Nissan Titan Forum banner

What will VOID warranty ?

12K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  gradiver 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to do Cat Back Exhaust , Cold Air Intake , and Bully Dog GT ? I dont wanna void the warranty I have a 2010 cc 2x4 with 2000 miles !

#2 ·
From what I have read on this forum and on aftermarket websites, it is against the law for a manufacturer to void a factory warranty for aftermarket parts such as an exhaust, intake, or programmer. I was worried about the same since I am doing some performance mods to my '10 cc. Superchips discusses this topic on their web page.

#3 ·
None of it will. Just make sure you program back to stock before you go to the dealer.

#4 · (Edited)
here how it works...whatever OEM part you replace with a 3rd-party part, you lose the warranty coverage on the OEM part you are replacing. You replace the OEM exhaust you lose the exhaust warranty. You replace the cold air you will lose the cold-air warranty. Nissan is under no warranty obligation if your 3rd-party part goes bad for any reason. If anything goes wrong with the engine, Nissan would have to prove that the root cause of the problem was entirely the fault of any 3rd-party part they claim is causing the problem.

The thing you have to watch out for is that Nissan may first try to blame the 3rd-party part without establishing any proof that the 3rd-party part was the entire cause of the engine problem. They are hoping that the customer is ignorant of the consumer regulations (Moss-Magnuson Act). In this case you just threaten getting an attorney. Nissan may then either go ahead and just fix it under the warranty OR they may "impound" the truck on their premises and bring in a Master Mechanic who will proceed to tear the entire engine apart looking for every little thing thay can lay their hat on. It all depends on what the issue is and what is is going to cost them to make the problem go away.

As for the Bully Dog, if you go in with an OEM computer related problem and you somehow expose the fact you run a programmer , Nissan may be able to easily show that the programmer takes the engine out of intended use and / or warranty spec. If they do manage to prove this they will usually make an offer to replace the OEM computer with a new one at totally your part and service expense and then maybe restore your OEM computer warranty on the new OEM computer replacement.

Then its up to you if you want to use the programmer with the new OEM computer. But again the cycle repeats if the new OEM computer blows.

#7 ·
Returning it to stock takes ~10 minutes.

#9 ·
Had bad news today... think that the head gasket might be blown in my truck and there is a lot of evidence that it is blown. They are doing an over night leak check on it now to see if it is blown or if its something else in the lines causing the leak and other problems. Now that bbeing said they did say that since I do have the bully dog GT it might void the warranty but they would have to prove why it would void the warranty and I doubt that the bully dog could void the warranty... either way I would make it proven... once I get more info tomorrow I will follow up with the results. Until then it will be a long night of stressing wether or not im going to have to pay all of this cash out. FML

#11 ·
Yeah...I would not have freely offered that information.

#12 ·
I can't remember where I read it but one of the big three (Dodge possibly?)was having some issues with blown head gaskets on new trucks. They tracked it down to being caused by people running tuners and the gaskets not being rated for the additional HP put out by the tuner. Started denying all warranty claims for blown head gaskets. So yeah, it can happen. As with all computers, clearing the memory or putting it back to "factory" can and does leave some residual information from prior changes in the memory.

#13 ·
hey guys, i have a problem with my truck. the tranny went bad and the dealer is now telling me it went bad bc of the leveling kit and my cold air intake. my truck is an 2006, with 37000 miles with 2 months left on the warranty. they wont fix it under warranty bc of these issues. there trying to ge tme to pay 5000 for a new tranny. i think they are giving me the business. has anyone had trouble with a leveling kit and powertrain warranty issues? thanks

#14 ·
Wow that is a stretch. The level kit does change the factory geometry of the drive train slightly but to say it would cause the trans to fail is pretty harsh and probably not something they could ever prove. The CAI is total BS and that you can fight. Nissan sells a Nismo CAI on their website.

#16 ·
Legally, the only way they can truly VOID a warrenty is for extensive modifcations to the entire vehicle including engine.

Now they can deny claims on things like the computer, intake system, and exhaust system if you have modified them.

But alot of sneaky scum bag managers will try and talk you out of the replacement process. They will try and hassle you and say your warrenty is voided because of such and such, blah blah blah. But its a bogus act in a feble attempt to avoid working on your ride.

Now if you show up to the dealer with a full modded engine like a set of cams, ported heads and expect them to cover engine damage you got another thing coming your way. But if you have an exhaust/intake/programmer and the engine shoots a rods out the side of the block, they will honor that warrenty after you threaten legal action when they try and make you pay for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.