Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out the correct oil filter for the Titan. Is it the 15208-9E000, or is it the 15208-65F00??
I think my dealer screwed up and put the wrong filter on my truck!
I just so happen to have one of each sitting here in front of me. They seem to have the same threads and the same diameter, however, the 15208-9E000 is about 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the 15208-65F00.
There was a thread posted a while back which showed a filter next to a soda can. I believe that filter was a 15208-9E000.
When I went to the dealer for my free oil change, they put on the smaller 15208-65F00. It's been a few weeks and I'm just noticing it now.
I don't know if it's related, but my truck started making this "chirping" sound recently. I only hear it when I take off from a stop. I hear this "chirp" from somewhere in the front of the vehicle. Every time I stop. I press the accelerater and I hear this "chirp".
Any clues????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pokey said:
I'm trying to find out the correct oil filter for the Titan. Is it the 15208-9E000, or is it the 15208-65F00??
I think my dealer screwed up and put the wrong filter on my truck!
I just so happen to have one of each sitting here in front of me. They seem to have the same threads and the same diameter, however, the 15208-9E000 is about 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the 15208-65F00.
There was a thread posted a while back which showed a filter next to a soda can. I believe that filter was a 15208-9E000.
When I went to the dealer for my free oil change, they put on the smaller 15208-65F00. It's been a few weeks and I'm just noticing it now.
I don't know if it's related, but my truck started making this "chirping" sound recently. I only hear it when I take off from a stop. I hear this "chirp" from somewhere in the front of the vehicle. Every time I stop. I press the accelerater and I hear this "chirp".
Any clues????
hey pokey i went to nissan the other day to pick up 2 oil filters and they gave me 15208-65F00 I HOPE ITS RIGHT !!! if anyone knows if this filter works right let us know, thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hate to throw a wrench in the sockets, but if you look on courtesyparts.com, the code they provide is 15208-A6000. Which still leaves the question...which is the right one?? :boxing:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the 9E

Titanized,

I looked at the one you refered to. Dimensionally, it looks closer to the 9E filter.

On another note, does anyone know what the "high clutch assembly" is???
In my previous post, I stated that I was getting a "chirp" while driving. After doing some internet searching, I found this service bulletin on the nissanhelp.com site.

"SOME APPLIED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CHIRP NOISE AS THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFTS FROM 2ND TO 3RD GEAR, PARTICULARLY WHEN ACCELERATING THE VEHICLE WITH ONLY 1/8 THROTTLE APPLIED, THE NOISE MAY BE COMING FROM THE HIGH CLUTCH ASSEMBLY DURING OPERATION."

This sounds exactly like what mine is doing...
I'm going to call the dealer and see what they say...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe there are a few that work. :huh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
service bulletin clarification

I forgot to specify that the service bulletin I posted was not neccessarily related to the Titan. I'm using it just because of the similarity in symptoms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both?!?

Yeah...this just gets better and better.

I just called two local Nissan dealerships.
The first says the correct filter is the 9E....

...can you see where I'm going with this...

The second says the correct filter is the 65F!!!

It sounds as though they'll both work just fine, but the 9E has a greater surface area.

...I guess that means I'm OK to use the half dozen 65F filters I've already bought!! haha
It just so happens to be the same filter that goes on my wife's Altima!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I did an Internet search for Titan oil filters and the two different ones specified above. It depends on what site you are on. This leads me to the conclusion that either one is fine. In fact I looked at the purolator site, (my favorite filter is Puro One) and under the filter for the Titan it lists all other vehicles that their filter will go on and there are MANY cars and trucks that this filter is used for. I'll bet there were 100 different vehicles that it works on from Chryslers to Mitsus to many Nissans and Infinitis. Sounds like it is a pretty standard filter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The correct part number according to nissan4parts.com is 15208-9E000. The other one is significantly smaller and I would be somewhat worried about using it.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Kyle said:
The correct part number according to nissan4parts.com is 15208-9E000. The other one is significantly smaller and I would be somewhat worried about using it.

WOW! The15208-9E000 is two thirds the size of a Coke can. If the other one is significantly smaller it must be the size of a thimble. :huh:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
WOW! The15208-9E000 is two thirds the size of a Coke can. If the other one is significantly smaller it must be the size of a thimble. :huh:

It is :) It's about probably 1/2-2/3 the size.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does Fram or Mobil 1 make a filter that fits? I would love to slap on a Mobil 1 filter. I had a Murano before the Titan and I could not find a Mobil 1 filter to fit the Murano, and had to settle for a Fram heavy duty filter.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I emailed Fram a couple of months ago and the reply was that they do not have a Titan filter yet. I will NOT put a filter on my Titan unless there is written documentation stating that the filter is approved for that truck. I don't want to allow any room for my warranty to be voided.

·
Registered
662 Posts
meckman said:
Does Fram or Mobil 1 make a filter that fits? I would love to slap on a Mobil 1 filter. I had a Murano before the Titan and I could not find a Mobil 1 filter to fit the Murano, and had to settle for a Fram heavy duty filter.
Don't even mention Fram...they have been very poorly rated for on their oil filters (the el cheapo). Mobil I understand makes great filters as well as the Pure One filters (rated #1 I believe). The Pure One is purolators top oil filter and can usually be found at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. There is already one out for the Titans too.

Check it out: http://www.pureoil.com/

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would go with the Nissan filter. OEM filters typically have backflow valving that prevents pressure loss in the oil system.....this means that the oil doesn't drain out of the filter and back into the motor. This is an advantage because the oil system stays primed and upon starting oil doesn't need to be pumped to re-fill the system and filter.....thus the engine see's recirculating oil instantly and stays better lubricated leading to less friction and longer life.

Some of the aftermarket filters don't have this valve technology.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Memphis4x4 said:
I would go with the Nissan filter. OEM filters typically have backflow valving that prevents pressure loss in the oil system.....this means that the oil doesn't drain out of the filter and back into the motor. This is an advantage because the oil system stays primed and upon starting oil doesn't need to be pumped to re-fill the system and filter.....thus the engine see's recirculating oil instantly and stays better lubricated leading to less friction and longer life.

Some of the aftermarket filters don't have this valve technology.

Very good point Memphis4X4. It is for that very reason that when I change filters I fill the new one up with oil before I screw it on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Howzit Everyone,
Although I have been reading all the posts on this forum since the beginning this is my first post. Anyway I am from Hawaii and I just purchased an oil filter from the dealership where I purchased my Titan and the one I got is
pn:15208-9E000. Also they included copper washer which costed an additional $1.00. I asked what the washer was for and they said it was for the bolt? I didn't want to question any further and just figured I'll see it when I take the filter off. Anyone interested in knowing if there is an Amsoil oil filter available? I'm about to go down and pickup some Amsoil synthetic.

·
Registered
662 Posts
1Titan said:
Howzit Everyone,
Although I have been reading all the posts on this forum since the beginning this is my first post. Anyway I am from Hawaii and I just purchased an oil filter from the dealership where I purchased my Titan and the one I got is
pn:15208-9E000. Also they included copper washer which costed an additional $1.00. I asked what the washer was for and they said it was for the bolt? I didn't want to question any further and just figured I'll see it when I take the filter off. Anyone interested in knowing if there is an Amsoil oil filter available? I'm about to go down and pickup some Amsoil synthetic.
The copper washer is NOT for the filter but for the drain plug bolt. When you remove the bolt to drain the oil toss the old washer and use a new one...gives a better seal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts