Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the lower gear ratio in the offroad and tow package I am hitting about 68-69 mph at 2k rpm. Just curious as to the difference of those without offroad and tow package.

·
Registered
780 Posts
67 mph at 2000 rpm...so no wonder i my mpg milage is so low as i cruise around between 75 to 90 mph

·
Registered
727 Posts
70mph looks like 1750-1800 rpms.. ref. my signature.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Running a 2wd KC/SE. No off road or big tow. At 2K rpm in fifth gear - going about 78-79mph. At 2k rpm in fourth gear - looks like 65-66mph.

·
Registered
93 Posts
79-80 mph at 2K rpm in a 4x2, no off-road, no big-tow

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last night I went to move a video game and a pool table on my 14ft trailer, and with the empty trailer I think I was doing about 70 @ 2K on the way up with two other people in the truck. The truck is a SE CC 4 x 4 with the 26570R18 wheels and tires.
I will check again with out the trailer.

With out trailer, or anyother passengers, I am @ 80mph +/-

·
Registered
202 Posts
How good does that Subaru run?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yesterday I checked this out and I was running about 78-80mph at 2k rpms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so it looks like the lower gear ratio titans run about 200 rpm higher going about 70mph than the other titans. thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
yup...mine is 68-69 at 2k rpm with big tow and off road...

Have to report though...trip from san diego to Disney back home here to Hemet with most of that being spent at 60-70mph (lil slower than normal commute) we avg'd 16.8mpg.

Next weekend I will be making a trip to Sacremento so we will see what that looks like :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
hwwaaahhhhh said:
Excuse my ignorance... but can someone explain to me what "Overdrive" is exactly.
On a manual transmission, overdrive is when the engine is turning slower than the driveshaft (less than 1:1 ratio). For example, if the engine turns .7 revolutions and the driveshaft turns a full revolution, you have an overdrive situation and a ratio of .7:1

Where I'm fuzzy on "overdrive" is when it applies to Automatic transmissions. Most Auto trannies are "4 speed with overdrive" (except for the Titan, of course). I don't believe there are actually 5 cogs in the tranny in a 4+O tranny. Rather, I believe it's more of an "effective ratio" thing. 4th gear might effectively be 1:1 with a certain amount of torque converter slippage (there always is, unless you have a locking torque converter). Then, when "overdrive" kicks in, (meaning the torque converter locks), the mechanical ratio is in effect (which might be .7:1 or so). This is why you see the RPMs drop when overdrive engages.

If someone more versed than I about automatic transmissions could either confirm or clarify this, that would be great. I'm pretty sure it's correct, but I don't want to be the purveyor of false info!

HS

·
Registered
497 Posts
your right 4th is 1:1, 5th gear is .834:1

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just checked mine.....my Armada is a 4x2 LE with tow package (its standard on LE's) and at 2k rpm's i'm dead on 70mph.
Sooo, tell me if my 'reasoning' makes sense....most folks without the tow package seem to be going approximately 79-80 mph at 2k...in order for my engine to do 79-80 it will have to work harder by turning more revolutions, therefore causing my gas mileage to be a little worst than theirs. DOES MY REASONING MAKE SENSE OR AM I COMPLETELY IN LEFT FIELD?? If ya haven't figured it out I'm not too mechanically inclined :crying:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts