Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used the search option but didn't really find the answer i was looking for. I'm seeing alot of people post about broken motor mounts. Other than actually seeing cracks what are the signs to watch for? When i was younger building hotrods and you broke a motor mount you could actually see the engine move. Is this what happens here? Why are they breaking? Does it seem to be a 4X4 thing or 2WD or 50/50 split? Are there certain years that seem affected more than others? Is it from abuse say off-roading are just another inferior product problem? Are there redesigned replacements? Lots of questions here so lets hear fellas/gals. Has yours been affected? How did you know?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
There have been numerous cracked trans mounts but not motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
2 of mine just failed today. Got a call from the dealer about an hour ago. They want nearly $1,000 to fix it. I said no.

I'll take some pics when I pick it up later today.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never heard of any Titans breaking a motor mount....maybe highly moded trucks?
Maybe i had another bad dream last night. LOL No for real i've seen in a couple different threads lately(on here) people mention the motor mounts. Maybe they were misinformed and it was actually the trans mounts. I was stumped because like you guys it was a new one for me. I mean my '04 has had some of the common issues but i was confused that a new one would pop up this late in the game.

Can you guys elaborate on the transmission mounts??

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah I have never heard of a broken motor mount on a Titan, but the tranny mounts break all the time...especially on lifted trucks. I broke mine a couple months ago, and my truck is stock height. Our tranny mount is a really weak design considering the power our trucks can lay down. The rear tranny mount is basically two metal plates held together by rubber. The rubber cracks and then your tranny is able to vibrate up and down and it smacks against the floor of your truck upon heavy acceleration. The telltale signs of tranny mount failure are a loud thump on the floor when you accelerate from a stop, severe shuddering upon WOT acceleration, and excessive vibration when you are idling in drive at stoplights etc. The tranny mounts cost a bit over $100, and take less than an hour to change out. If you suspect your tranny mount is failing, you can look under the truck where the tranny crossmember is, and you will see the mount. You might have to jack up the tranny a bit to be able to tell if the rubber is torn. Right now as far as I know, the only thing available is the OEM design tranny mount. My buddy is working on fabbing up a HD tranny mount using my old broken one, and I will post pics when it is done. But do a search and you will probably find 100's of posts about people breaking tranny mounts. I hope this helps.

Reactions: sleepertrk

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Once upon a time there was a little metal and rubber POS. The rubber tore. . . .
Thanks bac...that gave me a good laugh :lol:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I have never heard of a broken motor mount on a Titan, but the tranny mounts break all the time...especially on lifted trucks. I broke mine a couple months ago, and my truck is stock height. Our tranny mount is a really weak design considering the power our trucks can lay down. The rear tranny mount is basically two metal plates held together by rubber. The rubber cracks and then your tranny is able to vibrate up and down and it smacks against the floor of your truck upon heavy acceleration. The telltale signs of tranny mount failure are a loud thump on the floor when you accelerate from a stop, severe shuddering upon WOT acceleration, and excessive vibration when you are idling in drive at stoplights etc. The tranny mounts cost a bit over $100, and take less than an hour to change out. If you suspect your tranny mount is failing, you can look under the truck where the tranny crossmember is, and you will see the mount. You might have to jack up the tranny a bit to be able to tell if the rubber is torn. Right now as far as I know, the only thing available is the OEM design tranny mount. My buddy is working on fabbing up a HD tranny mount using my old broken one, and I will post pics when it is done. But do a search and you will probably find 100's of posts about people breaking tranny mounts. I hope this helps.
Thanks friend. That is exactly the kind of info i was looking for. I had read a bit on the transmission mount failures on here but i too hadn't heard of motor mount failures 'til i saw it on a few posts here. I suspect they were a little confused on what was actually cracked or broken. Now there is a post several ahead of mine that states he has (2) broken motor mounts. I would like to hear more on that. I suspect if there was a real MM problem it would have showed itself a long time ago. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My T won't be done until tomorrow. I'll see if I can get some pics then.

My left and right mounts are cracked. Not hard to do, especially in the Arizona heat. Although there's no excuse for them cracking at 60k miles.

I'm calling around now to see who will replace them for cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Here we go..on topic.

Let us know how it go, take pics. I've checked mine at 120XXX, don't look to hard to replace for a DIY'er.

L

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello, I have a 2008 titan crewcab 4x4 with a front leveling kit and 3" lift blocks in the rear. Nothing else except 34" tires. I heard the clunking sound when starting off from a stop, so took it to the local mechanic and found the transmission mount was broken. They replaced it, and within a week that one had broken. I tow very little, and don't really hot rod or go off road either. So I took it back to the same mechanic yesterday, and as I suspected, BOTH motor mounts AND the transmission mount is broken. You can shine a light up inside both of them from the bottom and see ripped rubber. Not sure where this started, but apparently when one of three broke, it allowed enough rotation in the motor/transmission under acceleration to twist enough to break the rest of the stuff. So unless I replace everything, its sure to just happen again. I hope its fairly easy to replace those motor mounts, cause I don't feel like paying a grand or whatever that other poster said the dealer quoted. This truck has 71K on it, and I bought it new. Its been an awesome truck, my favorite by far, and the only other issue I ever had was a broken control arm end link which caused me to have to replace two very expensive tires.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
HOLY thread Revival batman!

I want to see pics of said busted motor mounts ... Wonder if PRG would make these since they have the tranny mount already..

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Well then - I want something OTHER than OEM... I am doing my headers soon and this would be the PERFECT time to swap them out..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Header time would be the time to do/inspect the mm's if you suspect problems.
I had to remove my mounts anyway to install my wrapped Stillen LT's. Just loosening them up per the DIY instructions didn't do it for me on my 4x4, at least with the additional thickness of the header wrap.
They were easy to remove and reinstall just make sure you start all 8 bolts(4 on each side} into the block(aluminum) before you do the 3 larger bolts(each side) into the frame.
I've got 150K hard miles on my 2004 and the motor mounts looked as good as new.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts