Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing that spacers typically aren't a good idea on trucks. Is that so?

I was trying to have new wheels put on and they are rubbing. Guy said that spacers would fix this, but then I'm not so sure that is a good idea.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Is it bad to grind calipers down some to make a wheel fit?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
well in most cases spacers arent the best idea. a lot of gearheads would argue that, but the fact of the matter is, by usisng a spacer, you reduce the amount of threads that your wheels torque up to the hubs, thus making them not as secure.

as far as grinding brake compoents down...im honestly not sure, but it doesnt sound like the best idea

·
Registered
188 Posts
i have paper thin spacers on my with stock studs. 10k on them work fine. just rotated them and checked everything, looks good. as for the grinding, i have also done that on an older truck. it worked fine but i was a little worried about it. not the best idea. good luck

·
Registered
249 Posts
Depending on the width of the spacer, ask about ET shanks. It's a lug that has thinner extended section to reach through the holes in the spacer.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I had to grind the bracket which holds the caliper on to make my wheels fit.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
i'm sure the correct wheels are a LITTLE more expensive than spacers
Of course...

If you need a .250" shim to clear the calipers, that's one thing, if you need a 1.00" studded spacer you bought the wrong wheels...I'm NOT trusting a set of studded spacers to take the loads a truck puts on them, this isn't some 3500 lb street car, it's a truck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i posted pretty much the same question a while ago and a lot of people gave me negative opinions that hadn't actually used them, and a lot of people gave me positive feedback that HAD used them. in other words the people that used them didn't have problems with them and the ones that didn't use them were afraid to. until i see someone post that they had spacers or studded spacers that failed, i say go for it. one thing i was told by everyone however was to make sure the spacers are hub-centric.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
one thing i was told by everyone however was to make sure the spacers are hub-centric.
Yes they should...I'm not very trusting when the studs are in aluminum...
In my world you take the extra time and get the correct wheels....And if I goofed, I'd sell them, even at a loss, to get the correct ones...I don't install things that "might" hold up, I want things that I know will hold up...

·
Registered
265 Posts
loufish said:
...I don't install things that "might" hold up, I want things that I know will hold up...
where'd you get those quotation marks from lou? no one on this post or the one i'm referring to said they "might" hold up, or even "won't" hold up for that matter. anyways, you could say that for any part on our trucks, but like i said until someone tells me truthfully, "I have used wheel spacers and they failed on me." I've got nothing but positive feedback given to me.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I had to put 1" spacers and new studs on the back of my F350 Diesel to get my 46s to clear the back leaf springs and I never had any trouble with them. Even when I flipped the truck, they held up fine.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
where'd you get those quotation marks from lou? no one on this post or the one i'm referring to said they "might" hold up, or even "won't" hold up for that matter.
The quotation marks were mine to emphasize my meaning...Another reason why I don't chat or text people, it shows no emotion that can be important to a healthy conversation...If we were having this same conversation around the campfire, there wouldn't be any miss-cues to how each of us presented our side of the story...

·
Registered
189 Posts
loufish said:
Yes they should...I'm not very trusting when the studs are in aluminum...
In my world you take the extra time and get the correct wheels....And if I goofed, I'd sell them, even at a loss, to get the correct ones...I don't install things that "might" hold up, I want things that I know will hold up...

I didn't like any of the wheels that (as you say) fit my truck. So we went with a wheel that had the incorrect offset. We used a 1" billet, hub centric, wheel adapter. The adapter is studded, and built by an offroad company for rock cawling applications. The adapter was very expensive (about $100 per corner), so you can see that money wasn't the issue.

We have been running these adapters on our 22" wheels w/ 35" tires for over 30,000 miles now without a single problem. I am sold on the adapter.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
We have been running these adapters on our 22" wheels w/ 35" tires for over 30,000 miles now without a single problem. I am sold on the adapter.
Do much hard off roading with those 22" wheels?...

Whether I'm in Barstow or Baja, I don't want to worry if they'll hold up...You think differently when you don't want to be stuck in the middle of the desert...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts