Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into my local Nissan dealer, Saturday Feb 28 (almost 2 weeks ago). I had been dealing with someone online that prior week, and was offered 3% above invoice. 24,200, on an XE crew. The MSRP for this is 25,750 according to Kelly Blue book. So, I thought that was a decent deal.
That night, Feb 28, the finance manager told me they had secured the vehicle from another dealer, but something was wrong with their computers, so we would need to come back tomorrow to finalize the paperwork. He told me that the truck *may* be ready by then, but "worst case scenario", it would be Wed (March 3rd). We did the paperwork on Sunday, no truck, so I patiently waited. I talked to the salesman who sold me the truck on Tues (Mar 2), and he told me that the "driver who goes and gets dealer trades was out sick" and thats why they hadn't got my truck yet. So Wed. rolls around (remember- Worst case scenario!). I did not receive 1 phone call from the dealer, so I decided I better call, just in case. The salesman I had been working with was off that day (how convenient?), so I talk to the sales manager. He tells me that the dealer trade never went through, so he doesn't have a truck for me! Now keep in mind, that they have a check for 2 grand, and a contract for a SPECIFIC VIN number. At this point, I'm furious simply because I had been lied to. So the sales manager calms me down, comes back and says "I've found another truck, its really close by, I PROMISE I'll have here tomorrow. It also has a bedliner, and bed-extender, no extra charge". So I think "Ok, He's made good on his mistake", we shake hands and I go home with the warm and fuzzy of being dealt with fairly.
So, the next day, Thursday Mar 4th, I did not receive any calls and decided to just show up at the dealer that night. To my surprise, the sales manager gives me some story about a "big sale" they had that day, and that they were so busy that no one was available to get my truck. Now, I'm beyond mad. I sit down in the managers office, and calmly state that I'm not leaving until I have a truck. So, he gives me the keys to his fully loaded LE crew. He then tells me I can drive that until they find me a truck.
I did not receive any phone calls from the dealer, and on Monday(March 8th), I decided to call the dealer and find out whats going on. The sales manager blind transfers me to the dealer-trade guy, and he gives me some story about how they were having a hard time locating a truck, but that he had just secured it, and that I could pick it up on Wednesday (March 10th) I'm driving around in a fully loaded dealer demo, so I'm not totally irrate this time. So, Wednesday rolls around, and yet again, no phone call from the dealer. I call the dealer-trade guy, and he gives me some runaround story about how they don't have the truck yet, and they are having a hard time finding one, blah, blah, blah....He promises they'll have it tomorrow (Gee, doesn't that sound familiar??). So here it is, Thursday March 11th, and guess what? No phone call from the dealer. I just got off the phone with the dealer trade guy, and he says they will have it tomorrow. He said he was very sorry for the delay, blah, blah, blah... and said it would be ready tomorrow evening, and made a point to let me know he made a note on his calendar for tomorrow, at 6pm.
Now keep in mind, the sales manager is letting me drive his fully loaded LE crewcab, but the thing that I'm so mad about is the fact that I've been lied to so many times. If the guy would have told me 2 weeks ago that it would take 2 weeks to find a truck, I would have been fine with that. But if you set the expectation of "tomorrow", I expect them to live up to that.
Let me know what you guys think, and what you would do in this situation.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
115 Posts
I dont know where you live, but I'm here in illinois and had the exact problem with a dealer. I came in put $10,000 cash down and after the paperwork was done they said that the trade didn't go through, bla bla bla. I made them count my money back to me cash and walked out of there. The next day they found me vehicle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"Good things come to those who wait..."

What else can you do besides call, ask, and wait? Besides, it's not like driving around a fully-loaded Titan is such a bad thing. Instead of racking up miles on your own, you can do it at their expense. =)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would either put up with the runaround ( you are driving a new Titan for free ) or go to another dealer if it aggravates you that much :) .

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jon, I'm so sorry that you're getting jerked around like this-it's sure messing up the new truck experience for you...I admire your patience through this tangle of excuses, and thankfully, you know that Titan is the truck for you...I certainly hope that you'll get YOUR truck tomorrow and your tolerance will be rewarded...even though you've been using their demo, it's not the same as being able to take your own Titan around to show to your friends, etc. Best of luck tomorrow...and remember, you'll get one of those surveys from Nissan regarding your buying experience, soon...have at it!

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me. They told me the truck I was supposed to get "must have been sold over the weekend by the dealer they were going to trade from." But, the truck actually wasn't sold (as I found out early this week, a week after "buying" the truck) and the other dealer simply didn't want to trade.

But, they claim they were able to work out a trade with that same dealer on the exact same truck that is scheduled to arrive on the 12th (tommorow).

I went in Monday of this week to express my feelings about being lied to by one of these two dealers (directly or indirectly). Most likely the other one lying to my local dealer (but would another dealer really say "it's sold" instead of "we don't want to trade"? That's still on my mind...) They told me they'd call Wednesday night or Thursday after contacting Nissan to find out if the truck will be delivered on schedule. Never heard from them.

Needless to say Im going in tommorow morning to find out what's going on. IF the truck is "late" or something, then I'm simply giving them until Tuesday of the next week to have me a truck, or I'm going to the dealer an hour north to buy off their lot that day, since they have what I want, exactly (and I expect I'd get more for my trade there, large metro area). And I'm tired of waiting to write my 20k check. LOL!

I only have $200 down on a truck, but I know they want the sale. I just don't feel they're working as hard as they could (although they keep saying how many "hoops" they jumped through to make this 2nd trade, which I'm starting to doubt is even a done deal yet).

Trust me, I feel for ya! At least you got a Titan to drive until it arrives. That tells me they honest are trying to get you a truck. But I didn't give them my trade title either, and only $200, so that may also be how they are "stringing you along", like they are me.

And seriously, if it really was "only $200 over invoice", would they really be that worried about me going up north to get it? For $200? I doubt it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another reason dealers get a bad reputation.. Have you ever felt like once the deal is made (if you really feel like you've made a good deal) that you are treated like a one night stand the next day. (not that it has ever happened to me nor have I done it to anyone else, one night stand that is). My guys don't seem to be too concerned about my radio and they were supposed to order me a rear seat belt, maybe it's on back order but you think you would get a call after a couple weeks anyway. You don't want to hear my story on my(possible) trade-in. The dealer is 97 miles away and agree to keep my 97-4 Runner over night as a trade-in (in and out) if my brother decides to buy the vehicle. So I drive the new Titan home and let them know the next morning that he does not want the vehicle. They charge (try to) me upwards of $ 300.00 for leaving it on their lot overnight! I tell them to go ahead and call the law because I'm fixin to get LOUD. Finally the owner tells me he will make the one exception and let me slide! Let me slide! Tell me this before you kindly offer to let me ask my brother overnight. I still haven't got over that. He said the several hundred dollars was for paperwork and that I also qualified for oil changes as long as I owned my (used vehicle that I had to buy back from them)...Like I'm gonna drive 200 miles to get oil changed. Not only that, some smoker drove my wifes 4 runner home cause there were Mickey D bags in vehicle. Luckily I didn't catch that till I got home nearly 2 hours later.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Not only that, some smoker drove my wifes 4 runner home cause there were Mickey D bags in vehicle. Luckily I didn't catch that till I got home nearly 2 hours later.
If anyone ever drove my personal vehicle off the lot without my express permission when I had it in for service, they would be dealing with the police as soon as I found out. Not only would they not have authorization to drive my vehicle, but they certainly wouldn't have authorization for it to leave their lot.

I always make them write down the mileage on the service ticket and if they put more than 1-3 miles on it, they are going to have to do some serious explaining.

Fortunately, I am very satisfied with the service department at my dealership. I had them put on my new wheel locks yesterday (no charge) and they washed it for me without my even asking.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Believe it or not, they claimed that they owned my 4 runner overnight and I had to fill out paperwork and title to get back a car that I had owned for years! The other dealership owner that I had actually made the deal with was at home sick with the flu and was too sick to even talk on the phone....what luck! and could not remember that they had promised me a bed extender with the truck! I finally jogged her memory and got the extender. Better be carefull with these dealers some can find a way to get you. I'll have a voice recorder next time I deal with any car dealership thats for sure!

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a similar experience involving a dealer trade I walked away from the exact truck I was looking for last weekend. The lesson I learned (relearned) is never, never, ever, never, ever, never, never, never ever sign the paperwork without the vehicle you plan to drive home in sitting right out front where you can see it. Luckily after a lot of heated discussion the dealership agreed to rescind the contract and refund my downpayment.

Your contract is for a specific vehicle which they have not delivered. That puts them in breach of that contract and, while I am no attorney, would seem to make it void. My only advice would be to get back your down payment immediately. Leave a reasonable deposit and let them keep looking (while you keep the demo). Or if you are pi$$ed off enough, get all your money back, do a search in your local area on the Nissan website, and go buy it from someone else.

(and dealers wonder why they are so mistrusted)

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jon I am in SC as I suspect you are and I would lose my cool

I bought my Nissan in Greenville, SC one week ago. I went to the dealership and was under the impression of one thing and presented another. I threatened to leave several times that night even getting up to walk out the door once. I left at 12:30a.m. with the truck I wanted. I also got mine at dealer invoice + $239 document fee. I was prepared to leave without the truck and go elsewhere. I suggest that you decide if they can benefit you by either giving you a better price for your trouble or give you free services or options. If they can not do any of that, I would look at another dealership and let them know if they can take invoice for their vehicle you can do business if they have it in stock already.

Also you can look at Nissan's web site and search the local dealerships and see what they have in stock. I found my dealership that way. My area turned up about 6 local dealerships.

SC-Titan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow.

I pains me to read some of these stories. Car buying must be different in other states besides Wis.

As far as dealer trades: Yes, it is possible to line up a trade, then have it fall apart at any moment. Either the car is damaged, the car gets sold....they don't want to trade....The customer did not pay enough profit to cover expenses to get the trade done (YES....This influences how a trade works sometimes.)

Keep in mind, unless the dealer delivers a car...they do not get paid, the salesman does not get paid...So even though it seems frustrating...I can assure you it is equally as frustrating on the dealer involved.

Our store is run so completely different..it amazes me sometimes. We don't keep deposits, none of that crap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts