Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed while i was under the truck the other day what do you think it is.. i dont think wheel bearing because it is a sealed bearing, and i dont think it is the CV joint because the boot is in good shape and it is not wet around the boot, it seems to be grease not oil or brake fluid. notice how the gold flange nearest the spindle on the driver side is gold and how it is black on the passenger side, also notice teh difference of the boltheads in the spindle

Driver side

passenger side

·
Registered
779 Posts
StuntDriver06 said:
. i dont think wheel bearing because it is a sealed bearing,

It is supposed to be sealed, I think your bearing has lost some grease. I would get it changed if you could under warranty.

·
Registered
978 Posts
pull the rotor off and see what it looks like on the other side. If it is not making any noise and it doesn't feel sloppy, i would clean it up with some degreaser and hose it off with a garden hose, i wouldn't use a pressure washer. Then keep an eye on it to see if it continues to seep. What ever has happened here looks like it has stopped, because it looks fairly dry from your pictures. If it is the case that that grease in the bearing boiled out, then i would think that you will soon start to hear or feel some rumblings coming from that wheel. Also do your calipers look clean, any sign of seepage from the seal?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Energizer said:
could it be old tire dressing?
possibly, but it seems to be centalized where the shaft goes into the hub...

both have some just the passenger more than the driver...

it seems to be dry in the pics, but i can wipe some onto my fingetr with a quick swipe... it seems that is a slow seep and the dirt and dust has caked in with it over time... i will investigate further when i get time... thanks for your replies fellas, keep em coming

:cheers:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Brake dust?

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
My honest opinion is that it's grease from the wheel bearing. Do as kman stated and jack up that wheel, then grab top and bottom of the tire and try pushing in on top and pulling out on bottom back and forth quickly. If there's slop, the wheel bearing is toast. I replaced a wheel bearing on mine at around 20k. The dealership told me they had replaced quit a few so far. I guess that's why they didn't hassle me about my larger tires.

It's not tire dressing: who does that to the inside of their tires? It wouldn't be anywhere near this location and not in such a great amount.

It's not brake dust: brake dust is just that, dust. This is a greasy substance (empasis on the greasy part)

It's not the cv boot leaking: the cv boot would be covered with grease and it would have flung off all over the inner fender liner.

It's not brake fluid: if your brakes were leaking fluid that bad, you would know it when you stepped on the brakes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts