Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 09 Pro-4X. Before I became a member of this website and learned about PRG, I bought a leveling kit from Superlift because they're local and I was riding by there anyways, so I picked it up straight from Superlift's office. After installing it, it looked great, but had major coilbucket contact. By this time I had become a member on this website, so I knew people were talking about grinding off their upper control arm lips. I wanted to do one better, so I called Superlift and asked them if they had a fix. They said they hadn't heard of the problem, so they asked me to bring the truck to them and they'd fix it. They were glad that I called so that they could be made aware of the problem. All they could see to do was either grind the lips or get shorter shocks (they designed the kit on an '05 or '06, which had 1/2" shorter shock, which causes the major cb contact). I told them they could do the grinding and we'd call it even. They did, and made it look reall good. The cb contact was minimized, but still isn't gone. What would y'all do? I've dropped $180 on the kit, installed it myself, took it over there for them to fix, and I've still got the problem. I want to end up with at least 4" of lift, eventually, but for now should I put another brand's leveling kit on there or should I take the kit off and install Bilstein 5100's? Like everyone else on here, I want the most lift for the least amount of money and I think I've just wasted $180.

·
Premium Member
58,322 Posts
I'm curious to hear the answers to this. I'm thinking of taking my NCD kit off and installing Bilsteins.

·
Registered
784 Posts
maybe try rough country upper control arms. they might give you the clearance you need. i think prg has some too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe try rough country upper control arms. they might give you the clearance you need. i think prg has some too.
Yeah, I thought about that. The PRG's are frickin' expensive...they look good, but are expensive! And I don't know this for a fact, and maybe someone else could let me know, but I was told by one person that bought the Rough Country UCA's and leveling kit that the UCA's didn't solve his coil bucket contact troubles and that you couldn't buy just the UCA...that you had to buy the leveling kit as well...as a package. But, his was an '04 or '05, so I don't know if that'd make a difference in the fitment of the Rough Country or not. Like I said, that was just one person telling me that,...so I'm not settled on the fact that Rough Country couldn't solve my problem, but it made me rethink it.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
From what I've read it looks like the RC UCA's will give about 1/2" of additional clearance but some have also had wider tires rub on them with stock rims. My Total Chaos UCA's don't provide much more from my experience, maybe 3/4". The current revision of the PRG arms provide the most.

To get 4" of lift with no contact I think that's the only way you will be able to get there ... the PRG arms for the spacer plus the 5100's on the middle setting for 1.5" of preload lift. Or Icon coilovers with the hat flipped which adds about 1.5" to their length and 2.5" of lift, plus what ever you set the preload to. With this setup I was just above 4", but had a lot of cb contact with the Chaos arms. Others with the current PRG UCA's clear. But With a newer Titan you still might get some contact because the coil buckets are welded higher on the frame than on the older Titans, according to PRG. But you should be able to clear with 3.5".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read it looks like the RC UCA's will give about 1/2" of additional clearance but some have also had wider tires rub on them with stock rims. My Total Chaos UCA's don't provide much more from my experience, maybe 3/4". The current revision of the PRG arms provide the most.

To get 4" of lift with no contact I think that's the only way you will be able to get there ... the PRG arms for the spacer plus the 5100's on the middle setting for 1.5" of preload lift. Or Icon coilovers with the hat flipped which adds about 1.5" to their length and 2.5" of lift, plus what ever you set the preload to. With this setup I was just above 4", but had a lot of cb contact with the Chaos arms. Others with the current PRG UCA's clear. But With a newer Titan you still might get some contact because the coil buckets are welded higher on the frame than on the older Titans, according to PRG. But you should be able to clear with 3.5".
Thanks, NorCal. That sounds like some pretty sound advice. It's tough to get anything done around here. None of the 4x4 shops around here know anything about Titans, so I really appreciate the help. Sounds like I need to hit up PRG for some UCA's!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The PRG's are frickin' expensive...they look good, but are expensive!
I'm sure you're on a budget, like most of us BUT.....The PRG arms aren't expensive, that what real quality parts cost for short run applications...My T/C arms ran about the same and they too are short run hi-quality parts...designed to run hard down the Baja Peninsula not down Main Street....:)

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I find it ridiculous that some manufactures just add the model year to their product without checking to see if anything has changed. Keep seeing on this forum products that don't fit newer model T's. You would hope they would check their products on every new model year. So many members become test trucks for free and in the end either lose out on money or have to accept a modified "kind of sort of works" product. done ranting...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I find it ridiculous that some manufactures just add the model year to their product without checking to see if anything has changed.
I understand your frustration.....it's equally frustrating to find out that some manufactures can't/won't hold enough tolerance for simple products to work...

The coil bucket/control arm issue has been raging since day one....one guys 05' has no issues at with a 2.5" lift (at the wheel) while another had mild hitting issues at 2.0"....It's so close that just a little more or less lip on the CB and it's hitting...or not...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I understand your frustration.....it's equally frustrating to find out that some manufactures can't/won't hold enough tolerance for simple products to work...

The coil bucket/control arm issue has been raging since day one....one guys 05' has no issues at with a 2.5" lift (at the wheel) while another had mild hitting issues at 2.0"....It's so close that just a little more or less lip on the CB and it's hitting...or not...
Yes, and Greg posted, on here somewhere, that the position of where the buckets were welded onto the frame varied batch to batch on the older Titans, and said to me that with the 08+ Titans have their coil buckets welded on higher. I don't know if the new ones still have as much variance between each other, but I'd guess they do.

PrerunnerGreg said:
The only thing that has changed since the pre-production '03 models is the bumpstop and lower shock mount tab (both on '03 models, been the same since '04) and the coil springs on numerous years and models. There have been many variations of where the coilbucket actually gets welded to the chassis though....and these are not changes mandated by a revision, the frame builders are simply inconsistant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking about either one of these two options, for the quick fix: 1) yank those Superlift spacers out and order PRG's minilift, or 2) yank those Superlift spacers out and set the front up with some Bilstein 5100's.

Which of those two options would y'all do?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I thought you can't safely get 4" of lift on a 4x4 w/o adding pressure on the front diff pinion seals but I could be wrong... Personally, I'd get a refund and go a different route if you want more than 2" because more than 2" on a Pro-4x using spacers pucks seems to be asking for alot...

Personally, I like the Bilstein 5100's better than the OEM Rancho so that get's my vote. Just keep in mind the 2.5" lift measurement is for a non Pro-4x so you may not get a full 2" difference out of them.

I just think that a "Pro-4x" deserves better though and you should save up for a PRG mid-travel kit. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought you can't safely get 4" of lift on a 4x4 w/o adding pressure on the front diff pinion seals but I could be wrong... Personally, I'd get a refund and go a different route if you want more than 2" because more than 2" on a Pro-4x using spacers pucks seems to be asking for alot...

Personally, I like the Bilstein 5100's better than the OEM Rancho so that get's my vote. Just keep in mind the 2.5" lift measurement is for a non Pro-4x so you may not get a full 2" difference out of them.

I just think that a "Pro-4x" deserves better though and you should save up for a PRG mid-travel kit. :D
Oh yea, for sure...I know you can't stretch out 4" with spacers. But I'd like to one day have 4". I just threw on the spacers to get the front end a little higher off the ground for the time-being...until I can afford some wheels/tires/suspension lift. Basically what I'm going for (one day) is to be able to fit 35's in the fenderwells and have them look like the 'fit' in the fenderwells. I don't want a lot of space between the tops of the tires and the fenders. I want them to look 'snug' in there. I feel like 4" would get me there. Does anyone disagree that 4" of lift will allow for 35's?

I'm like you, Pops,...I'm thinking get rid of the spacers and go with some 5100's for the short term.

Yeah, we're kinda' lacking the whoops and sand and trails here in northeast Louisiana to justify the mid-travel! But, on the other hand, our paved roads are like driving on other states' substandard roads, so maybe a mid-travel wouldn't be a bad idea! Lol. It makes for a bad-looking rig, though!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure you're on a budget, like most of us BUT.....The PRG arms aren't expensive, that what real quality parts cost for short run applications...My T/C arms ran about the same and they too are short run hi-quality parts...designed to run hard down the Baja Peninsula not down Main Street....:)
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific...the PRG arms are an expensive fix (to me) for what should have been a $200 project. In the grand scheme of things, no, they're not that expensive...but as a fix to something that shouldn't have ever been a problem, it's pricey. If I bought the UCA's, I'd look at it as a $700 leveling kit! And for $700, I'd better be looking at more than 2 or 2 1/2 inches of lift! LOL.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
But they, (the PRG UCA's), will enable that future 4" you want, well maybe 3.5" since you have a newer Titan. The Bilstein 5100's would be the only remaining ingredient. PRG UCA's are the only way for a 4x4, (the other UCA's don't provide as much bucket clearance), besides a body lift. Body lifts get expensive because of the labor, unless you do the work yourself, and that just costs a lot of time.
But I'd like to one day have 4".

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
if your gonna want the 4" of lift, I would just keep the spacer on and buy some new UCAs; there is no need to buy a new leveling kit

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oh yea, for sure...I know you can't stretch out 4" with spacers. But I'd like to one day have 4". I just threw on the spacers to get the front end a little higher off the ground for the time-being...until I can afford some wheels/tires/suspension lift. Basically what I'm going for (one day) is to be able to fit 35's in the fenderwells and have them look like the 'fit' in the fenderwells. I don't want a lot of space between the tops of the tires and the fenders. I want them to look 'snug' in there. I feel like 4" would get me there. Does anyone disagree that 4" of lift will allow for 35's?

I'm like you, Pops,...I'm thinking get rid of the spacers and go with some 5100's for the short term.

Yeah, we're kinda' lacking the whoops and sand and trails here in northeast Louisiana to justify the mid-travel! But, on the other hand, our paved roads are like driving on other states' substandard roads, so maybe a mid-travel wouldn't be a bad idea! Lol. It makes for a bad-looking rig, though!
if you have stock wheels, and if your willing to do a pinch weld mod, you can probably fit the 35's with just the leveling kit. thats what i had before the spindle lift and it looked 'snug'. i thought it looked good though

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you have stock wheels, and if your willing to do a pinch weld mod, you can probably fit the 35's with just the leveling kit. thats what i had before the spindle lift and it looked 'snug'. i thought it looked good though
Cool. I kinda felt like 35's would come really close to fitting, but wasn't sure.

Where's Dutchtown?

·
Registered
784 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts