Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok everyone, i LOVE my truck, believe me, but as a college student that's soon to go from 'poor' to 'PO', i can't handle the 11-14 mpg i'm getting. i went to the stealership today and test drove an altima coupe (sweet car, but a lil small for me), and what i'm looking at is possibly trading the truck straight across for most likely a 2.5L 4 door altima with a manual tranny (cuz it's more fun). i won't do it if they won't do a straight trade, but when i was there today they seemed to think a trade would work. my truck is an '04 CC LE OR BT with only 23K miles.

what do you think? would you make this trade? i own my truck outright, it mainly just comes down to gas mileage. with the alty i could get between 24 and 32, instead of my current 11-14. right now, i only drive my truck around town and to school (like 1 mile), and it almost never sees the freeway. the furthest i drive it from home is 25 miles to my hometown. basically, i NEVER really get to drive it, other than around town. when i go to dental school and have a 20-40 minute commute, i will really never get to drive the truck at all, except maybe on the weekends. i know it doesn't make much sense to ditch a vehicle just for gas mileage, but my opinion is if i can't ever drive the truck, i might as well get a car that i like and that i will be able to drive everyday. so feel free to chime in with your greater collective wisdom :D

also, does anyone know where i can get a VPP number?? that would REALLY help my situation.

thanks in advance, everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
get a moped man.. even though they are pretty lame, that 50 plus gas mileage will be nice, plus you go to school so everyone and their mother has one and you will blend in..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,510 Posts
You own the truck outright and you cant afford the gas?? :huh: Seems it wouldnt matter really since you dont have a payment. Ya think? Or is there something else?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
162,273 Posts
Trade it for a Smart car. You probably still wouldn't have a payment, and think of how easy to park around campus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
speaking of, smart cars are coming out soon starting at 12k with no AC.. and they are starting in tampa.. saw it in the papers a few months ago
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
speaking of, smart cars are coming out soon starting at 12k with no AC.. and they are starting in tampa.. saw it in the papers a few months ago
Florida and no A/C is unbearable. That's no smart car. Better to buy a Sentra.

Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Do what you have to do to get that piece of paper. I had to sell a gas guzzling 1968 Chevelle, most of my power tools and guns, and some blood to make it through college. It was totally worth it. Didn't take long to get it all back and then some.

As a side note, I just bought my truck through VPP, and it made life a heck of a lot easier for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
141,094 Posts
Keep the truck Lurch.
It's paid for. You got big bills coming up, and gas will be the cheapest part of your worries.
Plus, the truck is practical. Much moreso than the Altima.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys. i do own the truck, but i bought it last year through my S-corp when i was making great money. this year things went a lil bad and i made approximately 1/6 the money i made last year, plus we just had a baby a couple months ago. so the wife isn't working, and i don't want her to. during dental school i will have several semesters of 30+ credits, so i will not be working. i mean, i could keep the truck and let it sit prolly 4 days/week, or i could get a fun alty that i could drive everyday.

i dunno, i'm going back to the dealer tomorrow. if they can't do the trade straight across w/o me paying less than $200 outta pocket then it won't happen. but if they can......maybe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
Hey man. I am in a very similar situation. I am also a student. My truck sits in the parking garage at my apartment all week. I drive it home and back every weekend (45 miles, all highway). Before school started this year I came so close to buying a car because gas prices and milage was a big concern for me. I decided last minute to keep my truck. Mainly because I just love it to much I could not hand it over. My truck is paid for so I don't have payments to make either. I am so glad I kept it for this reason... When I drove it daily last year, I went through about a tank a week. Now I fill up twice a month, if that. So I am spending less money on gas then I was, obviously because I am not driving as much. So think of it this way. Because your truck sits most of the week, you are not using that gas that will in turn, be used on the weekends. Sure, if you get the Alti, you wont spend AS much on gas, but I don't think you should trade the truck in so you can have a "fun" car to drive around during the week. A car driven everyday will cost as much as driving a Titan on the weekends. I just know you cant be disappointed when you know you have a Titan waiting for you in the driveway!
But...If you feel like the extra money saved with an Aliti as an every day car will benefit you and your new audition to the family, I would not hesitate if need be.
I hope all that makes sense to anyone else haha.
Alex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RckyMtnTitan said:
Hey man. I am in a very similar situation. I am also a student. My truck sits in the parking garage at my apartment all week. I drive it home and back every weekend (45 miles, all highway). Before school started this year I came so close to buying a car because gas prices and milage was a big concern for me. I decided last minute to keep my truck. Mainly because I just love it to much I could not hand it over. My truck is paid for so I don't have payments to make either. I am so glad I kept it for this reason... When I drove it daily last year, I went through about a tank a week. Now I fill up twice a month, if that. So I am spending less money on gas then I was, obviously because I am not driving as much. So think of it this way. Because your truck sits most of the week, you are not using that gas that will in turn, be used on the weekends. Sure, if you get the Alti, you wont spend AS much on gas, but I don't think you should trade the truck in so you can have a "fun" car to drive around during the week. A car driven everyday will cost as much as driving a Titan on the weekends. I just know you cant be disappointed when you know you have a Titan waiting for you in the driveway!
But...If you feel like the extra money saved with an Aliti as an every day car will benefit you and your new audition to the family, I would not hesitate if need be.
I hope all that makes sense to anyone else haha.
Alex
thanks for the input man. the other factor i should prolly mention is that i want to mod the truck, and it's frustrating to not be able to afford it. i actually have a PC stage 1 lift sitting in my closet cuz i can't afford to upgrade the wheels/tires at the same time.

i'm thinking of getting the alti in black, tint the crap outta the windows, sell my truck lift, and buy black wheels & new tires for the alti... to me right now that's almost as appealing as having the titan sitting there, pretty much stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh, and i'll definitely buy another Titan after i'm out of school for good. i can always look forward to that ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
I think the fact that you can always buy Titan later down the road is a good point. I think either way you can't go wrong. Good luck man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RckyMtnTitan said:
I think the fact that you can always buy Titan later down the road is a good point. I think either way you can't go wrong. Good luck man.
thanks man.

after researching a bit more i'm thinking i won't be able to get the 3.5L alti, but the 2.5's still cool and a lil better on gas. i'm going back tomorrow to talk some more and to look at just exactly what the deal will work out to be. if i have to pay more than a couple hundred bucks for title/doc fees, i'm walking.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
162,273 Posts
Do you need the room of the Altima? I ask the question becuase there are less expensive cars out there that would get you through school and fill the gap to the next Titan. Less expensive cars that would be more economical to drive as well. Honda Fit is one that comes to mind. Or, if you're set on another Nissan what about the Versa? I don't think the Versa is the best looking small car out there, but...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Carbeaux said:
Do you need the room of the Altima? I ask the question becuase there are less expensive cars out there that would get you through school and fill the gap to the next Titan. Less expensive cars that would be more economical to drive as well. Honda Fit is one that comes to mind. Or, if you're set on another Nissan what about the Versa? I don't think the Versa is the best looking small car out there, but...
thx carb, although i actually do need the extra room of the alti. i'm 6'4" and about 280 lbs, plus this would be the car we'd drive as a family most of the time, and i need room for my 11 week old baby. i really have thought about getting a lil beater car and still keeping the titan, but i can't really afford a car payment, since i'm living on student loans. however, if the dealership won't trade straight across then i will prolly be saving up money over the summer and buying a small car for <$2,000 to drive to school next fall...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
It sounds like you really like the Altima, so just go ahead and get it. You can always get another Titan after you graduate from dental school. The Titans may be even more bad azz after they are redesigned in 2009 or 2010. Babies require a lot of $$ which I'm sure you are realizing by now. I think the Altima would be a practical choice for you.
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top