Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me the difference between 5w 30 and 10w 30? And is there only one brand of tranny fluid called matic-j?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
In lay terms, 5w and 10w are the cold viscosities of the oil. The lower the number, the lower (thinner) the viscosity and the better is flows when cold.

The "30" is the hot viscosity of the oil. In order to have a multi-weight oil it has things such as VIs (viscosity improvers) that allow the oil to take on different properties at different temperatures. The larger the spread between the numbers (5w and 30) the more VIs are needed, as these VIs break down over time the oil starts to return to its base viscosity and will no longer protect like it should.

More simply put, 5w30 is better in cold weather during startup since it will flow through the engine easier and quicker, resulting in reduced wear. 10w30 is not recommended in extreme cold.

Both 5w30 and 10w30 have the same viscosity/properties when hot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yahooligan said:
In lay terms, 5w and 10w are the cold viscosities of the oil. The lower the number, the lower (thinner) the viscosity and the better is flows when cold.

The "30" is the hot viscosity of the oil. In order to have a multi-weight oil it has things such as VIs (viscosity improvers) that allow the oil to take on different properties at different temperatures. The larger the spread between the numbers (5w and 30) the more VIs are needed, as these VIs break down over time the oil starts to return to its base viscosity and will no longer protect like it should.

More simply put, 5w30 is better in cold weather during startup since it will flow through the engine easier and quicker, resulting in reduced wear. 10w30 is not recommended in extreme cold.

Both 5w30 and 10w30 have the same viscosity/properties when hot.

very well put im impressed

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Yahooligan said:
..........................the The larger the spread between the numbers (5w and 30) the more VIs are needed, as these VIs break down over time the oil starts to return to its base viscosity and will no longer protect like it should....................
Excellent info..............I first became aware of this about 20 years ago
after reading a tech article put out by Exxon.......the wider the
spread in the numbers, the less stable especially at high temp
& more so if the lower number is higher.....like 20-50.
That is related to the reason a long time ago, before synthetic,
"Porsche guys" used straight 30
if possible..........more stable at high temp than muti-visc.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Roadster311 said:
J type tranny fluid is only available at the Nissan dealer. I don't believe that there is a compatable aftermarket type.
Incorrect. AMSOIL makes an equivalent to the Nissan J Matic.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

When it comes time to change my transmission fluid, there's no doubt that I'm going to be using AMSOIL ATF fluid.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Roadster311 said:
J type tranny fluid is only available at the Nissan dealer. I don't believe that there is a compatable aftermarket type.
That is being discussed in at least two forums at this time.
You can find fluids that are recommended....suitable.....compatible etc.
What I don't think you are going to find is one that has the balz
to state.........MEETS NISSAN J-MATIC SPECS or
MEETS NISSAN WARRANTY REQUIREMENTS
I worked in the chemical industry for 31 years & find the use of
the word "compatible" to be a useless comment as regards
meeting spec. The word "compatible" to me means that you
would not get an adverse reaction between J-Matic &
another fluid..........nothing to do with meeting spec.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Juday said:
Incorrect. AMSOIL makes an equivalent to the Nissan J Matic.

When it comes time to change my transmission fluid, there's no doubt that I'm going to be using AMSOIL ATF fluid.
I stand corrected. According to the amsoil info, this stuff is compatable with just about every thing right down to my cold meds. But seriously, if you have a tranny failure during the warranty period and you have serviced it with this "Universal" fluid, you had better have the compatabilty proof or Nissan will deny you warranty. They will make you obtain Amsoils compatability info to prove that their fluid did not cause the failure

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just joined. My first question. Hope I'm doing this right! Can you top off J-Matic tranny fluid with anything other than J-Matic? While changing oil and oil filter, I noticed fluid on my lower engine shield and saw what appears to be leakage at BOTH ends of hose from tranny to radiator. Does that make sense? Has anyone else here seen or had this problem? Again, can I top off fluid if low with other than J-Matic (mix fluids) and if so, what should I add until I can determine problem? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts