Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have surfed this forum for quite some time but have never posted. Mainly because I didn't want to be blasted because I couldn't find the info anywhere. Truth be told I have but there seems to be several opinions on the topic so I thought I would just ask if anyone has this particular set up and what if any modification or trimming was needed. Some unnecessary background first. I bought my 2011 Titan SV 4WD used with 60k miles and have put 150 on it. I was thinking of trading it in but I have a soon to be driver in the house and I figure it would be a pretty sweet first ride for him. Only upgrades is exhaust and intake. Just changed the plugs, flushed all the fluids, replaced a couple seals and a ball joint. Hopefully get several more miles out of it and be a safe ride for the boy.
All that being said the shocks and struts are shot and need to be replaced. Figured I would level it out with some 5100's or RC N3's. While I'm at it get some reasonably priced rims and larger tires. The question is will I have any rubbing running 325/60/18's with either the Bilstein's or rough country leveling struts? Bonus question, the rims come in a 00 offset or I can go -12. If I did how far would they stick out and would they rub.
Love seeing everyone's rigs and learning new things, thanks for the feed back. Feel free to call me an idiot as well, I have been called worse. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go 5100s and top notch.
On the tire question, that’s pretty wide on a 0 offset and I hope someone can answer for you but I fit 275/70r18 on factory rims no rubing. One thing to think about, those are going to be heavy tires, and will effect handling negatively.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go 5100s and top notch.
On the tire question, that’s pretty wide on a 0 offset and I hope someone can answer for you but I fit 275/70r18 on factory rims no rubing. One thing to think about, those are going to be heavy tires, and will effect handling negatively.
That's a tad shorter but about 2 mm slimmer? How does your truck handle with those? I wouldn't be doing any serious off roading but want a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a tad shorter but about 2 mm slimmer? How does your truck handle with those? I wouldn't be doing any serious off roading but want a more aggressive look.
your 325 would be 315mm wide vs my 275mm wide, so 50mm of width difference between the two. Height wise we would be about the same.

With better shocks the truck handles the added weight ok, but things are a little more floaty above 80. The rear used to rattle and jolt around more before putting on 5100s. When turning the wheel at a dead stop, the power steering pump strains a little more and the wheel feels heavier. Its not bad, but going with a lighter tire/rim combo is always better. Might make sense to go 20inch rim combo to save on weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that. Actually just purchased the 5100's. That all makes sense, I'm running a 265/70/18 now so a 325/60/18 is about .5 inch taller and almost 3.5 inches wider. I could see how that may put some strain on things.
As far as a bigger rim goes, wouldn't that be more weight? I would think the added rim material would weigh more than that same amount of tire? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you for that. Actually just purchased the 5100's. That all makes sense, I'm running a 265/70/18 now so a 325/60/18 is about .5 inch taller and almost 3.5 inches wider. I could see how that may put some strain on things.
As far as a bigger rim goes, wouldn't that be more weight? I would think the added rim material would weigh more than that same amount of tire? Am I wrong?
I could be wrong but going with bigger rims gives you less rubber, which usually makes the tire & rim lighter. If you go with a really heavy rim, then the point is mute. I think you will be fine with 18inch rims. Thankfully there is a good selection of aftermarket 18s so we have plenty to choose from.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
367 Posts
Hello all. I have surfed this forum for quite some time but have never posted. Mainly because I didn't want to be blasted because I couldn't find the info anywhere. Truth be told I have but there seems to be several opinions on the topic so I thought I would just ask if anyone has this particular set up and what if any modification or trimming was needed. Some unnecessary background first. I bought my 2011 Titan SV 4WD used with 60k miles and have put 150 on it. I was thinking of trading it in but I have a soon to be driver in the house and I figure it would be a pretty sweet first ride for him. Only upgrades is exhaust and intake. Just changed the plugs, flushed all the fluids, replaced a couple seals and a ball joint. Hopefully get several more miles out of it and be a safe ride for the boy.
All that being said the shocks and struts are shot and need to be replaced. Figured I would level it out with some 5100's or RC N3's. While I'm at it get some reasonably priced rims and larger tires. The question is will I have any rubbing running 325/60/18's with either the Bilstein's or rough country leveling struts? Bonus question, the rims come in a 00 offset or I can go -12. If I did how far would they stick out and would they rub.
Love seeing everyone's rigs and learning new things, thanks for the feed back. Feel free to call me an idiot as well, I have been called worse. Thanks!
If you have a son that's just about old enough to drive, you're old enough to still call them wheels (not rims)...I bet he would be ecstatic about getting this truck - not sure if it's a surprise or not but it sounds like a really nice / cool first vehicle. If it were my truck, I'd go with the 18" wheels - I like more sidewall. But, for a 16/17 year old, I'm sure he'd chose the 20" wheels every single time. Either way, you will probably lose 1 mpg with added tire weight. Not a big deal - just a trade-off. Like darkgenerals said above (i think), the width of the tire is going to be your challenge. I would always keep the wheels and tires as-close to OEM positioning as possible - it's just better for the components. Level it first, then run some trial and error at the local tire shop / find someone that will work with you. With the right wheel, a 33 x 12.50 would look ideal. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Please do no listen to darkgenerals, top setting on the 5100s will be pretty stiff and if youre installing the spring yourself its going to be very difficult. You can go about this a few ways, If you go over about 1.5" you risk getting coil bucket contact. You can either run the 5100s on the middle perch and call it good, run them on the bottom and install a 1.5" spacer, OR run them on the middle setting WITH a 1.5" spacer and aftermarket upper control arms. No matter the wheel you choose you'll likely end up needing to do the pinch weld mod, its simple and common. Stock wheel offset is about +25 I believe so based on the offset alone theyll stick out about 1" more. If the wheel is wider than the stock that'll at to it. +0 offset its a pretty nice offset though, not too wild but will have a nice little poke.

Reactions: Southern Yankee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please do no listen to darkgenerals, you can go about this a few ways. If you go over about 1.5" you risk getting coil bucket contact. You can either run the 5100s on the middle perch and call it good, run them on the bottom and install a 1.5" spacer, OR run them on the middle setting WITH a 1.5" spacer and aftermarket upper control arms. No matter the wheel you choose you'll likely end up needing to do the pinch weld mod, its simple and common. Stock wheel offset is about +25 I believe so based on the offset alone theyll stick out about 1" more. If the wheel is wider than the stock that'll at to it. +0 offset its a pretty nice offset though, not too wild but will have a nice little poke.
Wtf are you talking about? 5100s on the top perch is maybe 1 inch and you won’t get contact unless you combine them with pro4x springs. Do you want a picture as proof?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I’m on my 3rd Titan and have run 5100’s on all of them, and every other combination including 6” lift etc. I’m sure you know better though. OP can read through hundreds of posts in here including the lift/level over view and decide who he thinks is right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I run the bilstein 5100’s on my 2013 SV Titan at the top perch and they ride great. I put some ballistic jesters on it with 265 70 nitro terra grapplers. Doesn’t feel stiff to me, but compared to stock it’s way better.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Top perch on the 5100 for a Gen1 Titan is 2" of lift. With almost every 2008+ 4wd Titan, adding 2" of lift will get coil bucket contact (CBC), and either eventually end up with cracked UCAs or require aftermarket UCAs to clear. This has been experienced and proven by many Titan owners on this board over the years.

Go read the overview thread (stuck at the top of the suspension section of this board) on leveling a first generation Titan. Tons of valuable info in there. Speaking from experience, with more than 1.5" of lift on a 2011 4wd, aftermarket UCAs are a must. Additionally, the spring height for the Pro4X is not different from the spring height for other 4wd Titans of the same year. I know because I've measured several and aside from tire diameter differences, there is no ride height difference. Factory Service manual bears this fact out as well, as it lists the same ride height for all 4wd Titans by cab style. The Pro4X springs may be a slightly higher spring rate and thus ride a little stiffer, but I'm not sure about that.

As tires go, you will save no weight in a given tire, with the same specs, comparing tires of the same width/diameter in 18 and 20" rims. They're going to weigh within a pound of each other. But 20" rims will be heavier than 18s almost across the board when comparing the same rim in both sizes, making the combo heavier on the truck. That will cost you fuel economy and handling/braking. Some of the handling will be regained in the stiffer sidewall on the 20" tire, but none of the braking nor fuel economy. And due to the stiffer sidewall, ride will be mildly harsher with 20s, if running the same spec of tire in terms of load range.

Don't want to get in a pi$$ING match over this stuff, but some of the info you've been given above is wrong. Study the info on this site and you'll find the best path forward.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts