Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys average out on the highway when towing 2000-6000lbs?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out the MPG and the cost to move from Denver to Miami

·
Premium Member
67,904 Posts
anywhere from 9 to 14, kinda depends on hills, wind, ect...

·
Registered
240 Posts
yeah..I get about 10mpg towing a trailer full of dirt bikes and atvs with the bed full. The titan is a good tow vehicle, but it sucks gas hard....especially if there are hills and/or a stiff head wind.

·
Premium Member
19,154 Posts
I got 12.2 MPG pulling a dual axle enclosed 12x6x6 trailer full of Boy Scout camping gear up to Arapahoe Basin and back. That included a good 45 minutes of idling time.

·
Super Moderator
159,719 Posts
I don't think I've ever gotten more than maybe 11 or 12. As low as 5 or 6 pushing a major headwind. :eek: Average? About 9-10.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. Thanks guys. I put in 11mpg average and it looks like it'll cost me about $1400 in gas and trailers :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Towing a Fleetwood Pioneer 180CK travel trailer weighing about 5K pounds, I average between 7-9MPG,normal freeway speeds. However, one time between SLC and Mesquite, NV I did record a MPG of around 16 MPG. Should explain that I had a tail wind of about 30-35 mph all the way and I did not tow over 65mph, mostly 60mph. Lost count of the semi trucks that passed me on the flat. So you see, it all depends upon the conditions you are dealing with.
Good luck on your trip.
Marv

·
Registered
25 Posts
The longest tow trips I've taken is from WV to the Outer Banks of NC. This is about 550 miles, and I average between 9-10 mpg towing my TT. I generally keep it around 65 MPH. Plan on stopping for fuel every 200 miles (unless you have a LB with larger tank).

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy may be buying an Armada before we move. This will save us money as he will tow the Bronco behind the Armada, and I'll tow the 6'x12' trailer with the Titan. That will save us gas compared to the Bronco which has 300k miles and only a 5.0 V8.. I think it cost me $780 just in gas to go from Spokane, WA to Denver (1,100 miles).

·
Registered
576 Posts
On a 3,000+ mile round trip from Winnipeg, MB to Vancouver, BC and return across the Canadian Prairies and through the Rocky Mountains towing a 23 ft TT (6,000 lbs), I averaged 12.6 mpg (Canadian gallons).

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I think 11 may be a little generous.

I get about 8 towing my boat that's about 6k fully loaded...your best fuel economy will occur if you can keep it between 60-65 mph.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I get around 12 mpg even with hills with a 3500lb travel trailer and fully loaded truck. BTW, I go no more than 60mph since trailer tires are only rated for 65mph.

·
Registered
201 Posts
From upstate NY to Daytona Bikeweek last year we averaged about 10 mpg!!! We had a low of 8 & a high of 11!!! That was pulling a 7x14 enclosed trailer with 2 HD & gear. Not very good IMO.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I tow a 24 ft trailer loaded with quads quite often. I get an average of 10 mpg, which sounds about right where everyone else on here is at. I tell you what though, you won't here me complain about the mpg. This is the best vehicle I have ever towed with. Its almost rediculous how well the tit does with a full load behind her. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want better mileage, get a map of the U.S. and turn it to the right 1/8th of a turn. That way it's all down hill to Florida! That ought save a bunch of gas!:thumbsup:
Have a great trip and drive safe!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts