Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally got around to rotating my tires for the first time and noticed some rather odd torque settings on the first wheel I removed. Some of the lug nuts spun off real easy and some were just adequate feeling. So I checked the torque on the other 3 wheels and found they ranged anywhere from 50 to 75 ft. lbs. A far cry from the 98 that Nissan calls for in the owners manual.

I would HIGHLY recommend everyone check your wheel torque because this could not only be considered dangerous but could also have a large impact on warped rotors. So far I have no rotor warpage problems with just over 7000 miles on my truck but usually improper wheel torque is the culprit for this problem.

Time to grab the torque wrenches all and let me know if anyone else finds low torque settings like I did.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds like the dealer may have switched tires at one time, prior to delivery to you. At the factory they are usually installed with a calibrated air wrench, I would think.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got a torque wrench the day after I was informed of the warped rotors on my truck.

Apparently, Nissan will be issuing a TSB related to the warped rotor issue by the way (which must mean that others have had the same problem as well).

Karl

·
Registered
294 Posts
www.durocab.com said:
Karl, impressed with awsome trailer set-up! How's that Titan pulling that thing?
Many thanks durocab, we thoroughly enjoy both. The Titan pulls it great...60-65mph up 6-7% grades.

Karl

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmm, tire pressure way off from the factory AND lug torque too low... I'll add retorquing them to my list of things to do this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will be amazed how many times I have to re torque my wheels on the race car! After EVERY run session I check the lugnuts. It is not uncommon on high stress to have this... I would imagine in a truck due to the weight, load and stress this to apply as well...
A torque wrench is always a handy thing to have around and check things out at least every two weeks...

·
Registered
152 Posts
DJF1 said:
You will be amazed how many times I have to re torque my wheels on the race car! After EVERY run session I check the lugnuts. It is not uncommon on high stress to have this... I would imagine in a truck due to the weight, load and stress this to apply as well...
A torque wrench is always a handy thing to have around and check things out at least every two weeks...
DJF1: On my 911, I had to change to the steel lug nuts for the track because of the heat expansion/contraction cycles that the aluminum ones go through versus the steel studs. On your race car are you using the aluminum ones.

With that said, doesn't the Titan have steel studs and steel lugs? This should minimize the heat expansion/contraction factor and just leave the factors that you mention.

·
Registered
495 Posts
DJF1 said:
Danny, is that you from Rennlist?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
karlconnell said:
I got a torque wrench the day after I was informed of the warped rotors on my truck.

Apparently, Nissan will be issuing a TSB related to the warped rotor issue by the way (which must mean that others have had the same problem as well).

Karl
What torque wrench would you recommend? Craftsman has one for specific for wheel lugs, but its $140 and maybe I should get a Snap-On off of Ebay for that much $.

·
Registered
497 Posts
mines under 24-35 lbs. thanks alot for telling us, im gonna read the manual inside and out a few times lol. on page 8-37 is says after rotating wheels to retighten lug nuts at 600 miles. they should of suggested this for new trucks also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
bestatchess said:
What torque wrench would you recommend? Craftsman has one for specific for wheel lugs, but its $140 and maybe I should get a Snap-On off of Ebay for that much $.
I got the Craftsman (50-150ft. lb model I beleive) for $70 with a 9 inch extension for $9 and it works great. When it comes to a torque wrench I would prefer to buy new so you know what it's been put through at a place that is convenient, so I usually buy Craftsman. Snap-On is certainly good to but I don't know what their warranty policy is on torque wrenches.

Karl

·
Registered
12 Posts
amati5 said:
Danny, is that you from Rennlist?
Yeap! Learning about the mighty TITAN! Need a tow truck :upsidedow

Memphis, I use steel lug nuts, I would not dream using the stock ones and at any rate they are not allowed anyway at PCA Club racing...still even with steel lug nuts I have to re-torque ( granted not by much) at least ones within a race day.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
karlconnell said:
I got the Craftsman (50-150ft. lb model I beleive) for $70 with a 9 inch extension for $9 and it works great. When it comes to a torque wrench I would prefer to buy new so you know what it's been put through at a place that is convenient, so I usually buy Craftsman. Snap-On is certainly good to but I don't know what their warranty policy is on torque wrenches.

Karl
O.K., thanks, off to Sears I go (hopefully before the wheels start falling off). I had one come off at about 35 MPH on an old Landcruiser after a shop rotated the tires, not cool at all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
bestatchess said:
O.K., thanks, off to Sears I go (hopefully before the wheels start falling off). I had one come off at about 35 MPH on an old Landcruiser after a shop rotated the tires, not cool at all.
Ya, I had the same thing happen on a Jeep after I had new tires and rims put on. Scared the crap out me when the lug hit the inside of the wheel well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
After reading JetForeman's post, I decided to take my Titan to a local garage and had them re-torque to 93lbs. There sure was some re-torqueing needed on all wheels. This with 940 miles on my new Titan.
I also, as recommended on this forum, changed the oil. I bought the oil filter at the dealership. To my surprise, the thing was tiny for a truck filter. I then bought 8 quartz of Chevron Supreme 5w-30, as also recommended on this forum.
I feel good now. The TitanTalk forum rocks! Thanks, guys!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
JetForeman said:
Today I finally got around to rotating my tires for the first time and noticed some rather odd torque settings on the first wheel I removed. Some of the lug nuts spun off real easy and some were just adequate feeling. So I checked the torque on the other 3 wheels and found they ranged anywhere from 50 to 75 ft. lbs. A far cry from the 98 that Nissan calls for in the owners manual.

I would HIGHLY recommend everyone check your wheel torque because this could not only be considered dangerous but could also have a large impact on warped rotors. So far I have no rotor warpage problems with just over 7000 miles on my truck but usually improper wheel torque is the culprit for this problem.

Time to grab the torque wrenches all and let me know if anyone else finds low torque settings like I did.
Thanks for the tip JetForman. Sears/Craftsman makes a torque wrench for tightening lug nuts. I like Sears tools because of their low price and no hassle return policy. The link below is the torque wrench I will probably buy unless anyone has a better idea.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944600000&bidsite=CRAFT

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
Thanks for the tip JetForman. Sears/Craftsman makes a torque wrench for tightening lug nuts. I like Sears tools because of their low price and no hassle return policy. The link below is the torque wrench I will probably buy unless anyone has a better idea.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944600000&bidsite=CRAFT
It says here

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...00944600000&tab=service&bidsite=CRAFT#tablink

that the warranty is only 90 days. I thought Craftsman used to have a lifetime warranty on tools?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I wonder if the low torque readings everyone is getting is because of lugs stretching a bit?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts