Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though its not exactly that time yet I have been doing a lot of looking around as to which tires I should go with. I have a 2007 king cab with a cst 4" lift with 2" blocks in the back (basically at 39 1/4" up front and 40" in the back). There is a pretty good chance that by the time the tires are on I will have some 5100's up front to put me at a little over 39 1/2" up front. I was set on the 295/70/18 terras but am kind of rethinking/reconsidering them because of torque conversion and weight issues? what are your thoughts on that size? I would like to stay between a 33" and 34" tire. Mostly just a steet truck so wear and noise are important. Here are my possible choices, or feel free to throw any other suggestions out there.

295/70/18: (34.3" largest I would like to go)
Nitto Terra Grappler $222 each discounttirezone.com or tirebuyer.com

285/65/18: (32.6" same height as stock, just more aggressive and beefy)
Nitto Terra Grappler $195 each onlinetires
Toyo Open Country A/T $192 each treadepot.com
Kumho Road Venture A/T $228 each treadepot.com

275/70/18 (33.2" height I like the most, too skinny though?)
Nitto Terra Grappler $184 each onlinetires
BFG A/T $190 each onlinetires
BFG A/T T/A KO $170 each tirecrawler
Toyo Open Country A/T $190 each tirecrawler

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
For mostly street driven Titan with a 4" lift, on an 18" stock rim I would consider this one ... has a 45K mile treadwear warranty and only weighs 52.7 lbs. !!!

It is 33.7" tall, so it won't look too short for a true 4" lift, and the size is LT285/70R18D. Only other tire in this size I know of it the new Toyo M/T that is 34.1" and weighs 17lbs. more, and has a firmer E-load rating. Oh you probably want to know what it is huh. The General Grabber HTS all-season truck radial.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats honestly the exact size that I have been looking for but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Do you have a link or any guidance as to where I can find them in that size?

·
Registered
989 Posts
I also have been looking for a 285/70/18 and waiting for someone else to make them, but the ones NorCal mentioned were the only ones I found. It would be a great size for a leveled/ small lifted titan who want a skinnier tire. Also, don't forget about the 305/65/18 BFG A/T, which are also 33.7" tall and 12" wide but very expensive.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Thats honestly the exact size that I have been looking for but I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Do you have a link or any guidance as to where I can find them in that size?
Check with the site sponsor Discounttiredirect.com, they don't list that size but they do carry the HTS, can probably get it for you. They use the member name of DiscountTire or similar. The site I saw them at is "Out of Stock". Don't know, but maybe they are new size for General too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have been looking for a 285/70/18 and waiting for someone else to make them, but the ones NorCal mentioned were the only ones I found. It would be a great size for a leveled/ small lifted titan who want a skinnier tire. Also, don't forget about the 305/65/18 BFG A/T, which are also 33.7" tall and 12" wide but very expensive.
I also looked at those but they aren't in my price range. I would be willing to go go a 305 but its tough trying to keep it below 34" and have it be that wide without being crazy heavy. I like the tires norcal suggested I just wish they were a little more aggresive

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check with the site sponsor Discounttiredirect.com, they don't list that size but they do carry the HTS, can probably get it for you. They use the member name of DiscountTire or similar. The site I saw them at is "Out of Stock". Don't know, but maybe they are new size for General too.
I appreciate the help. I will def. have to check those out as an option. Thats a great size, I wish there were more options for it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you considered the 285-75-18. Toyo makes them in the open country AT.
Ya I looked at those too but I am unsure about their weight and whether or not they will effect my torque converter. I'm guessing they will since they are basically a 35" tire (i'm pretty sure 34.8" if i remember right). If someone can confirm that I won't have torque converter problems with this or the 295/70/18's I would love to go with one of them.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Ya I looked at those too but I am unsure about their weight and whether or not they will effect my torque converter. I'm guessing they will since they are basically a 35" tire (i'm pretty sure 34.8" if i remember right). If someone can confirm that I won't have torque converter problems with this or the 295/70/18's I would love to go with one of them.
Their M/T is 35.1" and 71 lbs., (not too bad for a 35" Toyo M/T). But it will more than likely affect your TC lock-up into OD, even with 3.36 gears. Their 66 lbs. A/T at 34.8" would also affect it.

I have this issue with a 34" tire, (33.98"), but did not with a 33.5" Toyo M/T. With a 34.5" tire loufish also did, I believe he also has the 3.36 gears. With 2.94 gears I would guess this will happen at a smaller diameter, and the guy that put in 3.90 gears, said that with 2.94's his would drop out of OD for only slight grades on the freeway, (with 35's).

I would try the 33.7 but there are no guarantees, and might be some Titan to Titan differences so someone that has the same exactly configured Titan might not get it, and but you still might. I gambled and lost ... thinking that since 33.5" was ok on my Titan and 34.5" is not on loufish's Titan, so picked a 34.0 but was wrong.

Another nice size is the Toyo M/T in the LT275/70R18E, (66 lbs. though). It is 33.6" diameter instead of the typical 33.2" and 33.3" of the A/T's in this size.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am strongly considering a 275/70/18 simply because of the fact that I have more options that fall into the diameter range that I want. It would be a lighter tire, and even though I would like something nice and wide, I think it will still look pretty nice as long as it has a fairly aggressive tread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts