Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REALLY hate to start an oil thread, but what the hell. Is everyone using the reccomended 5-30 or something thicker? While changing the oil last night I noticed how truly thin 5-30 is. Almost like water when it is hot!

L

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Using 5 w30. I'm sure alot or R/R went int the Titan motor and the engineers think 5w30 is the best. The manual says 5w30 so that's what I use. I know their is atleast one guy that use's 0w30.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard urban legend type rumors that the thinner oil lets the manufacturer claim higher MPG numbers. The theory being that there is less internal drag with the thinner oil and if protection suffers it means more $$ in part sales. Doesn't seem to ring true, as engines are pretty long lived these days.

L

·
Registered
834 Posts
I used to be a die-hard 10W-30 fan & user regardless of what the manufacturer said. In Louisiana it rarely drops below freezing temperatures so I figured it was fine. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-30 in my 2002 Silverado ever since it hit 5000 miles, and changed it religiously on a 5000 mile OCI. It started burning a quart of oil between oil changes at about 60000 miles and continued until I traded it in on the Titan a few months back. I don't know if it was the oil, or the Chevy engine, but I am going with Nissan's recommendation of 5W-30 with the Titan & will keep everything else the same. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Luckyontheducky said:
I noticed how truly thin 5-30 is. Almost like water when it is hot!
Thin is not bad, thin get's into tight little spaces where thick cannot. The concept that an oil has to be thick to be good is so not correct. Honda is an engine company 1st and foremost, do you know what's in all the new Accords? It's 5W20, yes, not even 5W30, but 5W20.

Nissan gave us a wonderful big V8, with 4-valves per cylinder, an aluminum block, amazing power, and you can be sure they did this through lots of research and testing; do yourself a favor and feed it the specified fluid.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use 0W30, but it is because it is not uncommon for us to get to -35 to -40f in the winter here in Winnipeg... ever try to pour 10W30 in -40, its like pouring molasses :rolleyes: 5W30 is not as bad but not great either

·
Registered
19 Posts
I totally agree with Quad T regarding the recommended weight. It was designed to use 5w-30. My wife's 4 cylinder Ford Focus (and current F150's from what I have heard) takes 5w20. 65k miles on the Focus and using semi/syn Motorcraft and it takes about 2 ounces of oil between 5k change intervals.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have used 5w-30 on every vehicle i have owned and used in many racing applications. i dont know if you guys know what the viscosity numbers mean but heres a quick lesson for those who dont.

the first number in the oil viscosity refers to the viscosity of the oil at zero degrees F. The "W" after the first number stands for it has been approved for Winter use. and the final number refers to the viscosity of the oil at high temps. so the major difference between a 5w-30 and a 10w-30 would be the low temp viscosity.

thinner oil reduces parasitic loss of horsepower which will give you more power, not much, and increase your fuel mileage, another slight gain. which is why more companies have gone from 10w-30 to 5w-30 and now some car companies are calling for 0w-30

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just turned 6000miles on my 07 and i started using 5w 30 from the start but started with full synthetic and have had no problems and seems to be running even smoother.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My titan has always gotten mobil 1 0w-40 and seems to love it. Will out pump a 5w-30/ 10w-30 in the cold, and out protect 5w/10w-30 in the heat, better pumpabilty when cold equates to beter start up protection, the perfect oil IMHO. Way less valve train noise then the other titans and armada's my buddies have as well running 30wts. Mobil 1 0w-40 is barely a 40wt, so there is not much if any parasitic loss or fuel economy compared to most 30wts. I get upper 16's to lower 17's and my truck is a 4x4 with BT and AT tires.

·
Super Moderator
93,617 Posts
Stick with the 5W-30. I had a good conversation with a tech at Red Line last year about oil viscosity, and the reason they recommend 5w-30 is that it get to the lifters faster at start up which reduces wear.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Luckyontheducky said:
I REALLY hate to start an oil thread, but what the hell. Is everyone using the reccomended 5-30 or something thicker? While changing the oil last night I noticed how truly thin 5-30 is. Almost like water when it is hot!

L
The first number only refers to the viscocity when the oil is cold anyway though, so when it's hot it will flow at a 30 weight regardles of the W (winter) number.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts