long Life Anti-freeze coolant or equivalent. If the jugs say it's good for Nissan, you'll be good.

·
Premium Member
19,162 Posts
I'm using the Wal-mart brand SuperTech right now. I have the CSF 3328 radiator, not the OEM. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Any Ethylene Glycol based green coolant will work. I use Prestone which is available at most auto parts stores. Just make sure when you add the water, you use distilled.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I've never changed mine. I've always noticed that on older vehicles I owned that the moment I changed it stuff started going wrong. I will never change it.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Any Ethylene Glycol based green coolant will work. I use Prestone which is available at most auto parts stores. Just make sure when you add the water, you use distilled.
Or just buy the pre mixed antifreeze which seems to be more simple.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Or just buy the pre mixed antifreeze which seems to be more simple.
Yeah, but I think you get less coolant for your money with the pre mixed stuff.

·
Premium Member
19,162 Posts
How do you mix the antifreeze to exactly a 50/50 mix? Yes, it's probably less expensive to buy the full strength antifreeze. But I wasn't willing to spend the time measuring out x number of ounces of fluid, then mix it with exactly x ounces of distilled water and keep doing that until I had a full radiator.

I didn't feel comfortable just dumping in a gallon of full strength and then hope that I could fit in a gallon of distilled water to come up with the 50/50 mix.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Yeah, but I think you get less coolant for your money with the pre mixed stuff.
Who cares the " Value " per ounce, it's not like fuel and it needs to be added every week. After you take into account having to go to the another store to buy distilled water the pre mix is probably cheaper. My time is worth a $ amount ontop of it.

·
Premium Member
19,162 Posts
^^^ What he said!!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
How do you mix the antifreeze to exactly a 50/50 mix? Yes, it's probably less expensive to buy the full strength antifreeze. But I wasn't willing to spend the time measuring out x number of ounces of fluid, then mix it with exactly x ounces of distilled water and keep doing that until I had a full radiator.

I didn't feel comfortable just dumping in a gallon of full strength and then hope that I could fit in a gallon of distilled water to come up with the 50/50 mix.
I usually run 70/30 mix, not 50/50. And, you don't have to be that exact with it either. This isn't brain surgery, it's just refilling the coolant. I've done it this way with all of my vehicles including my old '88 Toyota PU and I got 450K+ miles out of that thing.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Who cares the " Value " per ounce, it's not like fuel and it needs to be added every week. After you take into account having to go to the another store to buy distilled water the pre mix is probably cheaper. My time is worth a $ amount ontop of it.
You don't need to go to a "special" store to buy the distilled water. If you go grocery shopping every month like most people, you can usually find the distilled water there. If the wife/girlfriend has to do that due to your extreme time constraints, just get her to pick up the distilled water when she is at the grocery store.

Yeah, I realize time is worth money, but like anything else in life, you only get out of it what you put into it. I enjoy doing my own maintenance on my truck so mixing the coolant myself is no problem. It's time well spent knowing I put in the ratio I prefer (70/30) and a good quality distilled water into the coolant mix.

Money doesn't grow on trees so I tend to favor the "value' in things that I buy as a consumer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Genuine NISSAN Long Life Anti-freeze coolant or equivalent. If the jugs say it's good for Nissan, you'll be good.
how safe is it to use STP universal antifreeze? I always used antifreeze just for nissan models but I have this jug but haven't used it yet.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
"You don't need to go to a "special" store to buy the distilled water."

You don't need to go to any store. Electric home water distillers are now reasonably priced and will pay for themselves over time, depending on your usage. It costs me about 50 cents per gallon and takes about 4 hours to distill one gallon. My tap water just leaves a little calcium residue, but depending on your water source, you might be shocked and appalled by the residue from your tap water.

"how safe is it to use STP universal antifreeze?"

It's only rated for two years of service whereas "long life" coolants are typically rated for 5 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any non silicate antifreeze will work .The traditional green is a silicate and should not be mixed with non silicate .Antifreeze comparison
although they all are ethylene glycol based ,It has t do with the corrosion inhibitors that are not compatible with each other.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Last time I bought 1 gal genuine nissan coolant, 1 gal of distilled water, empty 5 gal water jug used on water cooler and dumped both in there to mix.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts